Old folks on HAL

electro

Cruising is definitely different.  Pre pandemic vs post pandemic.  Even though there have been many cutbacks, crew & passengers seem genuinely happy to be sailing again.  We have found many wonderful cruise friends & have had great service from crew since the restart.  Of course, there will always be those few exceptions. 

I remember a lovely couple from our Hawaii cruise:  she was in a wheelchair, non motorized, & he had a scooter.  They were always seen together with him pulling her wheelchair with his scooter.  They obviously adored each other after many years of marriage.  I want to be like them...still happily married after many years, no matter our mobility issues.

• Like 6

Bennybear-Yes, I think that was just a 1 time bad luck of the passenger pool.  We went away thinking if that was HAL, it wasn't for us, but have since learned it is not.  I heard passengers talking about thier multi million dollar mansions, bragging about their extensive travel, talking about the more elite cruiselines & my singer guy told me in detail about his barber shop quartet experience.  My husband & I live a modest lifestyle, but obviously have enough $ to cruise since we are able to do so often.  

And yes, we have met many people who are gracious & probably wealthy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bennybear said:

An interesting topic,  we have not experienced this to any great extent.   OnePrincess cruise out of Fort Lauderdale we did, to the extreme,   The dining room was hard to get in and out of with all the motorized scooters.  We think it may be more itinerary based.  

I had read about Celebrity’s cancellations,  unbelievable the grief that must have caused you.  Japan has been one of our favourite cruises.  We too are booked on next years holy land as we had to cancel this years.  I am not optimistic, but will look at Japan again instead.  

I don’t need these but have been using them and increased my spine density significantly. 

Wow, we have never experienced this on HAL.   We have met some lovely people, some very well travelled, probably wealthy and extremely gracious.   We have made some lifelong friends from our travels.   On Princess we were constantly asked our status and on Cunard if we were in the Grills.  So a different experience.  

4 hours ago, bennybear said:

An interesting topic,  we have not experienced this to any great extent.   OnePrincess cruise out of Fort Lauderdale we did, to the extreme,   The dining room was hard to get in and out of with all the motorized scooters.  We think it may be more itinerary based.  

I had read about Celebrity’s cancellations,  unbelievable the grief that must have caused you.  Japan has been one of our favourite cruises.  We too are booked on next years holy land as we had to cancel this years.  I am not optimistic, but will look at Japan again instead.  

I don’t need these but have been using them and increased my spine density significantly. 

Wow, we have never experienced this on HAL.   We have met some lovely people, some very well travelled, probably wealthy and extremely gracious.   We have made some lifelong friends from our travels.   On Princess we were constantly asked our status and on Cunard if we were in the Grills.  So a different experience.  

On 10/10/2023 at 1:52 PM, mcrcruiser said:

We are part of the  older crowd on HAL in our mid 80s &we continue to book & enjoy their cruises😃

Me, too.   I am also in my mid 80's and have been sailing HAL since I was in my 50's.

My husband and I celebrated our 20th anniversary on Nieu Amsterdam in 1994. 
We had a fun cruise and won many prizes.  
We’ve cruised many times with different cruise lines since then. 
  In May we’ll be celebrating our 50th anniversary on Zuiderdam.

Looking forward to a fun transatlantic passage as a seasoned cruiser. 
Diane

• Like 3

On 10/11/2023 at 3:48 PM, leerathje said:

Hahaha!  Just happen to have such a photo!  This was on the Rotterdam earlier this year.

L.

scooter.jpg

This was on the Rotterdam? To me, this does not look like Holland America Line carpet, or an area I have ever seen on HAL.. just saying. Kind of sad to me that it looks like a different cruise line carpet. I miss the old Rotterdam. so if the carpet is like this on the newest Rotterdam, that just makes me sad. 

Edited by tuolumne couple

45 minutes ago, tuolumne couple said:

This was on the Rotterdam? To me, this does not look like Holland America Line carpet, or an area I have ever seen on HAL.. just saying. Kind of sad to me that it looks like a different cruise line carpet. I miss the old Rotterdam. so if the carpet is like this on the newest Rotterdam, that just makes me sad. 

I took a screen grab of a video by Cruise with Amber I found on Youtube.

'Tis the truth.

L.

rott.JPG

12 hours ago, Banditswife said:

Bennybear-Yes, I think that was just a 1 time bad luck of the passenger pool.  We went away thinking if that was HAL, it wasn't for us, but have since learned it is not.  I heard passengers talking about thier multi million dollar mansions, bragging about their extensive travel, talking about the more elite cruiselines & my singer guy told me in detail about his barber shop quartet experience.  My husband & I live a modest lifestyle, but obviously have enough $ to cruise since we are able to do so often.  

