Cruise to Greenland!

Jewel is doing a RT to Greenland in September out of Cape Liberty.

I had a couple stops in Greenland on last fall's Voyager Arctic Crossing from Copenhagen to Boston.  Cruising Prins Christians Sund was amazing!

Edited by Another_Critic

I am on the Sept. sailing on the Jewel, and I also stopped there on the 2018 Serenade Northern TA. What specifically do you want to know? It’s beautiful, and very isolated. Not a lot to do as far as excursions, but the beauty is walking around and talking with the locals. I only visited Qaqortoq before, so I’m looking forward to 2 new ports.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, OCVTSGIRL said:

I was just perusing Royal Caribbean's website and checking to see what cruises there were out of Boston (I live in NJ) and came across a cruise that goes to Greenland.  Has anybody done this?  Thoughts?

We are booked on the Boston to Greenland ‘24 cruise. Looking forward to it!  

Spent a lot of time looking for the Greenland out of NJ for 25 since this years has been sold out for a while for us. Thankfully, a Next Cruise person figured it out and told us about the Boston cruise. Whew. 

• Like 2

We were on the Voyager Artic crossing last September with a stop in Greenland, Qaqortoq and we found this one of the most unappealing cruise ports we have ever been in. First, there were very limited excursions, even from RCCL and private, forget about it. There was basically one store and as we wondered about the town, we found people to be pretty uninterested in cruise passengers. I know it is a popular cruise stop now, but one would think they might do something to help passengers enjoy this port. It's funny, because we usually love to wander about on our own and explore new ports, but this port was depressing to say the least. We were very disappointed.

We were also supposed to stop in Nuuk, but that was canceled.

The sail thru the Fiord the next day was thrilling though. We had a glorious day and each and every turn brought new vistas of grandeur. Wonderful day.

Cheers

Len

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Giantfan13 said:

We were on the Voyager Artic crossing last September with a stop in Greenland, Qaqortoq and we found this one of the most unappealing cruise ports we have ever been in. First, there were very limited excursions, even from RCCL and private, forget about it. There was basically one store and as we wondered about the town,

There were three grocery stores in town.  

And thousand of flying insects.  😞

• Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 8:34 PM, crzndeb said:

I am on the Sept. sailing on the Jewel, and I also stopped there on the 2018 Serenade Northern TA. What specifically do you want to know? It’s beautiful, and very isolated. Not a lot to do as far as excursions, but the beauty is walking around and talking with the locals. I only visited Qaqortoq before, so I’m looking forward to 2 new ports.

I'm just curious if anyone who went there, liked it.  I didn't realize there were cruises to Greenland so wanted to get opinions so I could decide whether to book it.  Thanks for any info anyone can give me...pro or con.

On 7/29/2023 at 10:39 AM, Another_Critic said:

There were three grocery stores in town.  

And thousand of flying insects.  😞

If buying anything in the grocery stores in Greenland, do they take cash or credit cards?

1 hour ago, OCVTSGIRL said:

I'm just curious if anyone who went there, liked it.  I didn't realize there were cruises to Greenland so wanted to get opinions so I could decide whether to book it.  Thanks for any info anyone can give me...pro or con.

Qaqortoq wasn't anything to brag about, but cruising through Prins Christians Sund was AMAZING!

• Like 2

We did an 14 night Arctic TA last September from Copenhagen to Boston. It went to Norway, Iceland and Greenland and it was awesome! And we would do it again!

Edit to add that we cruised Prins Christin Sund one of the days and it was unbelievably beautiful! The highlight of the whole trip! And we definitely want to do that again…

Edited by lovesthebeach2
  • Like 1

Sadly Prins Christin Sund is not on the itinerary as that is on the eastern side 

There is a huge RC of over 500 for the 9/14 Jewel cruise on Mr Z’s site with dozens of links to videos etc so you can see the ruggedness and how undeveloped it is. 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

Going there on World Cruise next year.  🙂 

Then again with Viking Expedition Northwest passage the following year.  Visiting seven ports in Greenland on that one.  

Looking forward to the "parka" life.  😉  Getting away from the usual Carib cruises.  

Booked on the August 2023 Jewel TA from Amsterdam to Cape Liberty (17 nights), to include Iceland (four days, three ports), Greenland and Canada (three ports).   Cruise also includes Prins Christin Sund.  

No more than 2 sea days at a time.   All the sea days are in-between stops. Great Itinerary.

Super excited.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 3

On 7/31/2023 at 7:08 AM, little britain said:

Sadly Prins Christin Sund is not on the itinerary as that is on the eastern side 

There is a huge RC of over 500 for the 9/14 Jewel cruise on Mr Z’s site with dozens of links to videos etc so you can see the ruggedness and how undeveloped it is. 

Who is Mr. Z?  

M

This is one where I consider the journey to be the destination. Two of the ports are by tender so who knows if those will make it, the excursions are expensive, and there's really not much there. There's no scenic fjord cruise by on the Bayonne to Bayonne itinerary. But there is a chance at the Northern Lights, and hopefully a feeling of getting away from it all. It's also a rare chance for a 14 night cruise that doesn't require airfare for people who can drive to the port.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 10:48 PM, Jasukkie said:

This is one where I consider the journey to be the destination. Two of the ports are by tender so who knows if those will make it, the excursions are expensive, and there's really not much there. There's no scenic fjord cruise by on the Bayonne to Bayonne itinerary. But there is a chance at the Northern Lights, and hopefully a feeling of getting away from it all. It's also a rare chance for a 14 night cruise that doesn't require airfare for people who can drive to the port.

it is an easy way to see Greenland without expensive flights to Europe.  And also to enjoy one of the older ships before they sell her.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

it is an easy way to see Greenland without expensive flights to Europe.  And also to enjoy one of the older ships before they sell her.

Anyone that sells the Jewel has no soul. Seriously, these ships go places others can't. Should have kept Empress too. Best ship for food, ports, and service! Many first time cruises on these ships that build brand loyalty. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 5:49 PM, cruisegirl1 said:

Booked on the August 2023 Jewel TA from Amsterdam to Cape Liberty (17 nights),

See you on the ship!!

I'm looking forward to all the stops even if there isn't really anything there. 

Just booked the last tour we needed, to call it a wrap. 

Even have a netted hat in case there are lots of flying bugs .🤣😂.

• Like 1