Seriously now-how many of you are REALLY looking at other cruise lines because of the CEO's changes going on?

Linda W.

It’s actually nothing more than doing what many have always done. We want a cruise at at a certain range of dates to certain locations. We have certain needs and wants. And perhaps we have certain lines we wouldn’t cruise if they were free! And with these personal factors, we search for the best deal, all things considered. Several years ago, Celebrity was winning this process for us. Now it is not. It is not a matter of Celebrity being bad. It is just that, for our  needs and wants, it is not the best deal for us. Perhaps for others, with different criteria, it still is.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, wineoclock said:

I’ve just looked at my upcoming sailing on Beyond. SS are selling well, but there is a suite guarantee (which is what we have booked) so not sure if move up or actual sales. A few Aqua SS left.

A lot of people don’t frequent these boards as pp said so will only find out about reduced butler service on board. 

I booked an inside on beyond as sail solo. Don't like the infinite verandah and would never pay for them

• Like 2

It's fascinating how cruising decisions are so individual! Unlike many responders on this thread, we book balcony cabins and have no elevated status/benefits. We've been on 7 cruises total (3 on X), with the last in 2019 on Princess. Itinerary and cost are the drivers for us. 

We were drawn to X originally because of its non-smoking policy, less "partying" atmosphere, and fewer "attractions" for families while offering reasonable prices. Now considering 2024 and 2025 cruises and are looking hard at HAL and Princess.

Celebrity has left us behind for the following:

1. Emphasis on Edge class (no interest in IV cabins) 

2. X's itineraries aren't interesting compared to other lines

3. X costs more compared to other similar lines

I realize X doesn't care about people like us who have cruised so little...but it also sounds like they don't care about those who have been extremely loyal.

• Like 2

Someone from Celebrity really needs to read this thread and take it seriously. Although as someone said earlier, they probably know and just don’t care.  It seems like their planning is very short term and they are missing the long term picture as part of their strategic plan. 

We are definitely looking elsewhere. We booked a 2024 cruise with X in January. Booking the identical cruise today with same cabin category, amenities and insurance and $600 less OBC would cost over $5000 more. We have been loyal X cruisers with almost all of our cruises over the last 20 years with X. We are more loyal to common sense! Shopping elsewhere is only common sense. Why pay more and get less? Our last cruise on Equinox showed noticeable cutbacks all over the ship. We'll take the currently booked cruises on X, but are definitely shopping around.

2 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

We are definitely looking elsewhere. We booked a 2024 cruise with X in January. Booking the identical cruise today with same cabin category, amenities and insurance and $600 less OBC would cost over $5000 more. We have been loyal X cruisers with almost all of our cruises over the last 20 years with X. We are more loyal to common sense! Shopping elsewhere is only common sense. Why pay more and get less? Our last cruise on Equinox showed noticeable cutbacks all over the ship. We'll take the currently booked cruises on X, but are definitely shopping around.

Anyone reading this SURELY would understand why so many are saying BYE BYE

We were on the Constellation in February and honestly the food was terrible. I am 5'3" and 105 lbs so not really a foodie, lol, but it was bad. We are looking at Princess for our next cruise. It's that and some of the other cut backs.

• Like 1

We are not only looking elsewhere but we have booked elsewhere. We do not like or will ever again book an IV Verandah cabin and the ridiculous future prices of Sky Suites have priced us out of Celebrity. We now book cruises based on itinerary and cruise length and not brand loyalty. Celebrity seems to be pushing to more 7 day and less Carribean cruises with their recent relocation of ships to more Florida ports, we are done with the same boring Caribbean islands and cruises. We board the Apex (SS) next week and have 2 Edge B2B cruises in Australia in January, and then we are done with Celebrity. We thought Celebrity would be our permanent home after cruising on the Edge in 2019 in the Retreat. Today's Celebrity Retreat product and pricing is not the same as in 2019 and we are done.  When we can cruise on a truly premium cruise line like Oceania for less than a SS on Celebrity we would be crazy to not book with them.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

I 10000% do not understand this logic that comes up often. You paid the price you were happy with judging by your willingness to make the purchase. So what if the person who books today agrees to pay a higher price than you did? You paid your price. They paid theirs. You know booking early, especially shortly post-COVID when prices were low, is usually the most price-beneficial time to book. 

