Best Guess on Formal nights

blue cow dog

Hi all, it's been a long while since we have cruised (we got a bonus day due to covid on our last cruise)   I am trying to guess on what night formal night will be on the following itinerary.   I am guessing the second one will be on the second to last sea day but not sure which night the first one will be  

Saturday Fort Lauderdale

Sunday Princess Cays  9:00 am  4:00 pm

Monday At Sea

Tuesday San Juan 9:00 am  10:00 pm  (too late to be formal Night ) 

Wednesday St Thomas 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Thursday At Sea   (Guessing Formal Night)

Friday At Sea

Saturday Fort Lauderdale

Thanks     

50 minutes ago, Doug R. said:

Why do so many cruisers worry about which nights are formal?

So they know which nights to book (or not) as specialty dining?  Some folks care, some not. If you don’t, you likely aren’t able to help.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Doug R. said:

Why do cruisers care about anything?  I would bet there is something you care about that others don't.  Lots of people love formal night MDR.  Lots of others don't.  They like to plan ahead.  "Be prepared."

• Like 3

Almost definitely the Monday and Thursday nights.  Sunday is a "private island" port call, and the 4:00 p.m. departure time gives the ladies too little time to make sure their beauty is at its finest.  So it will be Monday, an at-sea day.

I have never seen a formal night on Princess on the last night -- the last evening is for packing, putting luggage out for pick-up, and if the last night is formal, then the formal wear has to be hand-carried off the ship.  Doesn't work that way.

Enjoy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blue cow dog said:

Because those are the nights I will book either balcony dining or a speciality restaurant. 

So, if I understand what you're saying, on those formal nights when they really put something special out there in the MDR at no additional charge meaning, as an option, escargot appetizer, steak and lobster main course and special desserts, You'd rather pay US$40/pp for pasta? (I think that's the Sabatini's charge now, whatever it is.) OK. If that's what you want, go for it.

Your question gets asked often and I too have been curious to ask why, but thank you for answering Doug R.'s and my question.

Edited by mtnesterz

40 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

So, if I understand what you're saying, on those formal nights when they really put something special out there in the MDR at no additional charge meaning, as an option, escargot appetizer, steak and lobster main course and special desserts,

Well, I guess "something special" is in the eye of the beholder.  I don't eat snails, and the lobster is dinky and dry.  I can get a steak at CG on that night, and I don't have to go for pasta at Sabatini's.  Have you heard the old saying "To each his own"?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

So, if I understand what you're saying, on those formal nights when they really put something special out there in the MDR at no additional charge meaning, as an option, escargot appetizer, steak and lobster main course and special desserts, You'd rather pay US$40/pp for pasta? (I think that's the Sabatini's charge now, whatever it is.) OK. If that's what you want, go for it.

Your question gets asked often and I too have been curious to ask why, but thank you for answering Doug R.'s and my question.

Being I’m highly allergic to shellfish I avoid MDR on lobster night.   I can get escargot in the crown grill. I don’t eat carbs so I don’t go to Italian. To each their own for their own reasons 

2 hours ago, blue cow dog said:

Because those are the nights I will book either balcony dining or a specialty restaurant. 

Your welcome Events Listing (formerly Princess Patter) will indicate the full voyage schedule with formal nights.  

I know many people hook-up with their cell phones with what is going on in the ship, but for me, I STILL enjoying looking at the Patter (paper) that tells everything is going on, and this way if there is something I want to do, I just mark it with a big X, and that way I already know ahead of time what my agenda may possibly be.

2 hours ago, beshears said:

I just mark it with a big X, and that way I already know ahead of time what my agenda may possibly be.

I use highlighters, pink and blue.  Yellow doesn’t have enough contrast

for my eyes.

4 hours ago, Kay S said:

Well, I guess "something special" is in the eye of the beholder.  I don't eat snails, and the lobster is dinky and dry.  I can get a steak at CG on that night, and I don't have to go for pasta at Sabatini's.  Have you heard the old saying "To each his own"?

Did you notice I mentioned those menu items, "as an option."

Yes, I have heard that old saying. I guess you missed my very similar thought writing, "If that's what you want, go for it."

Edited by mtnesterz

17 hours ago, Doug R. said:

They have to plan out every detail of the cruise including what they'll be eating, drinking, what clothes to wear and what shows to attend on any particular night. 😄

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Doug R. said:

I don’t believe that “worried” is the right word.  These folks just like to be prepared and they enjoy making plans ahead of time.  Nothing wrong with that.  Why do so many CC members *worry* about what others are doing and why they do it?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Doug R. said:

Why do so many book a cruise with formal nights and then throw shade at those who want to dress up on formal nights?

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, MTNest93 said:

Why do so many book a cruise with formal nights and then throw shade at those who want to dress up on formal nights?

You've got that turned around. The formalists can dress up every night if they care to. No one has ever degraded them for dressing up.

It's their choice. 

Actually if they made every night formal, we all could expect better food in the DR. 😀

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, MTNest93 said:

Good question! If you want to dress formally, more power to you. My wife and I got beyond that point several cruises ago, she always dresses nice and I don a jacket and dress shirt. I wasn't throwing shade it was an honest question.

Edited by Doug R.
  • Like 1