Many European Countries to require ETIAS authorization beginning 1/1/24

Laminator

It is a similar system as the US has for foreign travellers. They call it ESTA. It is simple, answer some online questions and for a fee you have the visa. Only when answers to questions are false or needing further information, you will be directed to an embassy or consulate  for further investigation.

For instance on the US questionair, if you answer yes to, "have you ever been convicted of a crime". No visa is issued.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jakkojakko said:

It is a similar system as the US has for foreign travellers. They call it ESTA. It is simple, answer some online questions and for a fee you have the visa. Only when answers to questions are false or needing further information, you will be directed to an embassy or consulate  for further investigation.

For instance on the US questionair, if you answer yes to, "have you ever been convicted of a crime". No visa is issued.

I wonder if it's only felony crimes or if misdemeanor convictions count? 

Thanks!  Nor unexpected as it was announced last year and was supposed to be out  this year - then postponed to October.  

I registered for the notification long ago so I could register and still haen’t heard a thing.  I’ll wait until it actually comes out and take care of it.

It’s not a big deal as long as you know to attend to it. 😉 

• Like 3

"inbound tourist arrivals in the region remained below pre-pandemic levels, totaling roughly 594.5 million in 2022."  answer when asked the internet how many foreigners visit Europe

594,500,000 inbound foreigner to Europe X 7 Euros = 4,161,500,000 Euros

(not a bad days work to increase revenue and it is paid by non voters...genius actually)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks!  Nor unexpected as it was announced last year and was supposed to be out  this year - then postponed to October.  

I registered for the notification long ago so I could register and still haen’t heard a thing.  I’ll wait until it actually comes out and take care of it.

It’s not a big deal as long as you know to attend to it. 😉 

Is it still free above a certain age as it was before? I don't remember the specific age except it was around 70. I remember that because ff it was needed this year, I would qualify as free, but DW was just missing the age for free.

7 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Is it still free above a certain age as it was before? I don't remember the specific age except it was around 70. I remember that because ff it was needed this year, I would qualify as free, but DW was just missing the age for free.

From the bit I have garnered, I dońt see anything free but I dońt recall it either when the talk was first out about it.    Cost is nominal at 7 euros pp..

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/etias/

I am sure IF they get it up and running at long last there will be more into.  there should have been a fee last year and this and so far it hasńt happened.  It does look like it is about to get up and rolling.

It's unlikely to be as restrictive as the US ETSA has been for years.  I've been delaying going to Cuba and Iran because if I do USA requires me to get an expensive and difficult visa.  Now that my relative has moved out of the USA I may well just put US on my no fly list and do Cuba. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I just read the info in the link posted earlier and they say for under 18, and 70 and above are no cost. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Laminator said:

Will Europe's New Border Entry System Present Challenges for Travelers? (msn.com)

Don't want anyone to have any issues with their travel plans!

Welcome to the same challenges the rest of the World has experienced for many years, when wanting to visit the USA. The requirements also don't apply to every country in Europe and not even every country in the EU.

Having applied for many ETA's, they are generally a simple process, with the US being the most onerous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Welcome to the same challenges the rest of the World has experienced for many years, when wanting to visit the USA. The requirements also don't apply to every country in Europe and not even every country in the EU.

Having applied for many ETA's, they are generally a simple process, with the US being the most onerous.

completely agree 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Navybikermom said:

I just read the info in the link posted earlier and they say for under 18, and 70 and above are no cost. 

Yes, 70 sounds right. I remember needing it for DW if they had not postponed again. She is 69. 

21 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, 70 sounds right. I remember needing it for DW if they had not postponed again. She is 69. 

Here is a screen shot of an FAQ from the official ETIAS site.  Note that the age does not say 70 and above.  It says over 70.  I interpret that as 71 and above; much like under 18 is 17 and below.  Maybe it will all change when they finally introduce the ETIAS.

Screenshot_20230712-064458_Chrome.jpg

Edited by d9704011
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Here is a screen shot of an FAQ from the official ETIAS site.  Note that the age does not say 70 and above.  It says over 70.  I interpret that as 71 and above; much like under 18 is 17 and below.  Maybe it will all change when they finally introduce the ETIAS.

Screenshot_20230712-064458_Chrome.jpg

Either way she would have just missed at age 69. The day after your 70th birthdsy, are you 70 + 1 day, older than 70?

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Either way she would have just missed at age 69. The day after your 70th birthdsy, are you 70 + 1 day, older than 70?

I have no doubt that the EU will publish copious amounts of guidance on how people determine their age.  Me, I have always used my age up to my most previous birthdate i.e.  until June, 2024 I will be 66.

23 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I wonder if it's only felony crimes or if misdemeanor convictions count? 

I wonder about this, too.  Even a parking ticket is technically a crime.

Edited by Taters