Is it time to exit the "X"?

kiterp

5 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

For us we can live with the doors being closed if the AC stays on. That way I can sit on “the balcony” with the window open while my DW plays computer games in our air conditioned portion of the cabin. 

My understanding is that if the window is open, there is no climate control in the room...the doors have nothing to do with it...

Here is a link to one (of many) threads discussing just that feature...

Edited by dlh015
Additional info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, dlh015 said:

My understanding is that if the window is open, there is no climate control in the room...the doors have nothing to do with it...

That has always been my understanding from reading various CC posts. That’s why the video explanation of the AC being “trapped in the cabin” when the (shutter) doors were closed while the window was opened sounded a little odd. But like I said, that would definitely be a big positive if that was actually true.

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That has always been my understanding from reading various CC posts. That’s why the video explanation of the AC being “trapped in the cabin” when the (shutter) doors were closed while the window was opened sounded a little odd. But like I said, that would definitely be a big positive if that was actually true.

Agreed, would be a big positive. But I'm fairly sure that this would depend on the outside weather to a large extent. For the life of me, I don't recollect anyone making a definitive statement of how quickly the room heats up/cools down with climate control out of the picture...But I don't read every thread...LOL... 

7 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Agreed, would be a big positive. But I'm fairly sure that this would depend on the outside weather to a large extent. For the life of me, I don't recollect anyone making a definitive statement of how quickly the room heats up/cools down with climate control out of the picture...But I don't read every thread...LOL... 

We’ll be on the Apex in July 2024 in an Aqua IV cabin cruising around Norway and above the Arctic Circle. We’re hoping it will be cool enough up there, so it won’t matter. 🤞

• Like 1

We stayed in the infinite verandah on the edge in Feb/23.   The A/C turns off when the window goes down, not when the bifold doors are open.  And the A/C only comes back on when the window is closed not when the bifold doors are closed.   I think what he is referring to in the video, is that if your room is cooled down, you can open the window and by closing the bifolds , the inside portion of the room will maintain its coolness longer while you are enjoying the veranda portion with bifolds closed.   Hope this makes sense

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, retird said:

We stayed in the infinite verandah on the edge in Feb/23.   The A/C turns off when the window goes down, not when the bifold doors are open.  And the A/C only comes back on when the window is closed not when the bifold doors are closed.   I think what he is referring to in the video, is that if your room is cooled down, you can open the window and by closing the bifolds , the inside portion of the room will maintain its coolness longer while you are enjoying the veranda portion with bifolds closed.   Hope this makes sense

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

The lowering and raising of the curtain is loud.  I like to open the curtains in middle of night to see what is  outside.  Was an issue that to raise curtain would wake DW with the loud noise, thus did not open to look.  

Otherwise it was kinda neat feature.  The good or bad news depending on your love or hate of IV cabins is Celebrity has committed to IV cabins of E class ships. 

14 minutes ago, shipshape sam said:

The lowering and raising of the curtain is loud.  I like to open the curtains in middle of night to see what is  outside.  Was an issue that to raise curtain would wake DW with the loud noise, thus did not open to look.  

Otherwise it was kinda neat feature.  The good or bad news depending on your love or hate of IV cabins is Celebrity has committed to IV cabins of E class ships. 

Their parent company RCL must really love them because they're bringing IV-style rooms to their new pride and joy, the Icon of the Seas.

12 minutes ago, karmamule said:

Their parent company RCL must really love them because they're bringing IV-style rooms to their new pride and joy, the Icon of the Seas.

Not the whole ship by any means.

Too bad this has turned into another IV thread.

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

Not the whole ship by any means.

Too bad this has turned into another IV thread.

True. And, to bring it back a little more on the original topic, we're big fans of trying many cruise lines rather than focusing on one. (Especially now that loyalty benefits are getting watered down). We've been on MSC, RCL, NCL, Celebrity, Carnival, Virgin, and will (finally!) be adding Princess to the list next year.

It's fun to sample the variety of ships, restaurants, and see how each cruise line has their own style. No one line stands out for us, we've found things to enjoy on all of them. Least favorite is probably Carnival (other than the great free food options), and fave is a 3-way tie between MSC (in the YC), Celebrity, and Virgin. 

Even if you're not as fed up as the OP is with Celebrity, variety is the spice of life for us. 

• Like 5

All cruise lines are reducing benefits and cost cutting where they can, while at the same time trying to attract anybody to cruise to fill the ships, and upsell packages for the maximum revenue they can generate.

Cruising will never return to what it was before the pandemic.  If long time cruisers don't like it, they will let you go somewhere else, and gladly take a new cruiser to your place.  Saves them whatever benefits they haven't already cut as well.  It's just the reality of cruising in 2023.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Texed said:

I have been waiting for a massive exodus from Celebrity so prices would fall on the rooms we book.  So far, neither has happened.  😎

👍🏿👍🏿👍🏿

bon voyage

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I’ve never stayed in one because I’m not willing to risk the ac status. But my understanding is that if the doors are open the ac is deactivated. That’s a no go for me. 

