'Go to first unread' issue (is it just me?)

I hope someone can help me. Trying to keep up with all of the Venezia posts (which are amazing BTW), and when I click on the circle to left of topic to read next 'unread post', sometimes it takes me to the next one, most times it doesn't. It takes me to the newest page only, then I have scroll down to find the next unread post. Very frustrating! Also, sometimes I see a 'star' next to the topic, not the circle. What does this mean?  Thank you for your help. 

• Like 1

Have you clicked on the "follow" button at the bottom of the review(s) (on mobile device, cant remember where its at on a PC since i dont use my PC to follow reviews) and then set it up to get emails whenever a new post is made on the review? You will then get an email that will take you right to the first unread post. 

If you use different devices to read the forum (say a desktop PC and a phone) the forum software might not accurately track the "last post read" flag.

Or maybe it's just being goofy again.

It has been pretty accurate for me recently. Knock on wood.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Greyhoundcat said:

I hope someone can help me. Trying to keep up with all of the Venezia posts (which are amazing BTW), and when I click on the circle to left of topic to read next 'unread post', sometimes it takes me to the next one, most times it doesn't. It takes me to the newest page only, then I have scroll down to find the next unread post. Very frustrating! Also, sometimes I see a 'star' next to the topic, not the circle. What does this mean?  Thank you for your help. 

No, you are not the only one. It used to work better. I wonder whether @ProgRockCruiser’s comment is the answer. I use both my phone and my desktop to browse. 

18 hours ago, Greyhoundcat said:

It takes me to the newest page only, then I have scroll down to find the next unread post

Sometimes the site / my browser can be slow. I've found that waiting for several seconds (more than 5 Mississippis) after the page appears generally allows enough time for the page to position properly. Interrupting that process usually results in having to manually scroll to the first unread post.

3 hours ago, broberts said:

Sometimes the site / my browser can be slow. I've found that waiting for several seconds (more than 5 Mississippis) after the page appears generally allows enough time for the page to position properly. Interrupting that process usually results in having to manually scroll to the first unread post.

Interesting. 

My problem is that a page might have a post with many pictures.  When I open the thread, it will open in the pictures, which I’ve already seen.  On some forums, just clicking on the thread takes you to the last unread post.  You no longer need to click on the circle or Star.  But other times you have to click on the circle…but it doesn’t work.  Irritating.  EM

@Host Carolyn Thank you for moving this thread to the correct forum earlier today! Folks often forget about this forum. It is located at the top of the Cruise Critic Community list of forums right under Welcome to Cruise Critic.

FYI to all reading this thread,

Whenever you wonder if you need help, always check this forum first. Note the large amount of "How to..." pinned threads toward the top of this forum's first page.

To start off, please read the pinned thread: How to: Find most recent responses to a topic

And for those that need information on how to set their notifications for when they Follow a thread or forum, please read another pinned thread: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info).

Personally, I no longer use email for Cruise Critic notifications. I have all mine set to Notification List. Then when I first login to Cruise Critic, I just click the Notifications Bell to get the clickable list for all of mine. Works for me & I love the fact I am not drowning in emails!

Click your user name located upper right over the small Search bubble in the blue bar. Next, click Account Settings. Under Other Settings, click Notification Settings. On the next page to appear, click Mentions & My Content and Followed ContentClick the little down arrow to open each section and make sure each item is set for your preference. 

Also, click this link:  Manage Followed Content You will see a list for Topics I Follow.

• To the right of each topic you can select change preference and make your choice OR you can completely unfollow the topic.  
  • You can also check the boxes next to each topic to make changes to multiple topic notification preferences at once.
  • If you use our Gallery Feature, make sure to look at the left of the page when you are viewing your managed content.  There is a menu there to select the tabs for albums and images to choose how you receive notifications for items you follow there.

And for "slowness", often clearing your Cruise Critic cookies and Internet cache will clear up most difficulties. Perhaps something in the following will help:

How to Clear Cookies for a Specific Site

How to Clear Internet Cache in Every Major Browser

Disclaimer: I only have a desktop and laptop... cannot help with phones.

Sincerely hope something in this post will be helpful to someone!

Happy sails,

Host Kat 

On 5/30/2023 at 9:26 PM, Essiesmom said:

My problem is that a page might have a post with many pictures.  When I open the thread, it will open in the pictures, which I’ve already seen.  On some forums, just clicking on the thread takes you to the last unread post.  You no longer need to click on the circle or Star.  But other times you have to click on the circle…but it doesn’t work.  Irritating.  EM

Some browsers have a page load progress indicator. Chrome on Android for instance displays a thin blue progress bar above the page area. The page is not entirely loaded while that bar advances. Until the page is "fully" loaded, the browser cannot navigate to the first unread post.

Patience is required.

• 2 months later...

I’ll try that “patience”trick and see if it works. 

It has been driving me nuts that when I click “next unread topic” and it goes to a thread with lots of pictures, even with several intervening text only posts, I still wind up having to scroll through all those photos and intervening posts to get to the new posts. 

In case the answer isn’t Be Patient, what is the solution to this problem?

4 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

I’ll try that “patience”trick and see if it works. 

It has been driving me nuts that when I click “next unread topic” and it goes to a thread with lots of pictures, even with several intervening text only posts, I still wind up having to scroll through all those photos and intervening posts to get to the new posts. 

In case the answer isn’t Be Patient, what is the solution to this problem?

I don’t know but I have the same issue.