Love Royal but they need to fix the disembarkation

pfm18

15 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Wow, that's excellent.  I've never seen a sit-down breakfast for suites and Pinnacles that late.

Im not sure what happens for suites and Pinnacle’s. This is for people who have purchased the “Key.”

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

From 6:30-8:30. We usually go around 8am and eat a leisurely breakfast till 9am.

I would never pay what The Key wants for anything, $43 pp per day, not on your life. That's $602 per cruise for a lunch we can get for $29.99 pp with the taste of RCCL and leave our luggage someplace, what luggage, they already take it curbside.  Nope I see no advantage in The Key at all...but different strokes for different folks.

• Like 5

Just now, BecciBoo said:

I would never pay what The Key wants for anything, $43 pp per day, not on your life. That's $602 per cruise for a lunch we can get for $29.99 pp with the taste of RCCL and leave our luggage someplace, what luggage, they already take it curbside.  Nope I see no advantage in The Key at all...but different strokes for different folks.

I’ve never paid over $25 for it. It boils down to if the price is right and you were planning on getting the internet anyway it can be a good deal. That’s great you see no advantage to it because others apparently do. Royal seems still sell this option a lot.

• Like 4

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, @pfm18.  Appears it was under unique circumstances.  Anytime there's a change in itinerary due to unforeseen events, there will be disruptions to usual protocols. 

I understand your desire to hang out a bit longer.  Common feeling amongst many cruisers on all cruise lines.  However, there are other considerations the ship and crew and immigration/inspection services need to handle before the next group of cruisers embark .  If you get to hang around  longer, those folks will complain about being delayed in starting their cruise. 

So suck it up and just be happy you were on the cruise and ship.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 12:52 PM, pfm18 said:

The last morning of any RC cruise is an occasion to be dreaded. Even on the fairly regular occasion that we have a late flight home, we are still forced to eat breakfast before 8am and vacate our room early. Should be a late checkout option IMO, even for a small fee.

However, my recent experience was even worse. I was on the explorer cruise that was diverted to Trieste instead of Ravenna, which I completely understand was a decision made in the interests of safety for both guests and crew. What I didn’t appreciate was the ship docking at 3am and then immediately starting to disembark. Had we gone to Ravenna as planned, the disembarkation would have started hours later and it was unfair to cut short the vacations of people by forcing them to leave the ship at 4am.

Even for those of us lucky enough to have a slightly later transfer (still 8am mind, 3-4 hours earlier than I actually wanted), there was no chance of any sleep because the tannoy was going off every few minutes screaming at people to get off the ship.

Royal really need to adopt a more relaxed final day. 

We were on the Explorer cruise that was diverted to Trieste due to severe flooding in Ravenna.  This was an emergency situation with residents in Ravenna losing homes and several people losing their lives.  The Ravenna Port was closed which is why Royal Caribbean (at the last minute) had to figure out how to transport an entire ship full of passengers out of a gated commercial Port (no public transportation allowed) so people could get to their destinations for flights, trains, etc.

Passengers with previously booked airport transfers still had their rides, and all others were taken to either airports or the train station on additional busses.  Yes, disembarkation had to begin much earlier than normal to move everyone out in a timely manner.  Naturally, these changes were not convenient for everyone, but were necessary due to a situation beyond the cruise line’s control.

Although some were unhappy, Royal Caribbean did a fantastic job (and no, I am definitely not a Royal cheerleader).  We got very little sleep (up at 3am) and caught an early bus to the Trieste train station where we sat for a couple of hours waiting for our private transport.  We were very grateful everything went smoothly, and we made it to our Venice hotel despite a bit of inconvenience.  If you can’t handle changes due to an emergency situation, perhaps choose another type of vacation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

That’s the closest thing to a late checkout. We have enjoyed the Key for that fact. You can enjoy an enhanced breakfast menu eat leisurely and then disembark on your own time.

I know. I also enjoy the first day getting on early, not dealing with our carry on luggage, nice quiet lunch. We need internet anyway.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I’ve never paid over $25 for it. It boils down to if the price is right and you were planning on getting the internet anyway it can be a good deal. That’s great you see no advantage to it because others apparently do. Royal seems still sell this option a lot.

I had said I wouldn't get it again after the one time I got it back in 2019 when the program first started.  I just didn't feel there was value in it.  But I've got it for our Adventure cruise in Feb.  It has showed up on the cruise planner at various times for 20.99. Since that is only about $5 more than I'd pay for the internet I decided to give it a try again.  One thing I'm looking forward to is not lugging my CPAP around until the rooms are open.  The other is the late breakfast.  If it gets me premium seating at the ice show  and a little extra time on the flowrider all the better.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

We do CK every morning. Love it.  My old brain just doesn't remember 8:30. I thought 8AM was the last entry. 

