Carnival's new menu's put Celebrity's to shame

Cruisegoer

2 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Why do you think age is a factor in their choice of cruise lines?

Starting with our very first cruise and continuing to the present, the criteria has always been the same - Quality over Quantity.

Once we sailed with X we found that it was the perfect fit for us.

YMMV.

Perhaps you're satisfied with saving up for one nice "big" trip per year or perhaps you're at an income level you can afford a more costly vacation without having to save up.  Other people prefer to get away more frequently and enjoy down time without breaking the bank so they budget to that, and sometimes "meh" is the best they can afford.  It's kind of like an argument of flying Delta vs Frontier, both get you to the same location but people are willing to pay according to the comfort and reputation of the airline chosen.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Cruisegoer said:

Well it's pretty simple, a person making $250,000 a year can afford a much different level of vacation than someone making $50,000.  I mean sure both could potentially be on the Apex but one would realistically be in an interior while the other is in the Retreat.  I highly doubt someone on a lesser income would consider spending on an Oceania cruise line sailing.  Seems kind of obvious to me, weird this doesn't register to you?

You are always talking apples and oranges when it comes to different types of cruise passengers. I was not referring to people who book insides on Celebrity or even retreats.I was more talking about verandahs or even Aquas. 

If you enjoy the Carnival experience and are on a tight budget, there's great value there.  If you're a partier who enjoys comfort food, especially burgers and pizza, then it might even be a better fit.  Many of us started off on Carnival cruises and had great times on the line.  When my kids were little, we took them on a Med cruise on the Magic.  Great memories.  But I have the means and find greater value, not affordability, to go Oceania (I loved Azamara, but will wait out new ownership until they get it together).  I can afford Regent, but find more value in Oceania.  It costs less and is more casual.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2023 at 8:32 AM, Pinboy said:

Ok--- So, lately there's been several negative threads about Celebrity ( Food, Menu selections, cut backs , upcharges, the size of the lobster tails, no friggin round tomatoes and cold onion soup ).

Wait-- forget about the cold onion soup----that one is a serious ( ?? ) complaint !!

I can't remember reading one post saying " I cancelled our upcoming cruise(s)" !

Lot's of " threats " , but not one actual cancellation.

And, to repeat --- we were on the Equinox and the Edge ( February and March ) -- never had a bad meal, poor service, or was invited to dine with an Officer--- it was all good !!

I could care less what Carnival offers in the dining " experience ". 

LOL---- Maybe if Celebrity " introduced " the bellyflop contest, the drink 14 beers through a funnel contest, the Congo line around the pool, the dancing Waiters with baked Alaska on their heads ,and the finale-- the singing of " We Are Zeee Worl " ( We are the world ) there wouldn't be such negativity ?

Cancellation here! We took the Summit every year to Bermuda and had a $500 Non refundable deposit for this past June. We took a quick trip on the Norwegian Joy to Mexico in Feb. We booked our Bermuda trip on board, and cancelled Summit as soon as we got home. Rebooked on the Joy for June 2024. Occasionally pop on here and see our decision was the right move. Even not being in Haven, we do add ons that give us a top tier experience for a fraction of X these days. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cruisegoer said:

How old are you exactly? Most people vacation based on affordability.

That is what we did. We took trips every year.  Our children and us traveled thru all 48 states, and slept in a tent in a campground, or in our van.  None of their friends traveled as much as we did or did as much as we did.  We went to Disney World every 2 years doing a 2 week vacation.  We drove from MI and did it almost none stop,  we had a van. One would drive and the other sleep.  We would spend 10 nights in a tent in Fort Wilderness Campground.   We didn’t cook a meal. Ate at the park, one of the resorts, or got stuff from general store.    It was what we could afford but we did  it and had a great time.  

Some of the best times were were the cheapest.  When we got married we didn’t have much money and our friends didn’t either.  We would get together on the weekends, get a case of beer, play cards and order a few pizzas.  

Most of our early cruises were on Carnival.  Had great times. It is what they advertise, a Fun Ship.  At least they provide what they advertise.   Does Celebrity?  

I always hated it when on Celebrity the entertainers or CD would bad mouth or make fun of Carnival.  I would BOO them.   Look at the ships when they are at a port.  Those ships are full of passengers having fun and enjoying themselves.  They are doing what they can afford or want to spend their money on. 

Should I go to an opera instead of a AC DC concert because the opera is considered better quality?    Not if I like AC DC and don’t  like opera.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 11

My first cruise post Covid was on Carnival. This was with the old menus. All the MDR food was very good. Always served at the correct temperature. The deli, pizza, Guys burgers, etc were delicious. The breakfast and lunch buffets had a great selection. The dinner buffet did not have as good a selection.

