Missing items (magnets/toothpaste) from luggage ?

nhlfan99

Hi All,

We just arrived back home from the May 14th British Isles sailing on the Norwegian Dawn in which we had a amazing time on board and at the ports. We had put our two suitcases out the night before disembarkation and when we unpacked our luggage here back at home it was obvious that someone had gone though the suit cases and removed all the magnets we collected at each port and of all things a tube of toothpaste. 

I'm curious if anyone has had magnets stolen from their luggage or other personal items from Norwegian ships?  

Thanks, Doug

1 hour ago, nhlfan99 said:

Hi All,

We just arrived back home from the May 14th British Isles sailing on the Norwegian Dawn in which we had a amazing time on board and at the ports. We had put our two suitcases out the night before disembarkation and when we unpacked our luggage here back at home it was obvious that someone had gone though the suit cases and removed all the magnets we collected at each port and of all things a tube of toothpaste. 

I'm curious if anyone has had magnets stolen from their luggage or other personal items from Norwegian ships?  

Thanks, Doug

Did you take a flight home and if yes were they there when you checked in at the airport? We had our bags gone through and stuff missing twice traveling by air. We did self assist walk off.

Edited by Peachypooh

For a variety of reasons, I do self assist.  Had a checked bag stolen at Charles DeGual (sp?) airport in Paris.  I had a tracker in it.  I could actually track it leaving the airport.  Never recovered but showed the track to Delta Airlines.  They reimbursed me fully, as they said someone associated with the airport was the likely culprit.  And, that they’d reimburse me even though they didn’t think it was their fault.

A tag will do no good if you can’t recover the luggage.  Now, my luggage stays with me from disembarkation until I get it home.  

If it was locked, TSA would have a key to unlock it.  If they suspect something is in your luggage that is prohibited, they’ll take it.  But, they’ll also let you know they opened it for inspections.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

We did not lock our bag luggage before placing in the hallway (lesson learned) and yes we did take a NCL transfer to Heathrow and checked in our bags there for a nonstop flight back to Austin. The tube of toothpaste was inside my shaving bag and it was found half unzipped and the bag of magnets were rolled in swim wear inside a space saving bag that again was not fully zipped up when we arrived home. 

Interesting thing is that our dining room server on the May 1st RCL - Anthem TA cruise had mentioned that he had 100+ magnets that he had collected from ports so makes me think it must be a thing for ship crew to also collect magnets.

Edited by nhlfan99

Wouldn’t make any sense, but who knows?  Theft of ANY KIND by crew is dealt with prosecution, loss of job, and restitution.  To risk that for a few magnets seems crazy.  But, I’ve heard stranger things.

• Like 3

Between the corridors of the Dawn and home, where did the luggage or bags travel thu - the items could've been taken anywhere along the way, possible or not.  

Was the luggage open by airport security when it was x-rayed ?  Does it have a TSA approved lock - security at other airports abroad (I stand corrected on this) do NOT necessary have the keys or tools to open them, and what some of us will do is - use a simple zip tie at the airpor at the check-in counter/bag drop, to secure the zippers on soft side bags, but this cannot be done with the hard shell with the fixed locks.  If the zip tie(s) were cut, you'll know it was tampered with upon collecting the luggage on arrival at home.  It might've been open for safety/security inspections while in transit, and removed for a visual & not returned before the bag was closed up - and being abroad, dealing not with TSA - no notice was placed inside.  But, the magnets taken is something else ... 

When we flew home from Spain via Portugal to NY earlier this month, we got rid of all of our mini toiletry items, including "used" toothpaste, to slightly "lighten" our overall luggage weight, LOL.  Apple AirTag, that's our newest addition when traveling and as much as not an iOS fan, it paired up with the mini iPhone SE to "mind" the belongings when on the go. 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

I use zip ties as well.  Anyone searching the internet will find how simple it is to open travel locks including TSA locks. Keys or no keys.  I follow a simple rule, if you care if it gets stolen carry it with you.  Sucks but that’s how it is these days. 

• Like 4

We usually travel carry-on only these day but, back in the day when we checked bags because we were traveling with kids I deliberately bought only cheap-o luggage from Walmart.  I just think expensive designer luggage has got to be more attractive to thieves. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Trivan said:

I use zip ties as well.  Anyone searching the internet will find how simple it is to open travel locks including TSA locks. Keys or no keys.  I follow a simple rule, if you care if it gets stolen carry it with you.  Sucks but that’s how it is these days. 

Been doing the zip ties for years.  Only times it was tampered with (twice) was by TSA, who left a card in the suitcase and resealed it with a generic (translucent) zip tie of their own.

Sure, someone might cut into it if they want to.  But it'll slow them down and, more likely than not, have them just go to an easier-to-enter suitcase.

• Like 3

Sorry about your magnets. My parents collect magnets when they go on cruises and they have some really cool ones. I haven't had anything stolen from inside my suitcase but I had a lucky four leaf clover charm stolen from the outside of my bag. I had the charm locked onto the handle of the suitcase with a mini lock. I checked my bag with the porters when I got on the ship and when it was delivered to my room, both the lock and the charm were gone. While I'm kind of bummed about it, it wasn't a big deal. The charm didn't have any sentimental value or was worth anything. I found it while moving some boxes out of my attic and threw it on my suitcase because I thought it looked cute. Sucks that people think it's okay to steal from others.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Been doing the zip ties for years.  Only times it was tampered with (twice) was by TSA, who left a card in the suitcase and resealed it with a generic (translucent) zip tie of their own.

Sure, someone might cut into it if they want to.  But it'll slow them down and, more likely than not, have them just go to an easier-to-enter suitcase.

It's actually dead easy to undo a zip tie and re-fix it. You need nothing more than a simple toothpick.

Sounds like security went through your belongings. A roll of (souvenir) magnets might have triggered airport security scanning checked luggage, their heavy density shows on the screen of the x-ray/whatever ray they use nowadays. The souvenir shapes might even add to the complexity of the dense object on their computer screens. But your luggage would at least have a sticker or a note inside I presume.

I can't imagine people on a British Isles cruise going through other's luggage in the corridor on the last evening in hope of getting some toothpaste.. :classic_wacko:

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, AllyG47 said:

Sorry about your magnets. My parents collect magnets when they go on cruises and they have some really cool ones. I haven't had anything stolen from inside my suitcase but I had a lucky four leaf clover charm stolen from the outside of my bag. I had the charm locked onto the handle of the suitcase with a mini lock. I checked my bag with the porters when I got on the ship and when it was delivered to my room, both the lock and the charm were gone. While I'm kind of bummed about it, it wasn't a big deal. The charm didn't have any sentimental value or was worth anything. I found it while moving some boxes out of my attic and threw it on my suitcase because I thought it looked cute. Sucks that people think it's okay to steal from others.

The way suitcases are thrown around...it probably just got knocked off.

It's really odd and I agree that no crew member would risk their job for magnets and toothpaste.  Here's what I guess happened:  Security opened the bag, went through your stuff.  Maybe took those items out to see what they were exactly.  Then they re-packed your bag but were in a hurry and accidentally left out the items.  They were busy and didn't notice the oversight until the bag had already gone on its way.  Maybe the next bag they searched even "inherited" your items mistakenly.

• Like 1