Celebrity Edge has Entered Dry Dock

Jim_Iain

On 10/16/2023 at 6:03 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Joan,   you will be our Anchor - broadcasting live from the newly refurbished Edge.   Can't wait to hear your reports on what was and wasn't done.   I hope some of the ship worker or crew start posting some pictures of the work in progress.  

I'll do my best.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

There's nothing happening at the Suez Canal.

Only 190 miles separates the Canal from Gaza and the Edge could be a nice big target for Hamas rockets. But it is not my call and I am sure Celebrity would not go there if there were any safety issues.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Haha 1

On 10/18/2023 at 9:38 AM, terrydtx said:

Jim looks like  we were. 89 more days before we board her in Sydney.

We board her in 36 days in Singapore -    Starting to get excite.   I still have a hard time wrapping my head around 17 hours flights -  I use to work in Singapore but I don't handle jet lag as easy as  I once did.

• Like 3

On 10/19/2023 at 8:42 PM, terrydtx said:

Only 190 miles separates the Canal from Gaza and the Edge could be a nice big target for Hamas rockets. But it is not my call and I am sure Celebrity would not go there if there were any safety issues.

An attack on a cruise ship in the canal would block the canal to all traffic, which would have another devastating effect on Egypt's economy, making Egypt into an enemy of Hamas, so why would they do that?  Hamas would then be surrounded, and it would likely bring the US actively into the war.  Lose lose all around.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, hcat said:

whats the itinerary?

Jim..thanks for the pics u posted.

After drydocking on the 30th, Edge will be making its way to Dubai and then Singapore on its was to Australia for the winter. She will have to go through the Suez Canal at some point.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

I also hope there is seating at the bar.  Getting a drink from the bar is not the same.  

I agree 100%.  The stools have been removed from the bar on Millennium.  However, there is a high top table and chairs by the glass window next to the door to the outside deck.  I simply took one of the chairs and pulled it up to the bar and enjoyed a cocktail or two while talking with the bartender.  

On 10/19/2023 at 7:42 PM, terrydtx said:

Only 190 miles separates the Canal from Gaza and the Edge could be a nice big target for Hamas rockets.

Any idea of the distance of their longest range missile?  (I'll give you a hint---a lot less than 190 miles, with little accuracy).

12 hours ago, terrydtx said:

After drydocking on the 30th, Edge will be making its way to Dubai and then Singapore on its was to Australia for the winter. She will have to go through the Suez Canal at some point.

No Terry, she is making her way to Australia for the summer 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, cruisefam38 said:

Will the drydock include removing and sandblasting away the Big Orange Barnacle?

The drydock include sandblasting and usually painting the hull if needed.     I'm sure the barnacles will be removed as I understand that is a requirement to sail in New Zealand waters.   That is pure hearsay and welcome correction.   They usually also service and rebuild the azipods and then they do sea trial before re-entering service.

I wish more pictures would be posted.   Normally the Captain and the Crew are out shooting pictures as well as some of the staff at the Dry Dock. 

• Like 2