Improving the experience and making X money!

chemmo

For those of us who grew up watching the Love Boat, how about skeet shooting off the stern?  Ok bad suggestion.

I quite like where this thread is going, has me thinking a lot.  I would love to see on sea days some reasonably priced small group tours or lectures.  Similar to like what you experience on wine pairing.  Minimal cost for X and still generating good revenue, not heavy on crew resources.

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

Brunch is a non starter it was stopped because the MDR does not meet the health/food requirements for serving  buffet style. Exactly the same reason why the Elite Breakfast can't be "buffet service" when ships sail from some ports.

I loved it when they had the bunch in the MDR, OVC was a quiet place to have lunch 

it was crazy watching people eat at the bunch in the MDR 😱🤮

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

How about an area with pay laundry machines?  I know some folks don't want to do their own laundry on cruises but some want the option, especially on longer cruises.

I wonder how long it will be before someone posts that E and E+ should get tokens as an option to bags! It could put top suite guests ‘in a spin’ if they had to shove their own smalls in a machine!

Thanks for your positive input to this thread…

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I loved it when they had the bunch in the MDR, OVC was a quiet place to have lunch 

it was crazy watching people eat at the bunch in the MDR 😱🤮

We have been with Celebrity a long time but I don’t remember their brunch offerings.  One thing that does really annoy us at times on Celebrity is the early time the breakfast ends on sea days. We often end up at the Captain’s Club breakfast because that is open until 10am. A breakfast come lunch seems a great alternative…

• Like 3

How about a proper English Tea?  For those of us across the pond, it would be lovely to experience that on the high seas.  Perhaps a nominal charge of $15-20?

For those more adventurous, how about a 5 minute "Drive the Ship with the Captain"?🤣  Not sure of the price or that one or the liability it would add to the moment(s).

• Like 2

X needs a re-start where they come clean with what you get and seek forgiveness. Establish the new baseline.

Then, once the new normal reaches acceptance, add a-la-carte extras.

I would pay more for premium food and liquor.  Also for reserved seating in many locations.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, peanut head said:

How about a proper English Tea?  For those of us across the pond, it would be lovely to experience that on the high seas.  Perhaps a nominal charge of $15-20?

For those more adventurous, how about a 5 minute "Drive the Ship with the Captain"?🤣  Not sure of the price or that one or the liability it would add to the moment(s).

Oooh yes! 

Afternoon tea, a taste of home for us! I do remember in the Ocean Liner (Murano equivalents) they used to do this I think once per cruise. I think they used to have a string trio…

I would love a ‘Drive the ship with the Captain’ but I definitely think I would be a liability…

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, chemmo said:

We have been with Celebrity a long time but I don’t remember their brunch offerings.  One thing that does really annoy us at times on Celebrity is the early time the breakfast ends on sea days. We often end up at the Captain’s Club breakfast because that is open until 10am. A breakfast come lunch seems a great alternative…

When you are up at 6 am, 4 hours. Is long enough  for breakfast 🤣

32 minutes ago, peanut head said:

Afternoon tea , Boring , but my wife would like it 😁
Pilot the ship could be interesting,  would they take off autopilot,

we would be like the kid in a car seat, with a steering wheel that turn the but nothing is happening 🤣

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know what I'm about to say will be unpopular, I want to be clear it's an OPTION, not a REPLACEMENT.  Ability to order your dinner food selections and drinks from the bar/cafe in your app; again, you can still use the waiter and bartender if you want.  I personally do not encounter bad experiences by the waitstaff other than service being slow at times.  Bars and the cafe during peak times on the other hand, can be incredibly slow

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Two things I would pay for:

1) a great late night show in the theatre with a renowned artist - for example Catherine Jenkins.

2) some peace and quiet - the background "music" is now so loud that it destroys the atmosphere in many (almost all Venus). Examples:

Pre theatre - you used to be able to talk to other guests now it's virtually impossible.

Spa Pool 

Main Pool area - the sound levels here are appalling.

Cafe Al Bacio - the this should be the perfect spot to chat but the background music often makes it impossible 

Grand Foyer - the shows are great but in between the "music" is just not needed.

