packing! what shouldn't we forget?

2 weeks til we pack our last of the last things in our bags.   what are things we shouldn't forget to bring on our cruise?

we've read most of the packing type posts on here and got really good recommendations 

now that we are actually packing, suitcases are out:., what are the things we shouldn't forget?   

here is a short run down of cruise critic inspired things we are bringing:  door, decorations, magnets, over the door shoe holder for accessories, non-surge, protector plug extension cords, European plug adapter for plug under bed, comfortable shoe and other clothing suggestions including formal night hacks; clothhing steamer with auto shut off,  tickets to excursions booked off the ship, medicine (mini pharmacy), binoculars (going to alaska), travel guide with map,  dollar bills...

please share with us the things to pack as many of us will wish we had something you'll share:  

thanks again! 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, FrankieJayIII said:

2 weeks til we pack our last of the last things in our bags.   what are things we shouldn't forget to bring on our cruise?

we've read most of the packing type posts on here and got really good recommendations 

now that we are actually packing, suitcases are out:., what are the things we shouldn't forget?   

here is a short run down of cruise critic inspired things we are bringing:  door, decorations, magnets, over the door shoe holder for accessories, non-surge, protector plug extension cords, European plug adapter for plug under bed, comfortable shoe and other clothing suggestions including formal night hacks; clothhing steamer with auto shut off,  tickets to excursions booked off the ship, medicine (mini pharmacy), binoculars (going to alaska), travel guide with map,  dollar bills...

please share with us the things to pack as many of us will wish we had something you'll share:  

thanks again! 

That's a great list. One thing I learned here on CC that I love and is so useful  is a battery powered candle for the bathroom at night. Its a soft glow so you don't have to turn on the bright lights and then be blind going back to bed.

Be aware, the clothes steamer might be confiscated.

Have a great cruise!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, FrankieJayIII said:

thanks again! 

There is an iron in the laundry room if you need it. 
Print your travel summary. Documents.

Masks and covid test, just in case. Pair of gloves, travel umbrella, disposable ponchos.

Patience.  

Have a great cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

That's a great list. One thing I learned here on CC that I love and is so useful  is a battery powered candle for the bathroom at night. Its a soft glow so you don't have to turn on the bright lights and then be blind going back to bed.

Have a great cruise!

For the bathroom we really like the below night lights.  They plug into the bathroom "shaver" outlet just right.

20230402_072957.thumb.jpg.8d464b375893b883659ddb905ff1cf1c.jpg

Screenshot_20230402-073156_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.50c9e5af97200f928f6f430644b644fc.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

Have a great cruise!

You are right about the steamer .. not allowed and there is a laundromat on each passenger deck.  
And the battery powered candle is brilliant.  I always take a motion detector light for the bathroom .. it’s small and not bright and does the trick!  I use one in my bathroom at home as well.  
I can’t stand being woken up with that bright light in the hallway in the middle of the night.  So, we bring something to cover that, as well.  

I also take a white noise machine so, I’m happy even if my room is noisy.  We usually pack light but these items are a must for us for any room now.  It blocks out all those noises that would otherwise keep us awake.  

We also take cough drops and cold medicine just in case there is something spreading throughout the ship.  The shops onboard may be closed our out of supply when you need it the most.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

we use the battery powered 'tea lights' - one on each side of the bed, and one in the bathroom.

we also take a battery powered travel clock/alarm - I know, I know - but my phone might be charging on the desk ...

• Like 1

I like to go down to the International cafe in the morning and grab us coffee and the croissant of the day first thing in the morning.  I take a Rubbermaid shallow box to carry stuff in, works at lunch for soup and sandwiches too.  I pack my underwear or socks in it.  I also take some small and medium baggies and just in case sea sickness medication (haven't needed it in years, but never know).

• Like 1

Blue painters tape to cover the motion sensing lights. Just wrap about 18 inches around a popsicle stick and toss that into your toiletry bag or a catch-all bag if you use one.

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alaska. Rain jacket and layered clothing. Closed toe shoes for foul weather. Some opaque tape. You may require it to block out the motion light sensors and other things. You mention meds. Suggest you include, if you haven't already done so, OTC items such as motion sickness pills, decongestant, cough drops, aspirin, etc. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On all cruises I bring a few gallon and quart size zip top bags. They're good for keeping an emergency sandwich or other snacks in the fridge when I want a little something and don't want to go out or call room service.

On my first Alaska cruise I was mainly prepared for cold and rainy weather. I was unprepared for the warm and sunny weather I encountered! Wish I had brought another pair of shorts, a couple more polo shirts, and sunscreen.

Edited by cavecreekguy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FrankieJayIII said:

thanks again! 

Steamers are not allowed.

I bring baggies & saran wrap to keep things fresh from buffet or room service for emergency midnight snack     :O)

A thermometer that sticks on the outside of the glass so you can see the outside temp.

Under $10. on Amazon.

A shawl. Sometimes at dinner or show you can get stuck under the air conditioner.

Writing paper & pen. Sometimes you no longer get that in your cabin

Cocktail napkins.

slippers

Tooth repair kit...You can get them at the drugstore...I actually broke a tooth on a Princess cruise many years ago.

A small plastic, rectangle container with different sections for the bathroom. Only measures 5"x 2" .I got it at the dollar store. Holds my toothbrush, toothpaste, mascara, etc upright

• Like 2

Just now, FrankieJayIII said:

thanks again! 

Other things might be;

Clothes pegs for pinning the curtains together

Emergency dental kit

Bag for taking to the pool

Evening bag

Plastic gloves for the buffet

Carabina clips

Pens and notepad

Travel fan

Tide to go pen

Pump Hand soap

Ear plugs

Wipes for wiping down the touch points in the cabin

There are some items other cruisers claim they cannot live without (but I definitely can);

Pop up laundry hamper

Towel clips

Highlighter pens

And don’t forget the obvious;

Passport

Travel documents (insurance, tickets, cruise confirmation etc.)

Sun cream (just in case even though Alaska)

Hand sanitiser

Hat

Raincoat

pain relief, sea sickness tablets etc.

• Thanks 2

IF you dont have a drink package, and have time to visit a store (not flying in), some canned drinks for the fridge.

tea bags (the kind you like, I drink decaf tea, but dont care for the selection available on board).

The good news is that there are stores near the dock in Ketchican and Juneu (and not real close in Skagway- follow the crew!) you can pick up anything that you missed. 

do you have or use a cell phone battery pack, just in case?  camera, extra battery and sd cards?

I like to pack the chewable pepto tablets (also, just in case). They are small, light and nice to have When You Need Them!

IF you have allergies, bring something for that, as May is Spring in Alaska!  The water will have yellow streaks from the many pine tree pollen and the flowers in towns will be HUGE and in full bloom! 

• Thanks 1

just off a 22 day cruise....there are a lot of great suggestions above....BUT !.... I am surprised  after 19 replies .....that no one suggested duct tape! dont leave home without a small roll! 

have a great cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, tml1230 said:

just off a 22 day cruise....there are a lot of great suggestions above....BUT !.... I am surprised  after 19 replies .....that no one suggested duct tape! dont leave home without a small roll! 

have a great cruise!

and a travel size can of WD40 to spray on the balcony slider door!🦄

• Haha 1

Just now, tml1230 said:

have a great cruise!

I’m intrigued, why the tape?