Liberty of the Seas passenger fined for cannabis aboard ship in Bermuda

8 hours ago, psumother said:

I did feel violated but understand that this is not the US.

You've obviously never had a compex inspection check entering the US. 

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Thanks 1

Violated? Be thankful this was Bermuda and not a European country? Actually - have you never been pulled aside for secondary screening at US airports? Miami in particular? This is a whole other level of violation, fear, and intimidation.

Not to mention Boston - had to take off my Sperry’s - my sockettes came off - was holding them in my hand - security never heard of sockettes before - turned into a major incident because they thought I was trying to get something past security - just a pair of cotton socks, and I had to remove most of my clothes in secondary screening while I was searched because I was determined to be a flight risk. No lies.

Edited by RD64
Additional

35 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Violated? Be thankful this was Bermuda and not a European country? Actually - have you never been pulled aside for secondary screening at US airports? Miami in particular? This is a whole other level of violation, fear, and intimidation.

Not to mention Boston - had to take off my Sperry’s - my sockettes came off - was holding them in my hand - security never heard of sockettes before - turned into a major incident because they thought I was trying to get something past security - just a pair of cotton socks, and I had to remove most of my clothes in secondary screening while I was searched because I was determined to be a flight risk. No lies.

We all would go to Concerts in Detroit in 70-80s. Had 3 cars full last time we went. We headed home, one Car decided head to Canada for a Club "Show". On Canadian side the Agent saw a baggie with couple Joints in it. They got pulled, strip search to their Under-roos, car was thoroughly searched inc the Door panels. Nothing else found, they were turned around sent back to US with Door panels in the trunk

10 hours ago, psumother said:

This is nothing new and not a scam.  Bermuda has been doing random searches of crew and guest cabins before Covid.  I personally had my cabin searched in Bermuda.  It was before Covid.  I did feel violated but understand that this is not the US.  They searched all my drawers and the bathroom.  There was a female agent with them.  Again, this is NOT new and NOT a scam.  No need for discussion.  It is what it is.  When you travel outside the US, you are bound by that country’s laws.  If you don’t agree with it or like it, don’t travel outside the US.  It’s that easy!!!

Wow, Luann!  😮 

On 6/8/2023 at 12:28 PM, Jasukkie said:

That amount of a fine is not going to deter most people from bringing it along. Is one banned for life from Royal after this sort of thing? Put off the ship?

Really? I'm surprised since I think that's a lot of money just to be bringing some drugs onboard. 

1 minute ago, njkruzer said:

Fine wasn't impoeed by the ship, it was from Bermuda. 

So I'm guessing they had to pay before allowed to leave. Do you know what would happen if they didn't have the money or a cc?

32 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

So I'm guessing they had to pay before allowed to leave. Do you know what would happen if they didn't have the money or a cc?

They probably would have to have the money sent. One thing I noticed this year the fines reported seem to be less. Under $2000. A few years ago the fines were $3000 to $7000. But I don't know that all the fines are reported. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 9:28 AM, Jasukkie said:

That amount of a fine is not going to deter most people from bringing it along. Is one banned for life from Royal after this sort of thing? Put off the ship?

If the fine isn't enough to deter people, I would hope the arrest would be enough.  

• Like 5

On 6/8/2023 at 9:33 AM, Tatka said:

... Those dogs have very good sense of smell. Probably felt it from halls first ...

I've seen the drug dogs come through the high school many times.  The best dog we have in our county is an old, mangy-looking German Shepherd -- looks like he's on death's doorway.  Poor boy'd look like he didn't have the energy to drag himself back to the front door.  But when he gets a whiff of drugs -- WOW, he turns into a different dog!  He's alert, he's on it, his intention is crystal clear.  You can tell he loves his job /loves pleasing his handler.  

So, yes, those dogs have an excellent sense of smell.  

On 6/8/2023 at 9:40 AM, Tatka said:

Police did not just started randomly searching cabins.  They found something outside of the ship and then later searched the cabin. Yes they have a right. Ship docked in Bermuda is no different than house standing in Bermuda.

I don't think the article said they found something outside the ship.  Maybe other articles exist or the poster has additional information?  

On 6/8/2023 at 10:00 AM, psumother said:

This is nothing new and not a scam.  Bermuda has been doing random searches of crew and guest cabins before Covid.  I personally had my cabin searched in Bermuda.  It was before Covid.  I did feel violated but understand that this is not the US ... 

I've never been to Bermuda, and I didn't know this.  I don't really see why they want to expend the manpower to search a ship randomly.  

On 6/8/2023 at 6:37 PM, Tree_skier said:

They don't need to, they have already searched your luggage when you were boarding.

Well, not effectively.  I mean, in this case, the man had the drugs in his cabin.  

I've never seen a drug dog at the embarkation port.  Has anyone else?  

4 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

If the fine isn't enough to deter people, I would hope the arrest would be enough.  

It didn't say whether he was able to return to the ship for the return ship.

43 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

It didn't say whether he was able to return to the ship for the return ship.

Since the drugs are a prohibited item and were found in his cabin Royal might not have allowed him to continue his cruise. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 9:30 AM, RFerrington said:

This is the most disturbing part of the article !

Eh, not really.

They often will just bring their dogs onboard and if they stop at a particular cabin, the cruise line has to permit the locals entry.

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I've never seen a drug dog at the embarkation port.  Has anyone else?  

11 minutes ago, notscb said:

Yes. Multiple times- at Galveston and at Long Beach.

I saw it at San Pedro.

• Like 2

On 6/8/2023 at 9:37 AM, smokeybandit said:

You're right. Their laws, their rules. But could you imagine the uproar if US customs boarded the ship for any stop in the USA and searched everyone's cabins?

There was a thread about that several years ago. In conjuction with an Atlantis charter

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 4:40 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

…I've never seen a drug dog at the embarkation port.  Has anyone else?  

I have in Miami. The dog was just sitting there with their handler about 0 feet from the line of people. I thought he would have been closer to people so he could sniff. Maybe he can smell from that far away? 🤷🏼‍♀️

21 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

There was a thread about that several years ago. In conjuction with an Atlantis charter

That must have been very productive. 😁

Edited by ReneeFLL

14 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I have in Miami. The dog was just sitting there with their handler about 0 feet from the line of people. I thought he would have been closer to people so he could sniff. Maybe he can smell from that far away? 🤷🏼‍♀️

That must have been very productive. 😁

Closer than 0 feet away?  Hard to picture that.