Cheers Pricing

Colive18

17 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I can understand why they are doing it and it does not necessarily follow that Cheers will increase for longer cruises (although it is certainly still a possibility). The passengers on shorter cruises are more inclined to imbibe more in the shorter period of time so raising the cost of Cheers will increase the profitability of it for Carnival. The increase seems to be a modest one and I know that we would have no trouble getting our money's worth, but of course everyone needs to do their own analysis for themselves. (I know that on the longer cruises I will average about a drink an hour starting at around noon on a sea day or when we get back aboard when in port which is usually a few hours before sail away.)

I agree. Not that my habits make me the average consumer. As much as I don't care for Cheers, I'll sometimes get it for a short cruise with friends. There's at least some truth behind why the shorter cruises are dubbed booze cruises. Most people won't bat an eye at a $50 increase. Alcohol is life. 

7 day cruises are just too many drinks and too much money for us at $1000. I absolutely do not want to drink that much for 7 days. My other half wants to drink even less. Raising that price to an already very high price tag will turn people away. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I agree. Not that my habits make me the average consumer. As much as I don't care for Cheers, I'll sometimes get it for a short cruise with friends. There's at least some truth behind why the shorter cruises are dubbed booze cruises. Most people won't bat an eye at a $50 increase. Alcohol is life. 

7 day cruises are just too many drinks and too much money for us at $1000. I absolutely do not want to drink that much for 7 days. My other half wants to drink even less. Raising that price to an already very high price tag will turn people away. 

As I demonstrate in post 61 even a "moderate" drinker can receive value from Cheers, one needn't consume alcohol all day to do it (and keeping in mind that one needn't consume all that is listed to get value). And of course it is possible to get by without buying any beverages, making do with what is provided. If it makes sense to purchase it, then it does. If it doesn't, it doesn't. But folks who don't think that it does make sense should still use the drink calculator to determine whether it does or it doesn't based on what they are likely to buy onboard.

https://cruisespotlight.com/drink-package-calculator/

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

As I demonstrate in post 61 even a "moderate" drinker can receive value from Cheers, one needn't consume alcohol all day to do it (and keeping in mind that one needn't consume all that is listed to get value). And of course it is possible to get by without buying any beverages, making do with what is provided. If it makes sense to purchase it, then it does. If it doesn't, it doesn't. But folks who don't think that it does make sense should still use the drink calculator to determine whether it does or it doesn't based on what they are likely to buy onboard.

https://cruisespotlight.com/drink-package-calculator/

That calculator should probably ask what a person thinks they would average per day.  I may drink more one day, nothing the next, etc. 

Anyhow, my significant other and I did a test about 3 cruises ago where we bought whatever drink we wanted, when we wanted, without buying the package.  Ended up spending about the cost of the package for 1 person for the both of us, for a 7 day cruise. But, I do have to mention that we don't drink specialty coffees, milkshakes, sodas, etc. (not at home or on vacation).  We mostly drink water, so we purchase a pack to be delivered to the room.  If we want something other than water, the free drinks work for us and the coffee in the buffet is ok for the 1 cup we may have in the morning.  So, the package would not work for us.

I will add that we just recently went on Margaritaville at Sea (had an absolute blast).  They have a package where you can purchase 10 drinks for $99.  We actually purchased the premium package for $149 that lets you get premium alcohol. For a 3 day cruise (or realistically, 1 1/2 days), that was perfect for the 2 of us.  They allow you to share that package and purchase 2 drinks at once.  Carnival should really consider implementing something similar, even if it's just a 10 drink package that can't be shared.  I would purchase that in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

Agree with Sparks.  