I’m platinum on Carnival and Princess and diamond on RC, and elite on Celebrity. I’ve also done one cruise on Hal, NCL and Disney. They all have some good dishes/venues but for the most part I think Carnival has the most varied and tasty food in the MDR and the best pizza and burgers.

Some have said the Carnival menus look good but that doesn’t mean the quality is good. Most every dish I’ve had on Carnival has been good especially the beef dishes. I’m going on a 21 day BTB on the Edge and am looking at the new Celebrity menus and I’m not thrilled. I feel like asking “where’s the beef” like those old Wendy’s commercials. 

This will be our first cruise in the Retreat, although in a lowly SS. With the food selection and quality decreasing, loss of the butter, cookie gate, etc, my excitement about this cruise is waning.

The difference between Carnival and Celebrity isn’t that vast. We have sailed with Celebrity post covid mostly because my husband liked the all included non-nickel and dime experience. And well that seems to be vanishing so there isn’t going to be a whole lot that differentiates the two. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/6/2023 at 6:01 AM, Cruisegoer said:

I just can't believe what I'm reading!

https://profcruise.com/carnivals-new-dinner-menus/

Say what you will about Carnival, but we've always enjoyed the food and MDR service.  Steakhouse was truly exceptional. How does it compare to Celebrity?  We sailed the Celebrity Solstice to Alaska in 2019 and it was the best food we’ve had at sea. If they’ve gone downhill that’s a shame. 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2023 at 6:31 AM, wanderlust58 said:

OMG! Please tell me I don't have to go back to Carnival for a good meal.  Our first cruise, about 15 years ago, was with Carnival.  I swore it off when I saw guys on the pool deck with a bucket of beers half finished before 10 am, followed by the pool waiter offering my 12 year old a drink!  We compromised and I got him a non-alcoholic version.  He was happy, I was happy.

If you want good food but are put off by some of your fellow Carnival passengers, Princess might be worth a try. That said, we had a great time on the Carnival Miracle recently. We just went into it knowing we might see some things. 

• Like 2

On 9/6/2023 at 6:57 AM, Charles4515 said:

Writing a good sounding menu does not mean the food is good. You can make crap sound good on a menu. That said I thought the food was good when I sailed Carnival. The same quality as Celebrity. But the dining experience was fun and games in the MDR which I don’t want at dinner. Do they still do that? And the general cruise ambience was not to my taste either.

The MDR staff is still lively, including a nightly singalong with a waiter on a tabletop sporting a sparkly red fedora. You know, it kind of grows on you. And yes, the food was good. 

• Like 2

On 9/7/2023 at 7:04 PM, tigervixxxen said:

The difference between Carnival and Celebrity isn’t that vast. We have sailed with Celebrity post covid mostly because my husband liked the all included non-nickel and dime experience. And well that seems to be vanishing so there isn’t going to be a whole lot that differentiates the two. 

Would you be so kind to include some specific details in your comparison of both lines like cabin/suite/itineraries/favorites on each ship?  Thanks!

21 hours ago, Z0nker said:

The MDR staff is still lively, including a nightly singalong with a waiter on a tabletop sporting a sparkly red fedora. You know, it kind of grows on you. And yes, the food was good. 

OMG  No words!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

It's twice a night and lasts about 5 minutes. If you time things right you never see it.

So that adds up to ten minutes! It is cheesy however long they do it. Do you still have go through metal detectors when leaving the onboard shops?

Edited by Charles4515

On 9/6/2023 at 9:25 AM, Charles4515 said:

Oceania goes there at a time of the year I try to avoid. (hurricane season) 

We're on that cruise on Sept 20-27th.  The cruise before ours is definitely(IMHO) not going to Bermuda. 

On 9/6/2023 at 11:09 AM, Charles4515 said:

They had metal detectors at the exits from all the shops. That is a negative to the ambience in my opinion. 

The only rowdiness I saw was at the show was when a bunch of teenagers who were there without their parents heckled a singer very loudly because they didn’t like her repertoire. They could have just left if they didn’t like her. If I don’t like a show I just walk out. I don’t scream at the performer. 

Don't forget the drug sniffing dogs. 

On 9/7/2023 at 10:04 PM, tigervixxxen said:

I'll beg to differ. Even on the newest Excel Class ships Carnival is a totally different cruise experience. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Don't forget the drug sniffing dogs. 

If they are like this dog, I would be ok with it:

CDE2CCC5-1956-4F89-BA31-C725067EAA73.jpe

New Zealand Border Control Dog boards Solstice during our first Kiwi port of call.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Would you be so kind to include some specific details in your comparison of both lines like cabin/suite/itineraries/favorites on each ship?  Thanks!