• Like 1

We leave next week for the Caribbean on the Equinox. Had booked the Beyond but found out Aqua on had IV cabins so cancelled. Haven’t sailed on X since January 2020.  Sailed 4 times on Viking Ocean, have a Japan cruise booked on Azamara for next year. As elite plus and a loyal X cruiser after next weeks cruise I will determine if the cuts that X has implemented will affect us in Aqua class. 

We're also looking elsewhere in future, possibly Virgin but open to alternatives. For context as I know a few people have said it might be an age driven thing, we are both 31 and fed up with the extra charges, daft prices, and reduction in food quality.

29 minutes ago, carolyn22 said:

Someone from Celebrity really needs to read this thread and take it seriously. Although as someone said earlier, they probably know and just don’t care.  It seems like their planning is very short term and they are missing the long term picture as part of their strategic plan. 

I think that their planning is long term and it doesn’t include the “ where’s my lobster and  prime rib every night crowd  “.  They will parallel land resort offerings AND land resort prices   If you are looking for $500/day pricing you will be disappointed 

look up any Marriott resort for a weeks stay and see what you come back with. A standard room is $600 day. Add in food and booze and it is 1000. 

2 minutes ago, tfred said:

I think that their planning is long term and it doesn’t include the “ where’s my lobster and  prime rib every night crowd  “.  They will parallel land resort offerings AND land resort prices   If you are looking for $500/day pricing you will be disappointed 

look up any Marriott resort for a weeks stay and see what you come back with. A standard room is $600 day. Add in food and booze and it is 1000. 

We are staying in an Luxury All Suites Hotel in Santorini Greece after our Apex cruise this month. It is rated 4-5 star with included breakfast and afternoon appetizers brought to our private terrace by a butler. Each suite is around 1000sq ft in size and has a private hot tub or plunge pool. Our cost is $400 per day or $200pp. Even with the best rated dinning we will not be close to spending $1000 a night. I guarantee the dining on our own will be better than any meal in Luminae on the Apex.

We are doing more and more a mix of land stays with our cruises. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

I 10000% do not understand this logic that comes up often. You paid the price you were happy with judging by your willingness to make the purchase. So what if the person who books today agrees to pay a higher price than you did? You paid your price. They paid theirs. You know booking early, especially shortly post-COVID when prices were low, is usually the most price-beneficial time to book. 

Let me explain.  I was looking at booking another X cruise. The pricing seemed way out of whack with what we've purchased previously, so out of curiosity I went back and repriced previously booked cruises. The pricing has gone off the rails IMHO. Charging way more and giving less has us looking elsewhere. Previously!  When deciding on a cruise vacations our no Brainerd go-to has been X. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tfred said:

I cruise to see different locations, so a land based trip to one resort isn’t something that interests me. I think what we are seeing on this thread is more than just people unhappy about not having lobster and prime rib every night - which has never happened on an X cruise that I’ve been on before anyway. Then again, I’m one of the cheapskates who only books regular balconies. Maybe those in suites and above get that every night. 🤣

• Like 1

Our last regular (non suite) cruise was in December 2016, on Celebrity Silhouette, and was supposed to be our last cruise with any line. Sometimes the best is not good enough. In 2018 I started looking at suites to see pricing I could live with. Did the Grand Suite, on the Allure of Seas, for 14 days, and at about $200 p.p. per day all in, we figured we could live with that. We also did 14 days on MSC Seaside, in the Yacht Club, for about the same price and WOW, when had a cruise that we really liked, it’s been a long time since that happened. In 2019 we tried 14 days on the Equinox, against my better judgement, just to find out why it got such high reviews. $300 per person per day.

The experience was nice but not anywhere near justifying the cost. We also did another 14 days on MSC Seaside, WOW WOW we have a winner.

Fast foreword to 2023 and all prices, for any line, any cabin categories, show anything anywhere near any value to us, no we’ll gladly stay home.

Our decisions are based strictly on value, not just the price. The cutbacks, and other changes tell us to save our cash. 
We did our homework and know the differences in the suite pricing.

We have done 84 days in the Oasis class ships, and 230 days on Celebrity so know the ships. What they were earlier and have guessed things haven’t got any better after the Covid shutdown.

