How are formal nights these days cruising in the UK?

suzyed

Those that keep insisting everyone should dress more formal for formal dinners, I suggest moving to Seabourn or Cunard, the two upper class cruise lines Carnival PLC owns.  Princess is a medium class cruise line.  When Carnival, RCCL and X all relaxed their dress standards pressure was put on Princess to do the same.  The world dress codes are changing and go with it or die trying to stop it.

In the late 90's I was doing some consulting with a bank located in the west part of our state.  At the end of the first meeting I was told to wear jeans and a nice open collared shirt if I wanted to meet with them again.  Needless to say I complied with their request and we got along fine. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

that's kind of you to comply with their request satxdriver . I see for some people, the word "recommendations" jumps out . While the words "should bring" and "please observe" seem to escape their vision. Good gawd their saying "please" . I don't see any other cruise line saying "please" . In any case my over all contention is  people's interpretation of a plain black and white request from a Princess .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, satxdiver said:

Those that keep insisting everyone should dress more formal for formal dinners, I suggest moving to Seabourn or Cunard, the two upper class cruise lines Carnival PLC owns.  Princess is a medium class cruise line.  When Carnival, RCCL and X all relaxed their dress standards pressure was put on Princess to do the same.  The world dress codes are changing and go with it or die trying to stop it.

In the late 90's I was doing some consulting with a bank located in the west part of our state.  At the end of the first meeting I was told to wear jeans and a nice open collared shirt if I wanted to meet with them again.  Needless to say I complied with their request and we got along fine. 

We’ve missed you. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, satxdiver said:

I was told to wear jeans and a nice open collared shirt if I wanted to meet with them again.  Needless to say I complied with their request

So you actually complied with their required dress code to satisfy them. How about complying with the dress code set by some cruise lines?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Pine Man said:

So you actually complied with their required dress code to satisfy them. How about complying with the dress code set by some cruise lines?

I think there's quite a difference between dressing for an employer an what a cruise line expects on a vacation. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, trvlwrld said:

When Princess delivers all the things they’ve promised, I’ll deliver on their suggested dress code…until then my dress code promise is as hollow as theirs😂

I'm afraid both you & I will have a long wait. They feel that have the upper hand & can do as they please right now. 

In the mean time I'll be dressing for comfort, my comfort. 

Edited by MissP22
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I often wish CC would ban Dress Code threads. They are never productive.

And many of those who respond have never actually cruised from the U.K. so are talking absolute rubbish anyway.

I refer to the Ops actual question of course.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

But why do you continue to read them and most importantly why do you respond? 

An excellent question which I have asked myself more than once... 🥴

Perhaps if there was a "topic filter" I would block them out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Thrak said:

An excellent question which I have asked myself more than once... 🥴

Perhaps if there was a "topic filter" I would block them out.

I guess it like a major car accident on the side of the road. 

You just can't help yourself. ☺️

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I often wish CC would ban Dress Code threads. They are never productive.

They banned Covid discussions which were interesting at times.  If we could just frame a dress code discussion as politics and sell that to TPTB, they would be banned for sure. 😁

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, SCX22 said:

It's banquet type food eaten in a floating banquet hall.  Not sure where the nice dinner comes into play.

As you stated, each to their own, but no one should be subjected to something they don't want to participate in.  The world has changed; dress no longer equates to class.  Princess ships aren't the Titanic where there were areas for first class and areas for steerage.

Well said and so true.  Most people on a Princess cruise are probable in the middle class anyway or they would be on the more exclusive cruise brands.  

On 9/20/2023 at 7:04 PM, love to cruz said:

To each his own. I do not wear the same clothes for a nice dinner out as I do when going to McDonalds. My Mother had a saying "Class will tell."  To each his own. Some of us are rule followers & others are rule breakers. NO need to bash because you disagree.

Not bashing, just replying,  there is NO rule about dining attire (except no bathing suits or bare feet in the dining room.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Well said and so true.  Most people on a Princess cruise are probable in the middle class anyway or they would be on the more exclusive cruise brands.  

Maybe they do both .. 

Mr Bean GIFs | Tenor

• Like 2

On 9/20/2023 at 6:56 PM, c-boy said:

🤔  aww yes, the dumbing down of the Princess cruise line syndrome. 

On 9/20/2023 at 9:43 PM, Bgwest said:

Which of us exactly are you identifying in your “dumbing down” pronouncement?

Inquiring minds (still) want to know. 

When will the Moderator close this thread so a new thread on "How to dress on formal nights" will immediately be started again and this topic can be rehashed endlessly again.  They should just make it a Stickie and stop the slacks vs chinos back and forth drama.

Edited by Princessfan20