And yes, we have met many people who are gracious & probably wealthy.

Have rarely come across any braggers.

I would think you are in the majority. People who have worked hard and been careful with their money and know the value of a dollar. Nothing wrong with modesty.

My late wife and I were well travelled in our own country while our kids were in school. No designer clothes, no new car every year or three,  built a comfortable home. Took our kids camping during school vacations. Like you, we lived a modest lifestyle.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Banditswife said:

bragging about their extensive travel, t

I enjoy engaging with those who have traveled extensively.  Sure they might be bragging but many are also very helpful in planning my time in port.  One of the wealthiest couples I ever met onboard gave us so many unique suggestions on how to travel independently once on shore.  They were delightful (and they enjoyed showing their wealth). It takes all kinds and if I start ignoring people who are quirky I will be a nation of one😉.  

• Like 5

Many HAL passengers I’ve met during the past 15 years have reminded me of a book I once read titled “The Millionaire Next Door.” The authors had studied the surface appearance of America’s wealthy versus the reality of high net worth individuals who got that way by, among other things, working hard and maintaining a modest lifestyle. Many owned “boring” businesses such as dry cleaning, paving, welding, etc., had resided in the same modest neighborhood for years, lived frugally way below their income - and saved and invested the rest. The authors noted how much lower the cost was to maintain the lifestyle of a paving contractor versus the lifestyle of an attorney with a high salary who annually paid a large mortgage for a premium neighborhood, had country club dues, bought & maintained a new foreign cars, sent the kids to the “best” schools, wore expensive suits, and so on.

Fundraisers and travel agents can tell you stories of some poorly-dressed old guy who shambled in one day without an appointment and the young receptionist almost sent them away. The guy had come into the nonprofit to get information needed by their attorney for a significant trust or bequest … or into the travel agency to book a world cruise.

I’m sure there are many high net worth individuals on a typical HAL cruise, especially the longer itineraries, who found that the low-key HAL atmosphere suits them just fine. They probably aren’t wearing the latest styles, dripping with expensive jewelry, or bragging about anything. With their time horizon shrinking for more strenuous international travel -  they (or perhaps their widow or widower) are going keep on cruising and enjoying life, walker or not, because they have more money than they’ll ever be able to spend.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I enjoy engaging with those who have traveled extensively.  Sure they might be bragging but many are also very helpful in planning my time in port.  rt ignoring people who are quirky I will be a nation of one😉.  

My comment was about a couple who kept criticizing the cruise we were on & comparing it to their extensive exotic travel.  This had been our 1st longish cruise through the Panama canal which we had saved for several months to do, to us it was the most interesting cruise we had been on thus far & the longest.  They just spoiled our enjoyment by their comments.  The bad thing was, they were on our roll call & we ended up seeing them a lot on our roll call events. 

14 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

My comment was about a couple who kept criticizing the cruise we were on & comparing it to their extensive exotic travel.  This had been our 1st longish cruise through the Panama canal which we had saved for several months to do, to us it was the most interesting cruise we had been on thus far & the longest.  They just spoiled our enjoyment by their comments.  The bad thing was, they were on our roll call & we ended up seeing them a lot on our roll call events. 

I avoid naysayers onboard.  I may have criticisms but i write them on a pad and include them in the post cruise survey.  Complaining vocally just makes it worse.  You can’t imagine how many times I have excused myself to go to the restroom- people must think I have a problem 😊

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I avoid naysayers onboard.  I may have criticisms but i write them on a pad and include them in the post cruise survey.  Complaining vocally just makes it worse.  You can’t imagine how many times I have excused myself to go to the restroom- people must think I have a problem 😊

Complainers, zealots,  and braggarts can suck the energy right out of me, so I avoid them on land, on a cruise, wherever.  

I have no need to compare checkbooks with anyone.  I'm consider myself the richest guy in the room since no amount of money can buy what I have. I'm in my 70s with no health issues and I saved all of my life and lived below my means so that now I can do whatever I want and go anywhere I want and I wake up to a good day every day.  

• Like 7

11 hours ago, leerathje said:

I took a screen grab of a video by Cruise with Amber I found on Youtube.

'Tis the truth.

L.