I too can be a heavy drinker on vacation, but the rest of the year I'm a moderate drinker - liking 2 or 3 cocktails before and while dinner cooks.  I rarely drink after dinner.  And like Sparks, there are some days/ weeks where I don't drink.  In fact, I'm trying to lose weight from my cruise two weeks ago, so I'm currently abstaining until the weight is off.  I probably gained it all from a week of heavy drinking...  🤣  

I could totally see a day of drinking on a cruise looking something like this:

6:30am     Irish Coffee (out on the balcony, of course)
  8:00am     Greyhound (top deck, while strolling and taking in the view)
  9:00am     Greyhound with breakfast
11:00am     Mai Tai at the pool
12:00pm     Mai Tai at the pool
  1:00pm     Mai Tai at the pool
  1:30pm     Lunch
  2:30pm     Mai Tai at the pool
  4:30pm     Alchemy Bar pre-dinner cocktail
  5:15pm     Alchemy Bar pre-dinner cocktail
  6:00pm     Glass of wine with dinner
  6:45pm     Glass of wine with dinner
  7:30pm     Mai Tai at the show
  8:45pm     Alchemy Bar cocktail
  9:15pm     Alchemy Bar cocktail

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TechDiva said:

That calculator should probably ask what a person thinks they would average per day.  I may drink more one day, nothing the next, etc. 

Anyhow, my significant other and I did a test about 3 cruises ago where we bought whatever drink we wanted, when we wanted, without buying the package.  Ended up spending about the cost of the package for 1 person for the both of us, for a 7 day cruise. But, I do have to mention that we don't drink specialty coffees, milkshakes, sodas, etc. (not at home or on vacation).  We mostly drink water, so we purchase a pack to be delivered to the room.  If we want something other than water, the free drinks work for us and the coffee in the buffet is ok for the 1 cup we may have in the morning.  So, the package would not work for us.

I will add that we just recently went on Margaritaville at Sea (had an absolute blast).  They have a package where you can purchase 10 drinks for $99.  We actually purchased the premium package for $149 that lets you get premium alcohol. For a 3 day cruise (or realistically, 1 1/2 days), that was perfect for the 2 of us.  They allow you to share that package and purchase 2 drinks at once.  Carnival should really consider implementing something similar, even if it's just a 10 drink package that can't be shared.  I would purchase that in a heartbeat.

I think that most people figure out that they are looking for an average. Everyone will have different amounts and clearly Cheers isn't for everyone. But it is worth using the calculator to determine that. And the last thing to remember is this- Carnival sells the Cheers package to make money. Period. If you happen to save money good for you, but that isn't their concern. They are pretty good at figuring out what works and doesn't work for their demographic.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sailor75 said:

It's wine by the bottle, they have a 3 bottle package and a 5 bottle package. The 3 bottles are $81 and 5 bottles are $126 + gratuities. There's also a premium wine package that's more. I buy the package in the Cherry on Top shop, they'll give you coupons you can redeem at any bar. Two packages are enough for us for a 5 day cruise with the 2 bottles we bring with us; so, we only spend $300 instead $700 on Cheers.

On 10/2/2023 at 9:18 PM, VentureMan_2000 said:

Let's do the Math...  I like doing the Math...

Assuming two people in the stateroom...

$59.95 x 2 = $119.90

$119.90 x 0.18 = $21.58   ( Gratuity )

$119.90 + 21.58 = $141.48

$141.48 x 5 = $707.40

Still cheaper than Royal Caribbean that is as much as $89.99pppd before gratuity!

• Like 1

On 10/4/2023 at 5:35 AM, sparks1093 said:

ETA- just put some numbers in the drink calculator. Someone who has 2 cocktails, 4 specialty coffees, 4 mocktails and 4 sodas per day would save $190 with Cheers. So yes, even a moderator drinker can get their money's worth.

Bingo.  I'm not a big drinker but my cabinmates are, so of course I have to get Cheers.  I will have a few daiquiris and pina coladas, maybe a milkshake and plenty of sodas.  I subtract the price of Bottomless Bubbles from the Cheers price, since I would have bought the former anyway, and it starts looking a little better.  Will I "break even" or "make money"?   Probably not.  But I won't be too far off, either, when all is said and done.  

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 4:05 PM, VentureMan_2000 said:

Folks who have booked cruises of 5 days or less received an email explaining that the Cheers price is going up $10 a day for cruises 5 days or less.  The new price starts October 9, 2023.

The new price starts October 9th but doesn’t apply to cruises that begin before December1st. So basically if your cruise is November 15th you can still purchase the Cheers on November 14th and still pay the old price. 