Yeah, I agree.  I need my AC.  So for me, it would be the same as an ocean view room.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Texed said:

I have been waiting for a massive exodus from Celebrity so prices would fall on the rooms we book.  So far, neither has happened.  😎

For my upcoming August sailing, right after final payment, the few remaining Sky Suites dropped by $4,000pp (not a typo). That was right around the same time that the beverage packages went on sale for 50% off. Be patient. It could be happening.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

And as one last point - while I will say again that what someone wears does not ruin or make my cruise, there is such a thing as ambiance, and that it part of what I am paying for when I book a Celebrity vacation.  Ignoring the rules and dressing like you are going to a garage sale definitely impacts the ambiance of the ship.  

I am old enough to remember folks wearing dresses and suits/ties to fly. We all know what airline passengers consider to be acceptable clothing today. I believe the whole notion of “appropriate dress” went out the window long ago. As quoted in the above post I don’t let what someone else wears in the MDR or specialty restaurants bother me. 

While fashion-watching on our Equinox cruise last week I got the strong impression that what many people were wearing was: 1. The best they could afford; 2. Twenty to 30 years out of fashion but the best they had; and 3. Dress clothing they had not worn in many years and now didn’t fit, but they made a go anyway. 

As big a snob as I can be, it’s hard for me to criticize people doing the best they can and/or having zero concept of appropriate clothing. I am lucky enough to own a cruise wardrobe from which I could choose a casual daytime outfit, several changes of swimwear, and a different outfit for dining each night. When I sit across the table from my husband (who admittedly had to be coerced into MDR attire and looked gorgeous) it doesn’t really bother me or detract from my enjoyment when someone who made a bad wardrobe decision is seated. I just hope they are enjoying their cruise and leave it at that.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Texed said:

I don’t remember seeing big discounts during the pandemic. Their goal was 50% which greatly influences the supply and demand theory. If you want to see discounts, look at the six night Mexican Riviera out of L.A., insides $249, ocean view $299, Veranda $349, and Concierge $499. The real deal is adding the AI package, on the Verandah it’s only $1148 more.

4 hours ago, Texed said:

Same here. To date, we've booked only Veranda, Aqua and Sky Suite categories. We have all three categories booked in 2023 & 2024. Prices haven't decreased on any of our seven future cruises.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iTownPrincess said:

I am old enough to remember folks wearing dresses and suits/ties to fly. We all know what airline passengers consider to be acceptable clothing today. I believe the whole notion of “appropriate dress” went out the window long ago. As quoted in the above post I don’t let what someone else wears in the MDR or specialty restaurants bother me. 

While fashion-watching on our Equinox cruise last week I got the strong impression that what many people were wearing was: 1. The best they could afford; 2. Twenty to 30 years out of fashion but the best they had; and 3. Dress clothing they had not worn in many years and now didn’t fit, but they made a go anyway. 

As big a snob as I can be, it’s hard for me to criticize people doing the best they can and/or having zero concept of appropriate clothing. I am lucky enough to own a cruise wardrobe from which I could choose a casual daytime outfit, several changes of swimwear, and a different outfit for dining each night. When I sit across the table from my husband (who admittedly had to be coerced into MDR attire and looked gorgeous) it doesn’t really bother me or detract from my enjoyment when someone who made a bad wardrobe decision is seated. I just hope they are enjoying their cruise and leave it at that.

It was also a time when high end dining establishments expected you to be in a suit and tie or equivalent.  Back when business attire meant a suit,  Then it went to business casual  and then to just plain casual.

Still have some of the attire rules in the UK.  Not so much in the US. Now is pretty much the line is at no shirt no shoe level.

Keep in mind that the premium lines pretty much have totally gone the business/country club casual route as well.

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

For my upcoming August sailing, right after final payment, the few remaining Sky Suites dropped by $4,000pp (not a typo). That was right around the same time that the beverage packages went on sale for 50% off. Be patient. It could be happening.

I'm waiting, though not patiently😂 We're well past final payment on two Sky Suites, and I'd love to see price drops. Alas, one cruise is booked pretty solidly. I think there's more chance on the other one. I've seen more price drops on Caribbean cruises. Our two are European cruises.

22 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I don't agree with much of the OP's original post, but I wanted to respond to this point.  I can speak from my own perspective only.  I certainly don't let anyone's attire ruin my cruise.  But I also don't like traveling with people who feel entitled - that rules don't apply to them - that they paid money for their vacation so they'll do whatever they please.  IMHO there is way too much of that in this world already, and it seems to have multiplied exponentially since Covid shutdown.  And where does it end?  Is it ok to wear swimsuits to dinner?  Can I wear a see-through top (heaven forbid LOL).  How about a bikini?  Yes, extreme examples perhaps but if anything goes what's to say that won't be next?  To me it's not about the times they are a changin'.  It's about respect.

So I don't give a hoot what they actually wear, but I do care about the 'the heck with rules and the heck with how this affects other people' attitude.  When one contracts with a company to take a vacation on their ship, they are agreeing to abide by the rules of that company. If you don't like the rules that's no problem - just find a place with rules you are happy with. And the ship should enforce the rules, but at the same time just because you can get away with something does it really mean you should?  What's that quote about the meaning of integrity?

And as one last point - while I will say again that what someone wears does not ruin or make my cruise, there is such a thing as ambiance, and that it part of what I am paying for when I book a Celebrity vacation.  Ignoring the rules and dressing like you are going to a garage sale definitely impacts the ambiance of the ship.  

Exactly  well said! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1