Thanks

I guess I should have googled it first.  I haven't sailed on the newest Rotterdam as of yet,

But I will be on the Koningsdam soon, and I see the pattern is the same but in different colors. image.png.c8d3b71c9b027031d6077760d93bb015.png

Edited by tuolumne couple

1 hour ago, Banditswife said:

You really should not let them negatively impact your enjoyment of the cruise. I think the old saying "In one ear, out the other" should apply. JMHO

• Like 2

I’ve encountered some disagreeable folks on various cruise lines.  Most were in that “near retirement/recently retired/early 70’s” age range.  They were the braggarts/complainers/our cruise on the XXXXXX was MUCH better than this one.  

I made certain to not get on the elevator with them, sit on the other side of the restaurant from them, avoid them.  By the third day of the cruise, I noticed that a LOT of other people were doing the same as I.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, lcand1923 said:

I’ve encountered some disagreeable folks on various cruise lines.  Most were in that “near retirement/recently retired/early 70’s” age range.  They were the braggarts/complainers/our cruise on the XXXXXX was MUCH better than this one.  

I made certain to not get on the elevator with them, sit on the other side of the restaurant from them, avoid them.  By the third day of the cruise, I noticed that a LOT of other people were doing the same as I.

There will always be one or two, sigh!  Once we had a couple who were supposedly a travel agent ask us the first morning of our circumnavigation of Japan cruise, weren’t we just sick of Japan?   And their constant complaints to staff and Maître’D prompted us to also have a conversation with the maître’D as the issue wasn’t really with the staff.  But easy to avoid ever after.  

I could talk about travel forever,  it’s a passion for me and I am always interested to hear others’ experiences.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 2

I can't understand why this thread about "disagreeable folks" is related to "Old Folks on HAL".

We have met many wonderful people of all ages and miserable young ones as well.

"Birds of a feather flock together" and "Fools seldom differ".

Perhaps people who criticize other age groups should start with stating their own age while disparaging others.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Many HAL passengers I’ve met during the past 15 years have reminded me of a book I once read titled “The Millionaire Next Door.” The authors had studied the surface appearance of America’s wealthy versus the reality of high net worth individuals who got that way by, among other things, working hard and maintaining a modest lifestyle. Many owned “boring” businesses such as dry cleaning, paving, welding, etc., had resided in the same modest neighborhood for years, lived frugally way below their income - and saved and invested the rest. The authors noted how much lower the cost was to maintain the lifestyle of a paving contractor versus the lifestyle of an attorney with a high salary who annually paid a large mortgage for a premium neighborhood, had country club dues, bought & maintained a new foreign cars, sent the kids to the “best” schools, wore expensive suits, and so on.

Fundraisers and travel agents can tell you stories of some poorly-dressed old guy who shambled in one day without an appointment and the young receptionist almost sent them away. The guy had come into the nonprofit to get information needed by their attorney for a significant trust or bequest … or into the travel agency to book a world cruise.

I’m sure there are many high net worth individuals on a typical HAL cruise, especially the longer itineraries, who found that the low-key HAL atmosphere suits them just fine. They probably aren’t wearing the latest styles, dripping with expensive jewelry, or bragging about anything. With their time horizon shrinking for more strenuous international travel -  they (or perhaps their widow or widower) are going keep on cruising and enjoying life, walker or not, because they have more money than they’ll ever be able to spend.

This is so true, and people underestimate people to their loss.   This happened to a friends father,  at a car dealership.   He was ignored and bought two brand new vehicles at the next dealership.  He could easily have bought both dealerships.   

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DianeCcruiser said:

My husband and I celebrated our 20th anniversary on Nieu Amsterdam in 1994. 
We had a fun cruise and won many prizes.  
We’ve cruised many times with different cruise lines since then. 
  In May we’ll be celebrating our 50th anniversary on Zuiderdam.

Looking forward to a fun transatlantic passage as a seasoned cruiser. 
Diane

How wonderful! I’ll be on that cruise as well celebrating (a little early 😉) our 30th! 

We were on a Celebrity cruise about a decade ago.  One evening in the MDR we were seated at a table for 8 when another British couple arrived late to fill the 2 vacant seats.  The woman of the couple immediately loudly announced that it was their 37th cruise - the fifth one that year.  (No one had asked how many cruises they'd taken.)  She then proceeded to relate how awful most of those cruises had been.

I think I would have found a better way to spend my money long before that "37th cruise" if I disliked cruising as much as she did, but  as the saying goes:  "It takes all sorts....".

We've been very fortunate to meet some lovely people - a few of whom have remained firm friends -  and not once was personal finances discussed.

• Like 1