Vista - Early morning announcements waking up cruisers

Ron&Sue

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I suppose this original conversation goes back to a major complaint many of us had on our March Marina cruise.

Cruisers vs Travelers.

We had a 7:00 tendering going into a port , Chacabucco to be exact. Passengers started filling into the Lounge at 6:45 or so and waited to get our tendering tickets. We sat, while the Lounge continued to fill. Covid was rampant aboard ship , yet Destination Services kept giving excuses for not starting to hand out tendering tickets. Finally at 7:30, a passenger lit up his computer to report we were nowhere near Chacabucco and by ship speed had passed it 5 hours previously. Destination Services made a quick exit from the Lounge.

At 08:00 the Captain announced we were skipping Chacabucco as if the decision had just been made. A lot of disgruntled Travelers that had been up for quite awhile, cramming in breakfast, and getting ready to go ashore.

Peter the Shoe, the absolute worst CD in Oceania’s fleet, said the Captain doesn’t want to make early morning announcements that might disturb the Cruiser’s sleep.

So there you have it. You have the OP’s side, that likes to sleep late, and my side that wants to visit the ports. Pick your team, there is no win-win or draws. 

So maybe I'm too skeptical lol, but if the ship is still moving when I think we should be moored, I'll look at the map on the TV to see where it says we're at.

So far the map hasn't been supressed even if the announcement hasn't come that there's an itinerary change.

I also have a free GPS app on my phone that shows where we're at - as long as you've downloaded the map already, no cell or data charges apply. So it is theoretically possible for travelers to keep track and cruisers to sleep without interruption😊

On 10/2/2023 at 7:33 PM, Tranquility Base said:

When you first woke up, was the navigation page on your TV showing accurate information ?

Yes it was. We were on this cruise and noticed the bad weather and the ship not slowing down (we were above where the pilot boards).  Knowing it was a tender port, we checked the map— very obvious we were skipping that port long before any tours would have had to meet in the lounge. The Captain could have made his announcement earlier, however— and at least the destination staff should have known. The same captain was on our recent Marina cruise and made an early morning announcement about schedule change once— I’m sure there were many who complained about being woken up so early. 

11 hours ago, BarbaraM said:

Yes it was. We were on this cruise and noticed the bad weather and the ship not slowing down (we were above where the pilot boards).  Knowing it was a tender port, we checked the map— very obvious we were skipping that port long before any tours would have had to meet in the lounge. The Captain could have made his announcement earlier, however— and at least the destination staff should have known.

Thanks.

We always check the Nav info first thing  if there is some doubt as to arrival time.

We then amend our early morning plans if it is obvious we are either missing or going to be a few hours late into port.

I have found that Guest Services on other lines generally treat us with respect by giving us a reasonably accurate answer to a query we may have in this regard.

However, I don't solely rely on that, and sometimes make my own judgement as to timings  

which are plainly obvious.

• Thanks 1

I will admit that at as of that cruise I still hadn’t grasp the full measure of Oceania’s propensity to cancel ports or shorten port times, even though it had been happening frequently. We don’t turn our tv on first thing every day, and in fact rarely watch it. It was dark outside, and we’ll before our scheduled arrival.

It was my mistaken belief that the ship’s Captain, or Destination Services, would have informed us of the port cancellation , especially as people piled into the Lounge. Destination Services continued to tell passengers we would be anchoring very soon and to just wait in the Lounge.

So the learning experience, believe nothing Destination Services tells you; and check your tv monitor, before dressing, for actual ship locations because the Captain may refuse to be forthcoming. Lesson learned.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2023 at 10:54 AM, pinotlover said:

I suppose this original conversation goes back to a major complaint many of us had on our March Marina cruise.

Cruisers vs Travelers.

We had a 7:00 tendering going into a port , Chacabucco to be exact. Passengers started filling into the Lounge at 6:45 or so and waited to get our tendering tickets. We sat, while the Lounge continued to fill. Covid was rampant aboard ship , yet Destination Services kept giving excuses for not starting to hand out tendering tickets. Finally at 7:30, a passenger lit up his computer to report we were nowhere near Chacabucco and by ship speed had passed it 5 hours previously. Destination Services made a quick exit from the Lounge.

At 08:00 the Captain announced we were skipping Chacabucco as if the decision had just been made. A lot of disgruntled Travelers that had been up for quite awhile, cramming in breakfast, and getting ready to go ashore.

Peter the Shoe, the absolute worst CD in Oceania’s fleet, said the Captain doesn’t want to make early morning announcements that might disturb the Cruiser’s sleep.

So there you have it. You have the OP’s side, that likes to sleep late, and my side that wants to visit the ports. Pick your team, there is no win-win or draws. 

Just now, Furball83 said:

That’s pretty bad! You would THINK Destination Services would have known by then you were skipping the port! And yes, Peter the shoe is terrible! I hope he’s not CD on my cruise on the Nautica in three days. Had him on a TA on the Marina in April, and he really got on my nerves.🙄

On 9/23/2023 at 6:30 PM, Ron&Sue said:

We have sailed many cruises with Oceania and never were woken by announcements. This cruise has announcements so loud that wakes us as early as 7AM. We talked to front desk and they suggested ear plugs. This is a deal breaker for us. Today while on a tender others were complaining about the early morning announcements. Anyone else experience this?

