Only 1 of 2 cabins was upgraded

saticoypm

I originally booked 2 cabins side by side...1 for us and the other for my (adult) daughter and her friend.  As we get closer to the sailing date, Princess has "upgraded" my daughter's cabin to a different floor.  My TA was unaware Princess did this and cannot do anything, as the sailing is sold out and there are no more cabins available.  This will be a big inconvenience being on different floors.  Any suggestions?

10 minutes ago, saticoypm said:

I originally booked 2 cabins side by side...1 for us and the other for my (adult) daughter and her friend.  As we get closer to the sailing date, Princess has "upgraded" my daughter's cabin to a different floor.  My TA was unaware Princess did this and cannot do anything, as the sailing is sold out and there are no more cabins available.  This will be a big inconvenience being on different floors.  Any suggestions?

Enjoy the upgrade. 

If it's sold out, it's sold out. Not sure what you think can be suggested as there's no more cabins available.

I have sailed with friends who are all over the ship. It really hasn't been an inconvenience at all.

Unless someone is disabled - I think it will end up working out, even if it is not what you had planned.

Guest Snaxmuppet

It is an option at time of booking to accept an auto-upgrade or not. I never do as I'd rather keep what I booked. If you used a TA to book then they can change the booking prior to the cruise to remove the auto-upgrade if you ask them.

The problem with auto-upgrades is that if they are given you cannot refuse the upgrade... it is automatic and final as they may then have already resold your original cabin. This is why I don't do them.

3 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Next time make sure your rooms are marked no upgrade.

Doesn't always work. We had a cabin that my wife selected for a specific reason. We were "upgraded" 3 times before I finally sent a note directly to John Padgett. I kept having to get my TA to get the original cabin back. The original booking was marked "No Upgrade" and each time they moved us and we got moved back it was again marked "No Upgrade". Frustrating. The note to JP finally resolved the issue and I received a phone call and an apology from Princess for messing with my booking repeatedly.

• Like 7

I'd switch with daughter and take her upgrade.  They will probably be happy having some distance between the two of you (unless she is a youngster).  (half joking).  With the medallion, you will know where each other is.  Just be sure to link (aka friend) the names.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I'd switch with daughter and take her upgrade.  They will probably be happy having some distance between the two of you (unless she is a youngster).  (half joking).  With the medallion, you will know where each other is.  Just be sure to link (aka friend) the names.

They said "adult daughter and friend".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saticoypm said:

I probably would check it every day to see if cabins opened near each other and ask my TA to check directly with PCL in case they have inventory that the TA does not see.  If they didn’t call them already.

It’s not likely they will be next to each other, but maybe the same deck?  You would have to stay in the same category in order to change cabins.  Sometimes there are cancellations, you just don’t know.

Last resort, I’d check with GS when you board, to see if they have any last minute cancellations where you could move to the same deck at least.  You would want both cabins to go to GS together, when you board to ask.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You could always offer the upgrade to the person who took your daughter’s cabin. I’m sure they would be happy to move. Getting medallions reprogrammed will not be an issue.  

Why wouldn’t Princess come up with this plan? Do I have to suggest it to my TA?

Once Princess assigns a stateroom, they really don't care. You will have to camp out by the old room.  Maybe even print out a nice offer and slide it under the door or tape it to the door.  It's a long shot.  Hope you get there before they start to settle in.

These passengers probably booked a guarantee and thrilled to have a nice location.  Offering to "switch" to an upgraded room for free might just do it.  This is just how I think.ass

Having Princess make this switch is too complicated for Princess.  They would have to contact inventory department to do any passenger switching.  I never understood why they don't just skip the folks who mark NO UPGRADE and give the upgrade to the guarantee passenger.  Makes no sense to me.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

We always tried to get rooms either next to or very close to travelling companions.  Now, after a few instances where they booked well after we did (and it just was not possible) we've come to realize that it's just not that big of a deal if we're on different decks or at the opposite end of the ship.

• Like 4

I do understand wanting to be near family and I have always booked my kids in a room nearby (we are a family of 5 so usually book a larger suite or 2 rooms).  That said, our last cruise (before COVID), I had booked my kids in an inside across the hall and closer to sailing, there was an aft balcony that became available for the same price.  I went ahead and moved them (my oldest was 21 at the time) tentatively.  They enjoyed having the balcony (and we enjoyed their balcony as well as our suite balcony) and them being on a different part of the ship ended up being no big deal.  We were all back and forth between both cabins.  We were able to get an extra key to their room in case we needed to check on them.  This was on RCL, but I've done the same on Princess before.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Once Princess assigns a stateroom, they really don't care. You will have to camp out by the old room.  Maybe even print out a nice offer and slide it under the door or tape it to the door.  It's a long shot.  Hope you get there before they start to settle in.

These passengers probably booked a guarantee and thrilled to have a nice location.  Offering to "switch" to an upgraded room for free might just do it.  This is just how I think.ass

Having Princess make this switch is too complicated for Princess.  They would have to contact inventory department to do any passenger switching.  I never understood why they don't just skip the folks who mark NO UPGRADE and give the upgrade to the guarantee passenger.  Makes no sense to me.

I am not sure if Princess would approve an upgrade without their consent.  Always raises the question if there is an accident, they wish to know who was in what room. 

7 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

I am not sure if Princess would approve an upgrade without their consent.  Always raises the question if there is an accident, they wish to know who was in what room. 

When there are room changes, Princess will note the folio and everyone will know where all passengers are.  Plus they have the medallion tracking everyone.  This is a long shot alternative.  I'm sure, in the long run, not being next to each other is not really an issue.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

When there are room changes, Princess will note the folio and everyone will know where all passengers are.  Plus they have the medallion tracking everyone.  This is a long shot alternative.  I'm sure, in the long run, not being next to each other is not really an issue.

What I am saying is that before one attempts to switch rooms, they should notify Princess that this is permissible.

If I came back to my room and saw a note acting me if I would switch cabin’s, I would report this immediately to Princess. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

What I am saying is that before one attempts to switch rooms, they should notify Princess that this is permissible.

If I came back to my room and saw a note acting me if I would switch cabin’s, I would report this immediately to Princess. 

That's fine but the ship isn't going to care if the passengers agree.

With the Medallion app, you can locate other people in your party wherever they are on the boat. If you're concerned about coordinating or finding each other, you can just use that function. I would assume you can text each other too, but I haven't used it onboard yet, so not sure.

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

They may not care with respect to who wants to be in which cabin but they certainly will need to be informed because the passenger lists at each muster station would then be wrong and would need updating. You can't just switch cabins and not tell guest services.

2 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

They may not care with respect to who wants to be in which cabin but they certainly will need to be informed because the passenger lists at each muster station would then be wrong and would need updating. You can't just switch cabins and not tell guest services.

Yeah, that's a pretty important step.  It was implied that this would all go through Guest Services.  Guest Services would have to re-program each passengers Medallion to open the swapped cabin and reassign the passenger's folio to the swapped cabin.  Guest Services won't program a Medallion to open a different cabin unless all parties are present.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Have to disagree, it would confuse the "muster station" arrangements.  God forbid if there was an accident, the wrong family might be notified of such.

I would absolutely clear it with Guest Services and have my change recorded and noted.  

• Like 1