Odd things we sometimes like to bring with us on a cruise

larrybritt

14 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

We/I have carried wipes for years.  We used to get some sidelong glances when we'd get on a plane and wipe down the armrests, seatbelt buckles, and tray tables.  In hotels/ships we would wipe down the light switches, the remote, and door handles.

Sargasso, I think you’re absolutely right to wipe down stuff, airplane tray tables especially. Have you read recent articles about plane passengers using their tray tables to change their babies’ diapers? I wouldn’t want to rely on a quick wipe from airline cleaning staff!

Correct me if I’m wrong but speaking of unusual things to bring on a cruise, I believe I have seen small emotional support dogs in what look like infant strollers. Is that the case or did I imagine it? Not making any negative judgements at all. I love animals but I was just wondering how the ship deals with possible flea issues in the cabins. Also where do the dog owners “walk their dogs”?

• Like 1

20 plus years ago I can remember making fun of my mother-in-law when I saw her packing her own cleaning rags, bottle of lysol, and spray can of disinfectant as she got ready to go on vacation to Europe and while I'm not quite that bad I must admit I do pack Lysol or Clorox wipes and am one of those that wipe things down in the cabin when we first arrive.  The cabin stewards do a good job of "with a lick and a prayer" type cleaning but I have found that the older I get the more germophobic I get. Plus, they are so busy on turn around day and have so many cabins to take care of there is just no way they can do a really good cleaning job of every little surface and object that needs to be cleaned.  Besides, I'm the crazy lady that used to clean my house before the cleaning team came.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Should being the key word.

People should wash their hands after using the restroom and before eating.  Many don't and thus they spread disease.

That's why we take precautions to keep ourselves safe and don't depend on others to do the right thing.

I have always believed that a little bit of muck never does you any harm, in fact it probably helps to keep your immune system in top working order. We have never bothered trying to second guess whether the cabin steward, or room maid in a hotel, have done their jobs properly, and never picked up any illnesses as a result, maybe we have just been lucky, or perhaps worry and stress leaves you more likely to suffer from the ever present germs?

• Like 1

Service dogs are allowed I think they limit how many per cruise last year on the Discovery I saw 2 dogs on board one was a German Shepard for a blind person and the other was a yorkie for a diabetic they have a relieving area somewhere on board.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Eleanor Rigby 14 said:

Sargasso, I think you’re absolutely right to wipe down stuff, airplane tray tables especially. Have you read recent articles about plane passengers using their tray tables to change their babies’ diapers? I wouldn’t want to rely on a quick wipe from airline cleaning staff!

Correct me if I’m wrong but speaking of unusual things to bring on a cruise, I believe I have seen small emotional support dogs in what look like infant strollers. Is that the case or did I imagine it? Not making any negative judgements at all. I love animals but I was just wondering how the ship deals with possible flea issues in the cabins. Also where do the dog owners “walk their dogs”?

We’ve seen that on Carnival and RCCL with the service dog in the stroller,

dressed with a bow to match the lady’s outfit!  😳

They have puddle pads for the dog and there was also a place on the promenade deck marked for dog’s relieving station.  They walk them on the promenade deck or upper sun decks.

• Thanks 1

Our extra’s include magnet’s, highlighters, towel clips, eyeglass repair kit, and an old blue princess tote bag. We don’t like the brightness of the closet light but want some light at night. So we use magnets to secure the blue bag over the closet light leaving a bit uncovered. This way we can see the lip of the bathroom entrance but it’s not bright enough to wake each other up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

I believe they determined the problem to come from a deflective TV. 

If that is true, how many threads have we seen about using the input ports on the TV Sets? As I said, I would not want to do anything that could give them a reason to point a finger at me.  This thread is about turning off the auto light outside the Bathroom in the cabin, and while taping is a quick easy fix, I will call the cabin steward, to correct so no way we could be blamed for anything.

• Like 1

So, something I haven't brought before but I'm bringing this time is a cheap bed sheet to tuck around the loveseat in the room. The last time we cruised was in a family suite and the group before us must have had out of control kids because there was jelly or syrup or something all over that couch. Our steward tried to clean it as soon as we brought it to his attention, but we still found sticky spots as we would sit the rest of the trip. We also joked about what other things are probably embedded in those couches and were so grossed out we're going to see if we can use a sheet as a protective cover this time. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KatRangoon said:

So, something I haven't brought before but I'm bringing this time is a cheap bed sheet to tuck around the loveseat in the room. The last time we cruised was in a family suite and the group before us must have had out of control kids because there was jelly or syrup or something all over that couch. Our steward tried to clean it as soon as we brought it to his attention, but we still found sticky spots as we would sit the rest of the trip. We also joked about what other things are probably embedded in those couches and were so grossed out we're going to see if we can use a sheet as a protective cover this time. 

Or, the cabin steward could just give you a sheet for it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Yehootu said:

We had an extended balcony and I brought on a Coleman lounging chair for my wife to use on our balcony. That way she didn't have to worry about getting a lounger after the hogs had been out. I almost used to sleep on as the Crowns mattresses were broken down horrible.

@YehootuWhen were you on the Crown last? I'm getting worried about the condition of the mattresses. I may switch to another sailing on another ship. Crown has many pluses, over the Royal class ships, but a bad bed is not acceptable. TIA 

9 hours ago, Sarnia 432 said:

I asked my dentist about using a dental repair kit for one of my crowns, when we were going on an extended vacation.  He said not to use them as the subsequent removal of the crown would be extremely difficult.  He suggested taking polident (a fixative for securing dentures).  Telling me it would hold the crown securely and he would be able to refix the crown on my return.

Fortunately my crown “behaved” and I didn’t need to use anything.

I would double check with a quick call to your dentist to see what is recommended.  Crowns are expensive and you wouldn’t want to damage it.

