Bar Soap in Cabin

chamima

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

We’re boomers and we really dislike any bar soap.  It gets all slimy and slick and the guck sticks to the soap dish or counter top. Also, my arthritic hands have difficulty gripping the wet bar.  We buy good quality liquid soap and body wash.  Each pump is fresh and clean and no goop!  To each their  own!

Its very different though, bringing your own, than using a container that has been in the shower used by who knows who.  I just worry some crazy could put something in there that should not be in there.  OK, maybe I am the crazy one, but so be it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, stoneharborlady said:

Its very different though, bringing your own, than using a container that has been in the shower used by who knows who.  I just worry some crazy could put something in there that should not be in there.  OK, maybe I am the crazy one, but so be it.

Totally agree!  That is one of the reasons we take all of our own bath and hair products.  If we’re staying a few pre cruise days in a nice embarkation port, I like to purchase these items from their stores, which carry lovely soaps and personal care products instead of bringing them from home.

3 hours ago, DCThunder said:

Boomers of the World Unite!  Give us back BAR SOAP!!!!

I, too, bring my own.

lol   I admit I much prefer bar soap when showering and can't understand why so many people prefer shower gel. I can't decide if it's just a case of I'm old and stuck in my ways or if shower gel just became a "thing" due to good marketing. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, mnocket said:

lol   I admit I much prefer bar soap when showering and can't understand why so many people prefer shower gel. I can't decide if it's just a case of I'm old and stuck in my ways or if shower gel just became a "thing" due to good marketing. 

I’m old, too, but obsessed with high quality body wash.  I hate that the bar of soap travels all over your body, then sits in a goopy mess until you pick it up to use the next time you shower.  I like new, unused body wash each and every time.  There are some wonderful ones out there!  Pricey, but worth every penny.

7 minutes ago, stoneharborlady said:

I would be willing to bet that Princess, along with many other cruise lines, and hotels/motels, are very much aware that people dont like using those attached to the shower things, and it saves them a bundle on individually wrapped bar soaps.  

Yes and the hand lotion they put in the bathrooms now is totally

different than the old one we used to get from Lotus Spa.  It broke our hands out and made our hands/arms itchy.  We bring our own now.

Sorry @chamima I’m getting off topic. 

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yes and the hand lotion they put in the bathrooms now is totally

different than the old one we used to get from Lotus Spa.  It broke our hands out and made our hands/arms itchy.  We bring our own now.

Sorry @chamima I’m getting off topic. 

No problem. 
I guess we’d better bring our own lotion too. I hadn’t thought about that. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DCThunder said:

Very true about to each their own.  But most silly internet clickbait lists of "Things Millennials Are Making Extinct" all include bar soap, since only old fogey Boomers still use it. 

I hate body wash because I'd use up a whole bottle in about three showers!

One time my young granddaughter came to stay and pointing to the bar of soap in the bathroom asked “what is that, can I use it?”  I felt very old fashioned!

• Haha 3

For many years, I have been bringing a fresh bar of soap on every cruise.  This was from before the cruise lines switched to "body wash".  It was a response to those tiny hotel-sized bars of soap which I dislike using for the shower.  I will use liquid soap for washing my hands, but not for the shower.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

I’m old, too, but obsessed with high quality body wash.  I hate that the bar of soap travels all over your body, then sits in a goopy mess until you pick it up to use the next time you shower.  I like new, unused body wash each and every time.  There are some wonderful ones out there!  Pricey, but worth every penny.

It is my goopy mess that I have been using my entire life but looks like we need to bring our own bar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

We’re boomers and we really dislike any bar soap.  It gets all slimy and slick and the guck sticks to the soap dish or counter top. Also, my arthritic hands have difficulty gripping the wet bar.  We buy good quality liquid soap and body wash.  Each pump is fresh and clean and no goop!  To each their  own!

Each pump is not fresh and clean when that soap container is continually topped up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cjpj said:

Each pump is not fresh and clean when that soap container is continually topped up.

Exactly why we bring our own!  Princess bath and hair products are dreadful!  At home I would never use the same container.  When the product is gone, the container is gone, too.

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Sorry, what is under ware?  Personally, I wear lingerie.

That would be "underwear", "under drawers", "underpants", "drawers", "knickers", "bloomers", "pants", "skivvies", "panties", "underdaks", "broekies", "reg grundies", "tighty whities" "boxers", "briefs", "thongs". "lingerie" etc. depending on style and local usage. Doubtless there are many other terms. 😵

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Thrak said:

That would be "underwear", "under drawers", "underpants", "drawers", "knickers", "bloomers", "pants", "skivvies", "panties", "underdaks", "broekies", "reg grundies", "tighty whities" "boxers", "briefs", "thongs". "lingerie" etc. depending on style and local usage. Doubtless there are many other terms. 😵

Oh, I’m quite familiar with “underwear”.  It’s what my DH wears.  I just was confused by “under ware”.  Thought perhaps they meant to say Under Armour, which is the brand of workout attire I personally wear.  Lots of terms for undergarments for both men and women, including the ones you mentioned.  Thank you for taking the time to list so many!

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 1

I plan to take bar soap with me. I will either take a few "hotel size" bars or maybe a full sized bar of regular old Ivory. I do have issues when bars get small as my hands won't grip the dang things well at that point.

• Like 1

We bring a nice bar of soap for the shower, a small oil diffuser for the room, and either pack shampoo and conditioner or pick up Keratase shampoo and conditioner onboard. The communal toiletries—which are getting more and more common as locations reduce “single use” plastics—are simply gross in my opinion. Who knows who has put what in there or how old the product is, let lone what the ingredients are. Just ew.

IMG_0023.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Thrak said:

I plan to take bar soap with me. I will either take a few "hotel size" bars or maybe a full sized bar of regular old Ivory. I do have issues when bars get small as my hands won't grip the dang things well at that point.

We use a small net pouch that ties to the bar in the shower soap tray. Makes handling bar soap easier. Dollar store has small bars of Dove, Yardley etc. and the pouches. 

• Like 1