NY departure

eppler

Have never been to New York and it is a little intimidating.  Wanted to get some expert opinions on if this sounds reasonable

Travel on NCL Joy in September and we live in Pennsylvania.  Cruise starts in NY and ends in Quebec City

Plan to get a one way rental (~$155) and drive to LaGuardia airport to turn it in.  The smaller rental car offices near the port are closed on Sunday so figured this would be the best bet.

Uber from LaGuardia to Fairfield Inn on 58th street and 11 ave (~$45-70)

Enjoy walking around central park and Hells Kitchen Sunday and Monday morning and then walk over to the cruise terminal for departure.

Am I doing anything dumb?

1 hour ago, eppler said:

Have never been to New York and it is a little intimidating.  Wanted to get some expert opinions on if this sounds reasonable

Travel on NCL Joy in September and we live in Pennsylvania.  Cruise starts in NY and ends in Quebec City

Plan to get a one way rental (~$155) and drive to LaGuardia airport to turn it in.  The smaller rental car offices near the port are closed on Sunday so figured this would be the best bet.

Uber from LaGuardia to Fairfield Inn on 58th street and 11 ave (~$45-70)

Enjoy walking around central park and Hells Kitchen Sunday and Monday morning and then walk over to the cruise terminal for departure.

Am I doing anything dumb?

There's no need to go all the way out to LGA to return your rental car. I haven't checked every rental car agency, but Hertz lists its location at 126 W 55th St. as being open Sundays from 7am to 10pm. I'm sure they, as well as other rental agencies have several Manhattan locations open on Sunday, any of which would be a lot closer to your hotel than LGA.

Depending on where you live in PA there may be other reasonable ways such as Amtrak or bus to get to Manhattan. If you tell us where you're located someone may be able to make a suggestion.

I'd consider a hotel somewhere in the West 40's (there are a couple of hotels on West 48th St. that are not only more in the "heart" of Hell's Kitchen  but also closer to the cruise terminal)  if you really want to walk around Hell's Kitchen, although I'm not sure that there's all that much of interest to see in Hell's Kitchen for someone who's never been to NYC. I'd consider staying downtown in the Financial District near the 9/11 Memorial and Museum, which to me is a far better place to go for someone's first time in NYC. From there it's a reasonable taxi or Uber ride to the cruise terminal.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

There's no need to go all the way out to LGA to return your rental car. I haven't checked every rental car agency, but Hertz lists its location at 126 W 55th St. as being open Sundays from 7am to 10pm. I'm sure they, as well as other rental agencies have several Manhattan locations open on Sunday, any of which would be a lot closer to your hotel than LGA.

New York City is different from many other cities because few people have cars of their own. So while rental car companies in other cities are largely focused on airports, in New York City rental car companies in New York City have substantial business renting cars to car-less residents for weekend get-aways. Manhattan has the highest proportion of car-less people, most of whom find it convenient being able to walk, or use local transportation, to a Manhattan rental location. Sunday afternoon is a relatively time, with many people returning from their weekend jaunts. I would not expect there to be much difficulty if finding a convenient location to return your rental in Manhattan on a Sunday.

Especially if you have never been to New York City, driving here is generally not a good idea. It is, deservedly so, viewed as an intimidating place to drive. Not only are there more visual distractions than in any other place--and particular attention should be given to driving slowly so as to avoid colliding with any of the omnipresent pedestrians--but the regulatory signs can be especially overwhelming (having training as a lawyer can help in understanding parking regulation signs). Plan on receiving traffic and/or parking tickets for infractions thereof. Beware as well of high toll charges. For example, the Port Authority collects $17.00 by mail, or $12.75 by E-ZPass, for entering New York City, and your rental car company may collect additional fees for use of its transponder. For all these reason serious consideration should be given to avoiding car travel to New York City. There is good passenger railroad and bus service from many parts of Pennsylvania to New York City, and thought should be given to using one of these services.

I appreciate all the feedback.

I had checked 3 rental car agencies and none were open but none of them were Hertz either.

I looked at Amtrack and it seems like the best option.  Turns out (just moved here recently) we have a train station a few miles away and it looks like it goes to Moynihan for $50 a person.  

Gonna do some more research on the sites we want to see with the limited time we will be there.

• Like 2

I've also never been to NY, but the rental car companies there don't allow after hours drop-offs?  I'll be taking my first cruise out of NY next month, and I'm taking Amtrak.  I'm coming from DC, so amtrak trains are plentiful and cheap.  Hopefully, amtrak will work out for you also

27 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

I've also never been to NY, but the rental car companies there don't allow after hours drop-offs?

Of course they do (at least in Manhattan) since most are located in multi-story parking garages.

• Like 1

Just now, Langoustine said:

Of course they do (at least in Manhattan) since most are located in multi-story parking garages.

ok.  I was just wondering why it mattered if the rental company was open on Sunday or not

@eppler you’ve gotten great advice above. I just want to underscore that if you’ve never been to NY before, driving into Manhattan should not be the first thing you do.

Also, in terms of your hotel, it’s really not necessary to stay within walking distance of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. 

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, eppler said:

Hertz at Newark Airport is open Sundays. You could then take NJ Transit to NY Penn Station or to Newark Penn Station with a transfer to PATH depending where you hotel is located. Better than driving to Queens and backtracking to Manhattan.

