No Tank Tops or Baseball caps during the day?

AtA

From the FAQ's of what's allowed during the day:
NOTE: Swimwear on its own, wet swimwear, revealing clothing, bathrobes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps, and clothes bearing any offensive messaging are not permitted.

All I wear during the day are tank tops! And no baseball caps? Does that include the OC baseball caps with the old logo?

• Like 1

Presumably this ruling applies to the restaurants and indoors, not to the open  deck?  Even so, some people will not like having to remove their baseball caps, which sometimes seem to be glued to their heads all day and every day.  Not sure what a tank top is; in the UK it is a sleeveless sweater you wear over a shirt.  Maybe it is what I now know is called a 'wifebeater'?

10 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Presumably this ruling applies to the restaurants and indoors, not to the open  deck?  Even so, some people will not like having to remove their baseball caps, which sometimes seem to be glued to their heads all day and every day.  Not sure what a tank top is; in the UK it is a sleeveless sweater you wear over a shirt.  Maybe it is what I now know is called a 'wifebeater'?

Firstly, this is rather poorly worded. I agree that it must refer to indoors as otherwise, what is one expected to wear when swimming or in a hot tub !! 

As per Mr Google, in the US a tank top is what we might describe in the UK as a sleeveless vest or singlet. As for baseball caps, I will definitely need to modify if this, IMHO, rather silly guidance is enforced. Being rather follically challenged on top (😀), I habitually wear one is sunny climes and it will be a real bind to keep taking it off when indoors, as well as trying not to lose it ! I am sure that there are many others in my situation. Personally, I can't see this guidance sticking.

24 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Yes like a wifebeater.

I also agree.Wording needs work to clarify this.  

Much of this is not very new..  I am sure it applies to indoors. And any controversies today there were some who didn't agree with it before.

I wear a cap (baseball, sports etc.) outdoors due to less hair on tip. Part of age. But I just remind myself if going to Market Place or other venues indoors to remove it.

Just like views on evening attire everyone has their own views on this.

On a side note, one time I am in the Fitness Center very early in the morning and a gent I know comes in to weigh himself. I guess he wanted to know his weight without clothes because as the bathroom came off he was in his birthday suit. I know TMI but clearly while not in the rules good common sense say birthday suits are not permitted other than in your own room. LOL.

Keith 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Much of this is not very new..  I am sure it applies to indoors. And any controversies today there were some who didn't agree with it before.

I wear a cap (baseball, sports etc.) outdoors due to less hair on tip. Part of age. But I just remind myself if going to Market Place or other venues indoors to remove it.

I agree a baseball cap should not be worn in the restaurants indoors, but this makes it seem like you can't wear one indoors at all or even outdoors. I see no reason if someone is in a class, shopping in one of the stores or sitting in one of the lounges or library why they can't wear a baseball cap.

And a tank top is not just a wife beater. In fact in warm weather, it's all I wear. I have tank tops in every single color. And many women wear a version of a tank top at night. Then it's called a camisole. 

And who is the arbiter of what is revealing clothing? Some might consider the ad above that Hunky posted too revealing.

And again, what is an offensive message?

Even if the rule remains worded this way, I have to think they'll take a common sense approach to enforcement.  I can't imagine they'll tell someone at lunch on the lido deck to remove a baseball cap.

7 hours ago, lincslady said:

Or, if you're Onslow on Keeping Up Appearances, you don't bother with the shirt!! 🤪

• Haha 2

Most Crystal cruise I can remember someone walked into the dining room on formal nights in jeans - I never saw anyone from Crystal go up to that person and not allow into dining room.  Why would someone "violate" dress  code like that? 

3 hours ago, nnn said:

Even if the rule remains worded this way, I have to think they'll take a common sense approach to enforcement.  I can't imagine they'll tell someone at lunch on the lido deck to remove a baseball cap.

Yes. They always have. Normally if there was an issue they would put a reminder in Reflections. 

Keith

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Leejnd4 said:

But I imagine if someone walked into Waterside wearing a stained wife-beater and a Yankees cap over his mullet, he might be advised to change before being seated.

Especially the Yankee's cap!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The good news is we are talking about Crystal and all of this is reminiscent of many discussions about attire.

The reality is once on the ship much of this is forgotten and most people do follow the recommendations.

Just as on land many places do have guidelines and most people are good about following them.

But just as we see on this board some follow the guidelines while some either push it to the limit or don't follow them.

The guidelines are important though as it does allow the HD's to followup when needed.  I am not saying each and every time but here are times when they do.  But unlike here they do it discreetly so no one other than the person who they are addressing the issue knows about it unless that person chooses to let others know.

Keith

• Like 2

I've worn jeans to waterside. Generally, they're nice jeans that aren't blue. And I've never seen anyone complain. It's not the letter of the wording, but the spirit is pretty clearly avoiding ripped or distressed jeans or anything heavily branded, and probably not blue. Black jeans or grey don't really looks like "jeans" they're just more like textured pants.

8 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Whenever we have a dress code thread I am reminded about the Crystal cruise where there was an older man who wore denim overalls every day. Never saw him in the evening, so I don't know what he wore then. 😉

Patty

Oh, trust me on this, you didn't want to find out....

This paragraph from NC is so poorly constructed as to be nothing to be concerned about.  But this is CC, so concern we must.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Embowaf said:

I've worn jeans to waterside. Generally, they're nice jeans that aren't blue. And I've never seen anyone complain. It's not the letter of the wording, but the spirit is pretty clearly avoiding ripped or distressed jeans or anything heavily branded, and probably not blue. Black jeans or grey don't really looks like "jeans" they're just more like textured pants.

I agree.

I know with OC on casual nights Jeans were permitted even though they were not explicitdly mentioned in the write-ups as long as they weren't torn jeans. 

While I agree with some that wording could be better it will never be perfect. I am reminded that when we went business casual years ago where I worked getting it all down on paper so people understood and there could be minimal deviation was next to impossible.

In the end, most guests to follow or come close to the guidelines.  Do all?  Absolutely not as we know from not saving chair inside and outside the ship. Most don't. Some do. So it goes.

Keith

9 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

In the end, most guests to follow or come close to the guidelines.  Do all?  Absolutely not as we know from not saving chair inside and outside the ship. Most don't. Some do. So it goes.

Keith

And now, in one thread, we have hit on two of the three most common and controversial topics on Cruise Critic: dress codes and chair hogs! Now all we need to do is talk about booze smuggling and we'll hit the trifecta. (Sadly, that won't happen here - Crystal doesn't care if you smuggle booze aboard their ships.) 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Leejnd4 said:

And now, in one thread, we have hit on two of the three most common and controversial topics on Cruise Critic: dress codes and chair hogs! Now all we need to do is talk about booze smuggling and we'll hit the trifecta. (Sadly, that won't happen here - Crystal doesn't care if you smuggle booze aboard their ships.) 😉 

You forgot the trash can doilies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Leejnd4 said:

Some more than others! 😝

But I imagine if someone walked into Waterside wearing a stained wife-beater and a Yankees cap over his mullet, he might be advised to change before being seated.

Well, with regard to the Yankees cap, someone may have to have a word with John Joseph!  🙂     

• Haha 1