Sure…I’ll preface by saying my last Carnival cruise was in 2019 and I have not been on their newest ships. However, I have not been on any line’s latest and greatest nor any of Celebrity’s E class so the ship itself really isn’t my primary impression of either line. 

Itinerary is a big draw for me as we take on average one cruise per year so I’m no longer in the market for the 7 day Caribbean or Cozumel turn around which also keep me away from the bigger/newer ships. I don’t repeat itineraries, I’ve pretty much taken a completely different cruise for most of my ~20 sailings. Celebrity’s world itineraries are definitely of greater interest to me but as they are cutting back and Carnival adds more the difference isn’t as large.  

Carnival’s older cabins definitely have a brighter outdated color scheme, I believe this is better on the newer ships. We tend to book typical balcony cabins so there really isn’t much difference between the lines. We have tried Aqua once as a novelty and the extra perks were fun but ultimately we didn’t find it worth it. Next time sailing on Carnival I’d like to try a corner aft balcony or other special type of room since we are used to paying Celebrity prices can afford it lol. 

I find the length and itinerary is the primary driver of party crowd. I sailed 14 night RT to Hawaii with Carnival and it was less of a party than the 11 night southern Caribbean holiday sailing on Celebrity which had a very loud group of teenager running around the ship all week. Carnival does have more light/silly activities but they are easy to ignore as we don’t sit out by the pool anyway. They probably have more activities in general and Celebrity has more a relaxing vibe. We don’t care much for production shows in general so not much comparison there but Carnival has more comedians, which we enjoy. 

Food is a big deal to me and what I like about Carnival is more creative and flavor offerings. Things like a taco bar and sandwich station on the lido deck are a godsend as I am not a huge fan of buffets in general. They also have more make to order stations like stir fry. I’m always wary of MDR food from the galley as it is and don’t expect everything to be fantastic as it is. The extremely limited new Celebrity MDR menu is a big concern to me and DH is not a huge fan of the MDR on a good day I’m not sure how that’s going to go over, though we have liked Celebrity’s food in general. That said we felt like Carnival’s MDR was better than Royal and Princess (DH in particular thought Princess was bland). 

Carnival’s specialty steakhouse was a standout, I thought Murano was good but not great (I’ll give it a try again) and Tuscan Grill is very good. Carnival also has a sea day brunch which is good. I prefer Celebrity’s pizza, I’m very particular about pizza though. 

We switched to Celebrity to cruise with DH’s sister and he likes the all inclusive offering so we continued booking with them as the slightly older but not old (we are early 40s) more upscale and relaxed vibe fits us. But considering we could probably package wifi and drinks for cheaper on Carnival at this point it’s probably just perception that’s driving it mostly. 

I will say with Celebrity we notice a lack of lines and crowds, never have to wait for much, always get seated at dinner, (maybe we just got lucky idk), the 5 minute embarkation feels like a miracle every time we go through it and just have a more relaxed experience in general and a bit more service oriented. We’ve never had a terrible experience on Carnival in this department though but there are noticeably more people around and to serve. Celebrity’s app is better pre cruise and the premium internet is fabulous, I haven’t been onboard Carnival recent enough to know if they’ve caught up in that dept. 

If I think back to it my two worst experiences have been on Princess and it wasn’t a great fit for us in general, I’d hesitate sailing with them long before Carnival which if the right itinerary came by (or friends family wanted a short cruise) I wouldn’t mind booking with them again. DH won’t take Norwegian or MSC, the nickel and dimining gets to him and he’s not a fan of some of the stories. There’s a bit of it on Carnival which is another reason why he likes Celebrity but if that vibe is there on our next sailing with the new policies he is not going to be thrilled, we’ll see. Not sure about HAL, their itineraries might force us to try. I also wouldn’t mind trying Virgin. We are not retired or wealthy enough for the luxury lines, maybe someday. 

Hope that answers it? 

Edited by tigervixxxen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

The big advantage on Carnival is that you get free tickets to the fights.LOL

And the runway show from pool to buffet. That was actually the worst part on our Carnival cruise in February. The lack of clothing during meals in the buffet was unwelcome.

On our Solstice cruise (Alaska), we've had a guy wearing a camo hat in Luminae and a couple guys in shorts and flip flops in Tuscan Grille. Neither of which really bother me but why publish a dress code if you don't enforce it? 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

The big advantage on Carnival is that you get free tickets to the fights.LOL

LOL-- That's a good one-- Can I add :

The bellyflop contest

The drink 12 beers from a funnel contest

View 264 overweight " honey's " ( ??? ) wearing thongs -------in the buffet.

( That reminds me about that old fart with the 32 yr old--- she wore a thong --( yikes )--- I'll bet etc etc -- never mind )!!!