Jersey City(close to NYC) has 3 Hertz locations but all are closed on Sunday.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, eppler said:

I had checked 3 rental car agencies and none were open but none of them were Hertz either.

I looked at Amtrack and it seems like the best option.  Turns out (just moved here recently) we have a train station a few miles away and it looks like it goes to Moynihan for $50 a person.  

Gonna do some more research on the sites we want to see with the limited time we will be there.

Amtrak rates are fluid and go up closer to travel time, my daughter’s $30 trip from Newark NJ to Newark DE has gone up over $100.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CookieShip said:

Just curious how you're getting home from Quebec City.

We can bus easilyish from home to NYC, but getting back Quebec City seems more complicated/pricey.

It is about a 10 hour drive.  Will fly home

eppler 

I highly recommend public transportation into NYC.   PA friends meet me there all the time & love coming on Amtrak or NJ Transit depending on where they are coming from -- Harrisburg v. Philly.   The Fullington / trailways bus also has regular routes from State College.   This way you can just relax & don't have to run all over creation to return a rental car.  Having your own car in NYC can be more of a p.i.t.a. then it's worth.  

16 hours ago, trish1c said:

eppler 

I highly recommend public transportation into NYC.   PA friends meet me there all the time & love coming on Amtrak or NJ Transit depending on where they are coming from -- Harrisburg v. Philly.   The Fullington / trailways bus also has regular routes from State College.   This way you can just relax & don't have to run all over creation to return a rental car.  Having your own car in NYC can be more of a p.i.t.a. then it's worth.  

Agreed - New York is a focal point for all sorts of public transportation (Amtrak, commuter rail, bus, ferry) from all directions. And, once in the city, there are subways, busses, taxis, Ubers, etc. (or walking) to get around.  

• 2 weeks later...

I am in a group of six that is arriving on Amtrak in September. We are staying at a place in Weehawkan, NJ. What is the best way to get there, over to the cruise port a couple days later and then back to Amtrak after the cruise? I have been reading horror stories about transportation to NJ and then to the train station from the terminal. Anyone done this and what is your suggestion? Thanks everyone.

57 minutes ago, butterfly55 said:

I am in a group of six that is arriving on Amtrak in September. We are staying at a place in Weehawkan, NJ. What is the best way to get there, over to the cruise port a couple days later and then back to Amtrak after the cruise? I have been reading horror stories about transportation to NJ and then to the train station from the terminal. Anyone done this and what is your suggestion? Thanks everyone.

Which Amtrak station are you arriving and departing from? Newark Penn Station? New York Penn Station?  

Which cruise port are you sailing from? There are three, Manhattan and Brooklyn in NY City and Cape Liberty in Bayonne New Jersey.

On 8/14/2023 at 9:08 PM, butterfly55 said:

I am in a group of six that is arriving on Amtrak in September. We are staying at a place in Weehawken, NJ. What is the best way to get there, over to the cruise port a couple days later and then back to Amtrak after the cruise?

Where in Weehawken? There are so many combinations of railroad stations in New York and Newark, hotels in Weehawken, and ports in Bayonne, New York, and Brooklyn, that it is difficult to give more than just general information about each.

Between New York Pennsylvania Station and Weehawken, there are New Jersey Transit buses on several routes--most Weehawken hotels are along route 158--from Port Authority Bus Terminal (nine blocks uptown); and NY Waterway ferries on several routes from Pier 78 (seven blocks uptown, and three avenues crosstown). Between Newark Pennsylvania Station and Weehawken, there are New Jersey Transit buses on route 108 direct from Pennsylvania Station (though route 108 does not go to that part of Weehawken where most hotels are located); and connecting service using, first, PATH trains direct from Pennsylvania Station to Exchange Place in Jersey City, and second, New Jersey Transit light rail trains from Exchange Place to Weehawken.

Between Weehawken and Cape Liberty Cruise Port, there are New Jersey Transit light rail trains to Bayonne, then taxi from the light rail station to the port. Between Weehawken and Manhattan Cruise Terminal, there is the same transportation noted above between Weehwaken and New York, then a short distance on foot or taxi to either Pier 88 or Pier 90 at the port (seven or nine blocks uptown, and three avenues crosstown, from Port Authority Bus Terminal; ten or twelve blocks uptown from Pier 78). Between Weehawken and Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, there are New Jersey Transit buses on several routes to Port Authority Bus Terminal, then New York City Transit Authority "A" or "C" subway train to Jay Street-MetroTech in Brooklyn, then New York City Transit Authority bus route B61 to Van Brunt Street and King Street and walk to Pier 12 at the port (about four blocks).

Of course, taxis also provide direct transportation between all points, but you probably don't need directions on how to use a taxi.

Following-up with an example of challenges in driving in New York City and making sense of its regulatory signage. These signs are on Hamilton Avenue near the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and Red Hook Container Terminal. stopping.jpg

On 7/30/2023 at 6:10 PM, eppler said:

I also live in PA and have used Amtrak to the cruise port in NJ and Brooklyn.  I will be taking the train to the Moynihan station and booked a car with Carmella to take me to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and the Queen Mary,  The car is only $60.00  which I do not feel is too bad for curbside pickup.

• Like 1