This is our feelings, and our money, we do not have to justify it to anybody.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carolyn22 said:

Then again, I’m one of the cheapskates who only books regular balconies. Maybe those in suites and above get that every night. 🤣

In a Sky Suite on the Equinox in June, we never had any lobster in Luminae nor did the MDR. The lobster roll the first day for lunch was as close as we got.  I have never been a fan of cruising lobsters so this didn't bother us. My sister who did a Viking ocean cruise last year said they had Cold water lobsters available every night. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, carolyn22 said:

I cruise to see different locations, so a land based trip to one resort isn’t something that interests me. I think what we are seeing on this thread is more than just people unhappy about not having lobster and prime rib every night - which has never happened on an X cruise that I’ve been on before anyway. Then again, I’m one of the cheapskates who only books regular balconies. Maybe those in suites and above get that every night. 🤣

40% of pax never get off the ship during the cruise in the Caribbean They view it a floating resort. 

you never hear these complaints at land based resorts with a la carte dining

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We are staying in an Luxury All Suites Hotel in Santorini Greece after our Apex cruise this month. It is rated 4-5 star with included breakfast and afternoon appetizers brought to our private terrace by a butler. Each suite is around 1000sq ft in size and has a private hot tub or plunge pool. Our cost is $400 per day or $200pp. Even with the best rated dinning we will not be close to spending $1000 a night. I guarantee the dining on our own will be better than any meal in Luminae on the Apex.

We are doing more and more a mix of land stays with our cruises. 

Cruising is an easy decision for many because there are no day to day decisions -especially if you are with a group of family or friends. Fly to Florida and get on the ship. Looking at the florida boards people are turned around try to find a hotel and transport to the port. 

many people are planning adverse with hotels-airlines and car rentals.  I (and I think you too) traveled extensively for business so to me it’s second nature.   If planning is in your blood then you can find lower prices. 

28 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We are staying in an Luxury All Suites Hotel in Santorini Greece after our Apex cruise this month. It is rated 4-5 star with included breakfast and afternoon appetizers brought to our private terrace by a butler. Each suite is around 1000sq ft in size and has a private hot tub or plunge pool. Our cost is $400 per day or $200pp. 

Geez now you have me googling for this paradise! You should be in sales.

14 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Maybe they ran numbers and decided the cost of Captains Club benefits is too much unreimbursed expense. Let other lines who match status foot the bill of rewarding you and fellow Zeniths for your X loyalty.

We moved to a golf course community and joined 3 years ago (annual fee only). A new owner has decided to drive members out because he thinks the members are getting too good a deal. Our mens' and womens' groups make up about 70 to 80% of the play and he thinks we will pay daily rates and keep playing as much (WRONG!). Just like Celebrity, he has decided to reduce expenses to try to max profit, and after raising rates this year has now cut out amenities and reduced access to what could be a great restaurant and 19th hole. Most of his staff has quit, but his newly appointed course director is destroying it full speed ahead.

When this started happening here last year, we thought cruising would be a nice escape. Now, not so much. "Look, honey, less for a higher price. Just like home!"

I'm sure they look at the cost but in my equation when you compare it to them giving the same Zenith Perks to those in an inside cabin (same Cost) but far less revenue, it does concern Zenith's that travel in Suites basically loosing the benefit we use to get by booking with no perks.    We are basically forced to pay twice for what we get.  

Thus If I'm going to pay for it at the ever inflated new prices I might as well find on  a premium line.      If I were sailing in a lesser classification I might feel different.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Which brings me back to my much earlier comment that the “grass always looks greener” in most of these cases

Without meaning to put words in people's mouths...I think the upshot of all this is not so much that people are totally shunning X for future cruises, but rather they're much more frequently considering (and actually cruising on) other lines.  They're comparison shopping.  Now they may find that other lines have the same issues as X...or they may not.  I'm curious to hear the results over the next year or two. 

I've been wanting to cruise on the Ascent in the next 12months, but after the recent changes at X, I shopped around and actually found a similar itinerary on the new Regent Grandeur in a nicer room for LESS money.  I've not cruised RSSC for a while so perhaps I'll be disappointed...but I don't think so. 

• Like 4