Okay, my husband is an ice-cream/gelato man... is there confusion about whether gelato is covered by Plus ?

Wishing on a star

Recently off the Discovery. Standard servings at the Gelato in the Piazza are not covered by either the Princess Plus or Princess Premiere, as they are an extra cost for all ($1.50-$3.50 for 1-3 scoops). That being said, if you have the Princess Plus package you are entitled to two free premium desserts each day! These desserts are made from the same exact trays of gelato, but are a pre-determined selection (see attached image). They are also almost more than any one person could eat at a time, especially thinking about two-a-day. I have not heard if anyone has asked to only have the gelato in their "premium desserts" and thereby end up with the equivalent of a free Princess Plus gelato.

IMG_5645.JPG

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

I just thought I would go ahead and post this.

One person, on Discovery, says that it IS covered.

But, it seems others are not so sure.

Is this a case of things not being all the same on Princess?

Could change our mind on whether PLUS works for us!

I love gelato as well. If you dine in the dining room for lunch and or dinner ice cream is served at those meals.

I believe the plus package includes two premium desserts per day. 

Maybe your husband can get the gelato without the elaborate confections? ,with the package?

I’m not sure how much it cost to buy gelato without a package ,but I do believe it’s less than five dollars and you get quite a bit for that price  for three scoops of gelato

Happy ice cream & gelato eating .  I included a picture of a menu .I don’t know what ship or what year or month this was. 

Premium Desserts

Indulge your sweet tooth each day with two Princess Premium desserts, elaborate confections overflowing with gelato, pastry and candy mixtures that will be available within Gelateria, Swirls or Coffee and Cones.

15A93E2E-A612-4563-A9AE-3E6AC7B6F647.jpeg

Edited by arizonaperson

WE were on Discovery in April and had the plus package.  The first day we tried one of the fancy desserts and did not like it, so the next time we just asked for scoops of gelato.  We were not charged, so I think it is just a substitute for the fancy dessets.

basically as for the fancy dessett, minus all the extra stuff and you get a bowl of gelato.

You can also order a piece of cake - chocolate velvet was good

• Like 2

We were on the Discovery earlier this year.  There were two menu's on the counter.  The one above with the premium deserts and also another with various named selections.  We were able to get items off the second menu for free using our plus package.  The premium deserts were too much for us.  We ordered them twice on the cruise and both times they were included in the package.  I cannot remember the names of the other items, but mine had some coconut flakes in it.  I wish I could give you a solid answer but things are not always consistent so we will see if this is still the case when we are back on the Discovery next year.

3 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

I love gelato as well. If you dine in the dining room for lunch and or dinner ice cream is served at those meals.

Maybe your husband can get the gelato without the elaborate confections? ,with the package?

I’m not sure how much it cost to buy gelato without a package ,but I do believe it’s less than five dollars and you get quite a bit for that price  for three scoops of gelato

Happy ice cream & gelato eating .  I included a picture of a menu .I don’t know what ship or what year or month this was. 

Premium Desserts

Indulge your sweet tooth each day with two Princess Premium desserts, elaborate confections overflowing with gelato, pastry and candy mixtures that will be available within Gelateria, Swirls or Coffee and Cones.

Thank you for this.  This is similar to the one I saw.  They had one that showed the picture of each one in the coppe gelato section.  I got the Pirata and it was simple and delicious.  I've not had the gelato before so I may just make it a tradition to start to try a different one on each cruise.  If not included as a premium desert next time, I'll spring for the $4.00.

5 hours ago, roxievegas said:

WE were on Discovery in April and had the plus package.  The first day we tried one of the fancy desserts and did not like it, so the next time we just asked for scoops of gelato.  We were not charged, so I think it is just a substitute for the fancy dessets.

basically as for the fancy dessett, minus all the extra stuff and you get a bowl of gelato.

You can also order a piece of cake - chocolate velvet was good

I did the same to just get a bowl of gelato instead of the premium dessert but they only had vanilla !

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 3:14 PM, arizonaperson said:

Premium Desserts

What ship were you on with that gelato menu? Ours last month was very limited.

42 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

@Buckeye10640

I included a picture of a menu .I don’t know what ship or what year or month this was. 

Not my menu photo,see above 

Got it. Before this new huge gelato sundae deal they have added in Plus and Premium,  I loved stopping in for one or two scoops of sugar-free gelato. Last 3 cruises, no sugar-free gelato. Last 2 cruises.....long lines with people having these 'free'  specialty desserts made and even limited gelato choices. 

Edited by Buckeye10640

On 6/16/2023 at 2:13 PM, Wishing on a star said:

I just thought I would go ahead and post this.

One person, on Discovery, says that it IS covered.

But, it seems others are not so sure.

Is this a case of things not being all the same on Princess?

Could change our mind on whether PLUS works for us!

I would see which one on the menu is of interest and order it but ask them to hold the suckers, hold the candy, and hold any other junk tossed on it that I didn't want.

• Like 1

besides the premium gelato desserts, a plain cup of gelato is included in the plus package. We didn't realize this on our last cruise and we were indulging in a cup each day and then realized we weren't being charged for it so we upped our indulgents to two per day! 

• Like 2

On 6/16/2023 at 6:21 PM, jdacombe said:

We were on Sky in April and on the Plus package. My wife had a gelato and was never charged for it, so I'm assuming that it is covered by the Plus package.

Same for me on Discovery in April.  The gigantic premium desserts had no appeal to DW or me so we just ordered a couple scoops of Gelato on 2 occasions throughout the 7 day cruise.  I knew it would be a risk that we'd be charged for it but I just decided I didn't care it was only a couple bucks.  If I got charged that my plan was to roll my eyes and move on with life, but they did NOT charge us for the scoops.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I’m currently in the Discovery Princess (10/26/23) and asked Google for the answer to this question. After more confusion, I asked the team at Gelato, directly.  
The answer: a scoop of CHOCOLATE or VANILLA gelato is included with the plus/premium package. All other flavors were charged. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 10/27/2023 at 7:32 PM, mivers1 said:

I’m currently in the Discovery Princess (10/26/23) and asked Google for the answer to this question. After more confusion, I asked the team at Gelato, directly.  
The answer: a scoop of CHOCOLATE or VANILLA gelato is included with the plus/premium package. All other flavors were charged. 

Thanks for putting this to bed!  And...welcome to Cruise Critic!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rj59 said:

Gelato isn't covered, but it's free in the MDR for lunch. They may call it by other names, but it's the same gelato you'd have to pay for. 

We occasionally stop by just for the gelato before they close at 1:30 PM and nothing else. 

• Thanks 1