We have always had announcements upon arrivals and 9. Excursions are early on this trip. Yes if it is bothersome enough find a line more to your liking.

3 hours ago, Furball83 said:

That’s pretty bad! You would THINK Destination Services would have known by then you were skipping the port! And yes, Peter the shoe is terrible! I hope he’s not CD on my cruise on the Nautica in three days. Had him on a TA on the Marina in April, and he really got on my nerves.🙄

Maybe you will get Dottie  

Now she would get on my nerves 😲

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe you will get Dottie  

Now she would get on my nerves 😲

Nope, won't be Dottie. I am a listener to her husband, Tom Drake the comedian's podcast. She (they)  embark Insignia in Montreal on Monday and will stay on through part of the World Cruise disembarking in Australia in February.

On 10/24/2023 at 6:02 AM, Furball83 said:

I was on Nautica at the end of August,  The CD was Leslie Jon.  He is fantastic. He's a natural at the job. Just the right amount of talking. I've been on 7 Oceania cruises, all with different CDs.  Leslie Jon was the best.  I don't know if he is still on Nautica.

Enjoy the cruise. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sunlover12 said:

I was on Nautica at the end of August,  The CD was Leslie Jon.  He is fantastic. He's a natural at the job. Just the right amount of talking. I've been on 7 Oceania cruises, all with different CDs.  Leslie Jon was the best.  I don't know if he is still on Nautica.

Enjoy the cruise. 

Yes, it's pretty universally known by Oceania cruisers that he is the best. Oddly enough after 14 years and 30 Oceania cruises Sept a year ago was the first time we ever cruised with him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Yes, it's pretty universally known by Oceania cruisers that he is the best. Oddly enough after 14 years and 30 Oceania cruises Sept a year ago was the first time we ever cruised with him.

Leslie does a great job as CD. If I could only have him or Carr on all my cruises I’d be a happy puppy! 👌

If I never had Peter the Shoe again I’d feel blessed. Could just about him deters me from booking Marina thinking the Shoe could/would be CD. Well, booking through Fall of 2025 and no Marina. Hopefully that means no Peter the Shoe.

• Like 4

On 10/24/2023 at 7:25 PM, edgee said:

Nope, won't be Dottie. I am a listener to her husband, Tom Drake the comedian's podcast. She (they)  embark Insignia in Montreal on Monday and will stay on through part of the World Cruise disembarking in Australia in February.

Not good news that Dottie is going to be CD from LA to Sydney.  She LOVES making announcements. She is an excellent CD otherwise.  Hope Oceania ends this low rent practice before I sail in January.   

17 hours ago, deck chair said:

Not good news that Dottie is going to be CD from LA to Sydney.  She LOVES making announcements. She is an excellent CD otherwise.  Hope Oceania ends this low rent practice before I sail in January.   

Her announcements drove me crazy, her disinterest in everything apart from the battle of the sexes trivia and her husband’s borderline racist comedy were the only negatives on my wonderful Sirena TA in March 2022.

Edited by ToxM
  • Like 2

On 10/25/2023 at 5:48 PM, sunlover12 said:

Enjoy the cruise. 

Great to hear, and hope he’s still there. Will raining when we embark tomorrow.

22 hours ago, deck chair said:

I bet they'll do that just for you. 

I have never understood some cruiser's infatuation with Dottie, but as they say, different strokes. 

• Like 3

On 10/25/2023 at 12:08 AM, Furball83 said:

What app is someone using that shows the location of the ship at all times without using cell or data services?

I normally use either marinetraffic or vesselfinder.

They do require ship’s internet.

I don’t use them much  onboard as I find the ship’s interactive navigation map suitable for my needs onboard.

However I always use these sites from the hotel prior to boarding.

That way I can check the current ETA and later the ACTUAL dock position.

Be aware however, the ETA shown may be in UTC so you’ll need to convert to local time for your needs.

Edited by Tranquility Base

57 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

I normally use either marinetraffic or vesselfinder.

They do require ship’s internet.

I don’t use them much  onboard as I find the ship’s interactive navigation map suitable for my needs onboard.

However I always use these sites from the hotel prior to boarding.

That way I can check the current ETA and later the ACTUAL dock position.

Be aware however, the ETA shown may be in UTC so you’ll need to convert to local time for your needs.

Also use MarineTraffic, but note that the free version does not allow satellite positioning for vessels, so you only get the last land-based AIS plus a position projection. In other words, the position at sea may not be precise. You can often find the ship in question by checking the general map, but it takes a bit of work. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

For land-focused gps I use Sygic. You will want to download maps at home or on WiFi to see roads and details.

There are several similar free apps.

Even Google Maps has gone back to letting you download maps ahead of time last I knew. 

On 10/24/2023 at 4:08 AM, Furball83 said:

What app is someone using that shows the location of the ship at all times without using cell or data services?

The ship itself shows the location on a map that is on one of the TV channels