Most of the other lounges could also do with at least some quiet periods.

Don't know how X would charge.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, peanut head said:

OK thats 3 of the unnecessary overly expensive shops I can think to get rid of and replace with...

Culinary masterclasses. How to create Daniel Boulud signature dishes yourself.

Maybe turn one into a dancing class studio. Offer various styles throughout the cruise. 

Turn one into a mock up of the bridge and have a simulator in there. See how easy it is to dock the ship (a friend just off first X cruise with his family commented how nice it was to see senior crew members around the ship so frequently, unlike other cruise lines. He did wonder who was left up on the bridge driving the thing though, but figured computers do most of it now!). A simulator might help keep the liability insurance down a tad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

How about an area with pay laundry machines?  I know some folks don't want to do their own laundry on cruises but some want the option, especially on longer cruises.

Princess has done this for a very long time and it's a great perk especially for longer cruises.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SeaMee said:

I would pay extra for an umbrella by the pool and a Keurig or Nespresso machine in my room.

Don't care about the umbrella but a Keurig in every room would be great.  Some suites get them now but only the higher end ones above the CS level.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

No problem. Could you provide any further comment on why the offering would be not beneficial to the Celebrity clientele? Or are you simply stating that you personally have no interest in such a device?

Thanks for the insight. I figured the device worked better in theory than in practice.

Just not a gadget person.. We have no problem ordering drinks, opening our cabin door and getting the  lights on.. also the IV window if we need to open it  .  We read books and take photos with the Tablet..phone mostly OFF in the safe.. And we do not use the App..our Android devices are too old.  We use the "daily"  to plan our next day.

The medallion for opening your door is pretty neat, especially if you happen to be carrying anything.  As you approach your door you can hear the lock click and then it's just a push to open it.  I didn't think I'd like it, I was wrong.  Never used it to order drinks and I gather it's hit or miss for that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lobsternight said:

For those of us who grew up watching the Love Boat, how about skeet shooting off the stern?  Ok bad suggestion.

I quite like where this thread is going, has me thinking a lot.  I would love to see on sea days some reasonably priced small group tours or lectures.  Similar to like what you experience on wine pairing.  Minimal cost for X and still generating good revenue, not heavy on crew resources.

liability issues with Shooting..

We have taken the "on ship" tours..  Back stage full ship, culinary and we  always take the Art tour on E Class.

we loved the Night sky lectures outdoors but  they were  discontinued.. too windy.

most of the more Active ideas could be found on other cruise lines or at land based  resorts.

Hope  the X focus returns to upscale elegance..with a connection to the sea and  sky .

16 minutes ago, OysterD said:

OK thats 3 of the unnecessary overly expensive shops I can think to get rid of and replace with...

Culinary masterclasses. How to create Daniel Boulud signature dishes yourself.

All you need to do is make a reservation for dinner in Daniel Boulud's restaurant on board. Prior to the meal you and a group of other guests are shown how it is prepared. After eating the meal you are presented with his 10 pound Cookbook (it feels like it weighs that much!).

Then you can cook all of his recipes at home.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, bjahil47 said:

I would pay extra for an extravagant midnight buffet..with ice sculptures and chocolate fountains!

I would also pay extra for Broadway type shows.  

I love the use of the word ‘extravagant’…There must be lots of guests who have never experienced a midnight buffet. I think a real extravaganza once a cruise could be a real hit!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

Although I've never experienced its use first-hand, I'm curious about the Medallion that Princess has available on their newer ships. Being able to track locations on the ship, order drinks to your current location, open your stateroom door, and charge your onboard account without having to carry around your seapass card is very intriguing to me. To pay a small fee (something like $5/day) for that ammenity would not be an issue. I know that Royal Caribbean did something similar with the WOW bands, but they didn't have the sophistication that the Medallion does with Princess. I'd imagine they have something in the works.

If the fee was fairly insignificant, it would be an easy ammenity to include in the Captain's Club program. For example, the daily fee could be waived for Elite and above.

Good idea as long as the IT team isn't involved.

• Haha 1