Giovanni's menus - not the same on all ships?

1 hour ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Nor should the Lasagna look like what I was served. 

In Tuscan, on Celebrity, the lasagne is a huge gob of ground meat with a noodle over the top.  I made the mistake of ordering it, but I could not eat it.  It sounds like Royal might be copying.  

16 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

Glad you think so.  I’m sure you’ll be happy eating at Giovanni’s Italian Kitchen then.

I have already stated that I have no desire to ever eat in Giovanni's kitchen. Just making the point that in my Sicilian grandmother's kitchen, the only cottage cheese that existed was ricotta (and she definitively called it cottage cheese), and she made the best lasagna on the planet. (we just couldn't eat it the day she made it - it had to meld for a day).

On 7/5/2023 at 3:04 PM, pstone1 said:

In Tuscan, on Celebrity, the lasagne is a huge gob of ground meat with a noodle over the top.  I made the mistake of ordering it, but I could not eat it.  It sounds like Royal might be copying.  

Call me traditional but I want a layered lasagna. 

• Like 1

We had both dinner and lunch at Gio's Kitchen on the Wonder.  Same menu.  We'll skip dinner there in January (not worth wasting a UDP dinner on) but may do lunch as the pizza is a tad better than Sorrentos' grease bombs. Agree with previous poster than the Carbonara wasn't as good as we've had in the past.  The Gio's Table on other ships has been pretty good.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Call me traditional but I want a layered lasagna. 

That is the lasagna that I'm accustomed to.  Plenty of ricotta, mozzarella, ground beef (Optional) and a nice homemade tomato sauce.  

• Like 1

I am a bit annoyed that Giovanni’s (which ever) menu has changed after we paid many dollars for the ultimate dining package.  DH is a particular eater but he could always find something to eat at Giovanni’s.  Now I am not sure.  And the trip we purchased the package for is 14 days!!  Many concerns.  Katherine 

On 7/5/2023 at 9:26 AM, OCSC Mike said:

Via the app and it automatically takes off the BOGO like when you use the internet discount?

No, you have to do it onboard, and you pay whatever the BOGO rate is. If you want a specific time and restaurant for your BOGO, you can go ahead and reserve your restaurant and time, when you go in let them know you are actually doing the BOGO, they refund your purchase price as refundable OBC. 

And as a side note, our Explorer cruise in 90 days have a Giovanni's Table but no menu listed. We are on the Odyssey two weeks later and the Giovanni's Table menu is listed. I also ate there last Fall on the Odyssey and it was not good. 

Edited by MommaBear55

1 hour ago, MommaBear55 said:

No, you have to do it onboard, and you pay whatever the BOGO rate is.

I’m aware, thanks. That was posted days ago in response to someone who said they made a reservation from the Schooner Bar & later clarified a crew member was in the area taking reservations.

16 hours ago, nelblu said:

Still have purple feet from stomping grapes.😆

16 hours ago, nelblu said:

Still have purple feet from stomping grapes.😆

Then you should know that ricotta is Italian cottage cheese.

3 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Why? What did you order?

Simply put, the food was not good. The service was good, just not the food. For appetizers we had the meatball, Caesar salad and the meat & cheese platter. For our entrees we had the chicken parm, Osso Buco and the lasagna. The Osso Buco was the only thing we cared for. 

3 minutes ago, Newcruiser215 said:

Simply put, the food was not good. The service was good, just not the food. For appetizers we had the meatball, Caesar salad and the meat & cheese platter. For our entrees we had the chicken parm, Osso Buco and the lasagna. The Osso Buco was the only thing we cared for. 

Thanks. Never eaten at Kitchen but Table had always been a favorite of ours. Have read many mixed reviews of GK & will be on Wonder several times next year.

At least if we decide to try it, it will be with a D+ BOGO.

6 hours ago, 3CatsInMA said:

Wow, tough crowd.  We recently spent a month on Odyssey and GK was our favorite restaurant on the ship. 

Food is very subjective. I like asking about opinions but I’d never rule out anywhere without trying it if it looks appealing to me & my wife.

Mason Jar on Wonder seemed to have very mixed reviews. We had brunch there last month & liked it so much we plan to go every time it’s an option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

Food is very subjective. I like asking about opinions but I’d never rule out anywhere without trying it if it looks appealing to me & my wife.

Mason Jar on Wonder seemed to have very mixed reviews. We had brunch there last month & liked it so much we plan to go every time it’s an option.

I quoted above on this thread on our take on Kitchen vs Table.

We love the menu on Gio’s Table on the smaller ships (Radiance class) and we ate there twice so far this year on two different radiance, both times it was great!

We also really liked the menu on Gio’s Kitchen (on Odyssey). Although we haven’t been on a ship with this restaurant since April 2022,  so we’re not sure if the quality has changed as it has for the MDR since January. We’ll find out in October when we do a B2B Holy Land / TA

We’re originally from NY where Italian food is really good, and now live in Florida and the only time we get good Italian food is when we go back there for a visit……although we have found a couple of “ok” pizza places…… so either Gio’s Kitchen or Table is good for us and way better than anything in the MDR….. D+ BOGO is the way to go for us

• Like 1

Just now, lovesthebeach2 said:

We’re originally from NY where Italian food is really good, and now live in Florida and the only time we get good Italian food is when we go back there for a visit……although we have found a couple of “ok” pizza places…… so either Gio’s Kitchen or Table is good for us and way better than anything in the MDR….. D+ BOGO is the way to go for us

Both wife and I grew up in the Philly 'burbs, and our parents are from NE Philly (wife's dad is Italian). I'm not as strict about quality of Italian food as you are but I totally get it. Try finding an edible, let alone good, cheesesteak in our area. 🙈

We loved GT on multiple ships and will still likely try GK at some point (BOGO as we have both mentioned).

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 11:04 PM, Cheryl H said:

We usually skip Giovanni's...however I noticed a video of Giovanni's on Wonder of the Seas and it had garlic knots, chicken parm, etc.  Is that specific to just Wonder, or are they rolling this menu out to all the Giovanni's?   If so, I want to be sure to book it.   Thanks in advance.  PS:  We are booked on Serenade of the Seas and Radiance of the Seas. 

It was terrible a few weeks ago.  The old Giovanni's menu was fantastic - this new one - not so much!  Major Olive Garden vibes...