I think CK is open for breakfast until 8:30, but the last ushered walk off is 8 am, from what I remember the last time. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi new here and new to cruising. Trying to find information on what time we will have to leave our cabins on last day. On Anthem next year with partner and 2 teens who do not like to get up early! Understand from what I am reading it will be early but just would like to know an actual time before so I can give them fair warning 😆 Thanks 

38 minutes ago, Making Lemonade said:

Hi new here and new to cruising. Trying to find information on what time we will have to leave our cabins on last day. On Anthem next year with partner and 2 teens who do not like to get up early! Understand from what I am reading it will be early but just would like to know an actual time before so I can give them fair warning 😆 Thanks 

If you’re in Southampton everyone usually off by 9am . Sorry kids! 

On 10/8/2023 at 3:36 PM, pstone1 said:

We were on the Explorer cruise that was diverted to Trieste due to severe flooding in Ravenna.  This was an emergency situation with residents in Ravenna losing homes and several people losing their lives.  The Ravenna Port was closed which is why Royal Caribbean (at the last minute) had to figure out how to transport an entire ship full of passengers out of a gated commercial Port (no public transportation allowed) so people could get to their destinations for flights, trains, etc.

Passengers with previously booked airport transfers still had their rides, and all others were taken to either airports or the train station on additional busses.  Yes, disembarkation had to begin much earlier than normal to move everyone out in a timely manner.  Naturally, these changes were not convenient for everyone, but were necessary due to a situation beyond the cruise line’s control.

Although some were unhappy, Royal Caribbean did a fantastic job (and no, I am definitely not a Royal cheerleader).  We got very little sleep (up at 3am) and caught an early bus to the Trieste train station where we sat for a couple of hours waiting for our private transport.  We were very grateful everything went smoothly, and we made it to our Venice hotel despite a bit of inconvenience.  If you can’t handle changes due to an emergency situation, perhaps choose another type of vacation.

What other type of vacation should they choose as emergencies happen everywhere?  

1 hour ago, Making Lemonade said:

Currently on Wonder, have to be out of your cabin by 8 am, and off ship by 9-9:30.   Which is pretty common with U.S. disembarkations.   

29 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

What other type of vacation should they choose as emergencies happen everywhere?  

If people can’t adjust when an unforeseen disaster occurs, perhaps they just shouldn’t travel.  Unfortunately, weather driven events such as hurricanes, flooding, fires, etc. happen and are out of the cruise line’s control.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

If people can’t adjust when an unforeseen disaster occurs, perhaps they just shouldn’t travel.  Unfortunately, weather driven events such as hurricanes, flooding, fires, etc. happen and are out of the cruise line’s control.

So what vacation?

On 10/6/2023 at 3:28 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

Most?? No

Some, but in Europe only, not in NA

I guess that explains it.... Europe is where I sail.

ETA: Though I should clarify that I haven't tried it, usually I am in a hurry to get off the ship for what ever land week I have scheduled.

Edited by vjmatty
ETA

Disembarkation day is the absoulte worst experience of the cruise and a way has to be found to make this much more relaxed and not such a hectic experience.

At the end the whole cruise experience would be better if the debaraktion process would be extended until 11:00, with rooms to be cleared by 10:00. Breakfast to be served  at WJ until 10:30 and dinning room at usual port day times. This on the other hand would mean that embarkation would start not before 13:00  and rooms would be ready by 15:00, but over all this would be a much better solution.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 12:49 PM, Sea Dog said:

I love the key but the prices have gone through the roof.  It’s become out of reach for me.  I was enjoying it on every cruise out of Galveston but it went up way too high.  Even with this sale it’s unaffordable.  I do check every single day though because out of the blue there is a price drop.  If there is I cancel everything and book they key.

• Like 1

I guess it depends on the needs of the cruiser.  We have no need whatever for anything it offers.  We don't do internet (hubs needs the down time) and we have Diamond Plus internet free anyway.  We usually go to the quieter venues like Solarium Grill for lunch or Taste of Royal for so much less.  We board with a backpack and a beach bag, luggage is already gone and since I'm in a wheelchair we board right away.  With our D+ privileges there's just no need for paying $400 or $500 dollars.  I'll save that for the next deposit. We always leave the ship ASAP for our long drive home or to avoid the rush.  But more power to those who like it.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1