Thank you for this information.  It makes perfect sense.  I wasn't able to get a dental kit while shopping last night but will pick up some Polident just to keep in the travel kit.

Before my retirement I used to travel weekly across the country. My best buddy on trips quickly became large binder clips. These are great for curtains and shades that don't block all the light, blankets that are too short or that fall off the bed, keeping my towel on a lounge chair in the wind, hanging up clothes to dry, and a million other tasks...

• Like 5

18 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

How do you donate clothes at the end of the cruise?  

Not very successfully.  When we arrived in our cabin on our most recent cruise, there was a sweater (neatly folded) and a pair of ladies Formal Night shoes on the nightstand between the bed and the sofa (in a Mini-Suite) with a note on top that said "Please donate these items or give to a crew member."  The clothes and note were right there in the open, and the cabin steward could not have overlooked this.  Indeed, he had to have cleaned around it.  And yet, the items were not removed from our cabin.  So the steward obviously had either the interest nor the ability to find these items a new home. 

During the course of our journey, I bought a new coat and wanted to retire my old one, which was still in "donatable" condition.  When we departed, we place the coat alongside the sweater and shoes with the same note that the previous guest had written and left it all on the bed.  I have no confidence that the clothes met any fate other than a trash bin somewhere.    

• Thanks 1

I almost forgot our other oddity.  PLUTO!!  This was my daughter's favorite stuffed animal when she was 2 years old and she carries it with her on all of her travels even today.  Pluto has been to four continents and countless countries.  We even made up a dog tag for him in case he is ever lost or misplaced.  Here he is at Olympia:

img%5D

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Not very successfully.  When we arrived in our cabin on our most recent cruise, there was a sweater (neatly folded) and a pair of ladies Formal Night shoes on the nightstand between the bed and the sofa (in a Mini-Suite) with a note on top that said "Please donate these items or give to a crew member."  The clothes and note were right there in the open, and the cabin steward could not have overlooked this.  Indeed, he had to have cleaned around it.  And yet, the items were not removed from our cabin.  So the steward obviously had either the interest nor the ability to find these items a new home. 

During the course of our journey, I bought a new coat and wanted to retire my old one, which was still in "donatable" condition.  When we departed, we place the coat alongside the sweater and shoes with the same note that the previous guest had written and left it all on the bed.  I have no confidence that the clothes met any fate other than a trash bin somewhere.    

I picture this donation idea being carried on and on and on. One day one of us here is going to enter our cabin on arrival day only to find a room that looks more like a Goodwill Drop-off Center. 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I have always believed that a little bit of muck never does you any harm, in fact it probably helps to keep your immune system in top working order. We have never bothered trying to second guess whether the cabin steward, or room maid in a hotel, have done their jobs properly, and never picked up any illnesses as a result, maybe we have just been lucky, or perhaps worry and stress leaves you more likely to suffer from the ever present germs?

For some spot on R rated humor on the subject, Google "George Carlin - Germs, Immune System".

"We were tempered in raw................."

"The germs didn't have a chance"

Our Cruise packing list contains:

• A Packable Fan to keep the air moving in the room
  • Digital Hygrometer and Thermometer so I can tell if I truly am hot or just crazy
  • Collapsible Clothing Hangers because there are never enough in the room
  • Magnetic Hooks to hang literally everything
  • Over-The-Door Shoe Organizer that does not go over the door but is hooked to the ceiling to keep small things organized
  • Bungee Clothesline to dry bathing suits in the room rather than the bathroom
  • Magnetic Door Decorations so we can find our door (including a photo of my adorable fur baby, she is too cute to keep to myself)
  • Pen, Sharpie, and Highlighter
  • Postcard Stamps if we will be in US ports
  • Clothes Hamper to corral the dirties
  • Covid Tests, DayQuil, NyQuil, Cough Drops, and various other symptom relief options because I'm afraid to buy them on the ship and be "flagged" that we're sick when we really just both have mold and dust allergies that don't mix well with hotel rooms
  • Powdered Honey because the junk that comes when you order tea is just corn syrup
  • EmergenC and Benefiber packets to keep things regular 
  • Shaker Bottle, Baby Bottlebrush, and Dish Soap because I like to make a magic potion of green tea, EmergenC, Benefiber, and a little honey each morning - shake it up, pour it over ice, and chug - then wash in the sink
  • Gatorade Packets for hydration
  • Card Games for boredom - ensuring that 2 people can play if we don't make friends
  • Candies from Indonesia and the Philippines to thank the crew with treats from home - easy to find at the local asian grocery store 
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

If that is true, how many threads have we seen about using the input ports on the TV Sets? As I said, I would not want to do anything that could give them a reason to point a finger at me.  This thread is about turning off the auto light outside the Bathroom in the cabin, and while taping is a quick easy fix, I will call the cabin steward, to correct so no way we could be blamed for anything.

Changing the input into their TV certainly wouldn't affect it. If the TV was bad, that's another story altogether. 

If there so concerned about electronic devices causing the problem  then they should ban people from bringing on board ANY devices.  

2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

I almost forgot our other oddity.  PLUTO!!  This was my daughter's favorite stuffed animal when she was 2 years old and she carries it with her on all of her travels even today.  Pluto has been to four continents and countless countries.  We even made up a dog tag for him in case he is ever lost or misplaced.  Here he is at Olympia:

img%5D

I approve wholeheartedly! 😍

--Pluto_fan

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

We’ve seen that on Carnival and RCCL with the service dog in the stroller,

dressed with a bow to match the lady’s outfit!  😳

They have puddle pads for the dog and there was also a place on the promenade deck marked for dog’s relieving station.  They walk them on the promenade deck or upper sun decks.

Screenshot_20230602-150711~2.png

• Haha 1