On 10/4/2023 at 9:55 AM, sparks1093 said:

I think that most people figure out that they are looking for an average. Everyone will have different amounts and clearly Cheers isn't for everyone. But it is worth using the calculator to determine that. And the last thing to remember is this- Carnival sells the Cheers package to make money. Period. If you happen to save money good for you, but that isn't their concern. They are pretty good at figuring out what works and doesn't work for their demographic.

You are right about Carnival using it to make money, I sometimes wish there other options. Meanwhile since my daughter and I are not true drinkers at home every time we go back and forth on if we should get it. For us, sometimes it boils down to just getting it and not thinking about it. Most times we do not get the drink package. Since we fly into the port city it is just easier to purchase the bottled water, and yes I know we can fill up in the buffet. Also without the package, we bring two bottles of wine for me (each of us carrying on a bottle). 

2 hours ago, Linda the Book Lover said:

You are right about Carnival using it to make money, I sometimes wish there other options. Meanwhile since my daughter and I are not true drinkers at home every time we go back and forth on if we should get it. For us, sometimes it boils down to just getting it and not thinking about it. Most times we do not get the drink package. Since we fly into the port city it is just easier to purchase the bottled water, and yes I know we can fill up in the buffet. Also without the package, we bring two bottles of wine for me (each of us carrying on a bottle). 

Which cruise line does not do it to make money???

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 7:05 PM, VentureMan_2000 said:

Folks who have booked cruises of 5 days or less received an email explaining that the Cheers price is going up $10 a day for cruises 5 days or less.  The new price starts October 9, 2023.

I didn't get an email 😞  Good thing I saw it on social media and had my TA confirm.  Bought the package on Thursday.

11 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Which cruise line does not do it to make money???

Since I was the one that brought it up, I will agree that all cruise lines sell their drink packages to make money. I was simply reminding everyone of that simple fact- the cruise line is not selling it to save the passenger money, even if it does get marketed that way and even if some people are able to save money. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sailor75 said:

But, isn't Royal's drink package unlimited? That's a big difference between the two.

For most passengers it's not that big of a difference. At least for this particular passenger (although there are many in this thread who have stated that Cheers doesn't save them money, so I'm going to take a leap and say Royal's prices wouldn't save them money, either). I'm not going to drink more on a Royal cruise just because there is no limit and the limit on Carnival isn't that big of a deal to me. Factor in the likely fare difference and it becomes even less of a deal.

(I will say that if someone is sailing on Royal watch, watch, watch those drink package prices. Royal uses a dynamic sales system and they will reduce the price of the package if sales are lagging. I was able to snag the drink package at a price less than Carnival's.)

Since I was the one that brought it up, I will agree that all cruise lines sell their drink packages to make money. I was simply reminding everyone of that simple fact- the cruise line is not selling it to save the passenger money, even if it does get marketed that way and even if some people are able to save money. 

Agreed

• Like 1

For most passengers it's not that big of a difference. At least for this particular passenger (although there are many in this thread who have stated that Cheers doesn't save them money, so I'm going to take a leap and say Royal's prices wouldn't save them money, either). I'm not going to drink more on a Royal cruise just because there is no limit and the limit on Carnival isn't that big of a deal to me. Factor in the likely fare difference and it becomes even less of a deal.

(I will say that if someone is sailing on Royal watch, watch, watch those drink package prices. Royal uses a dynamic sales system and they will reduce the price of the package if sales are lagging. I was able to snag the drink package at a price less than Carnival's.)

What is the daily cost of the Royal package?

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

What is the daily cost of the Royal package?

they vary greatly, but are, on average usually around $70-$80 if booked before you are onboard.

The price depends on ship, itinerary, the phase of the moon, if it's raining or not, days that end in y, 30 or 31 days in the month....

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, ngrund said:

they vary greatly, but are, on average usually around $70-$80 if booked before you are onboard.

The price depends on ship, itinerary, the phase of the moon, if it's raining or not, days that end in y, 30 or 31 days in the month....

Good info for Carnival cruisers to have to see how the competition does it.  

Thanks