TK to Go, Solis the New Innovation.

2seabournsailors

1 hour ago, thebigcruiseguy said:

Having tried Ovation in May 2022, we were quite pleased with the overall experience. We did encounter some minor disappointment with the food, namely in The Restaurant. We happened to like TK Grill quite a bit. We chalked up the food challenges to being so soon after cruising re opened post covid. 

We decided to give SS (Moon) a try earlier this year, and I can confidently say (unless we want to try Nova or purely itin driven) we likely will not be returning to SS. The entertainment was AWFUL and makes SB entertainment look incredible. No comparison. Food on SS was a major letdown- probably some of the worst food at sea. We were shocked by this on so many levels. Yes the venues on Moon are gorgeous, and the mixology was fantastic (amazing cocktails etc) but the food, except in Le Dame was consistently just bad. There’s very little “vibe” or “life” at all on SS- it’s just dead after 10pm. SB for roughly the same size ship felt much more alive!

The only thing I hope SB does is improve their cocktail / mixology program. I remember not having high end mixers (such as Fever Tree tonics)- that IMO would elevate the bar experience for this caliber cruise line. 

We were also on Silver Moon recently, and 100% agree with your assessment. We’re Seabourn Diamond members, and while SB isn’t perfect, it’s definitely our favorite cruise line. Surprised you didn’t have access to Fever Tree, as it’s always been available when requested.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 10:55 AM, SLSD said:

I am a bit worried about stuffiness onboard Silversea and a slightly older demographic--if that is even possible.  While onboard entertainment is not the most important thing to us, I still remember how hideously bad it was the last time we sailed Silversea--and how nonexistent the cruise director was.  Our itinerary was great, but the on ship experience was very staid and dull.  Have things changed?  This was quite a few years ago.  

Based on a cruise on the Silver Cloud last year you pretty well captured it.

On 10/24/2023 at 11:29 AM, saminina said:

Not satisfied with SS or SB food?  There is an alternative line on the scene if food is a primary influence on booking.

21 days on that alternative line and very close to zero negative experience in food department, or any other department.

3 hours ago, saminina said:

21 days on that alternative line and very close to zero negative experience in food department, or any other department.

Don't be coy, it isn't your usual modus operandi. I am curious if you are talking Oceania or Crystal or whatever?

Edited by frantic36

2 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Don't be coy, it isn't your usual modus operandi. I am curious if you are talking Oceania or Crystal or whatever?

Explora…been reading posts from he or she on the explora cc board

Nancy

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nancygp said:

Explora…been reading posts from he or she on the explora cc board

Nancy

Interesting?! vistaman  who has very high almost excessive standards and doesn't like Seabourn due to getting a bad OB one year and maybe other issues, did one cruise on Explora and cancelled the next while onboard. I would try Explora as we have a friend there in Corporate but after reading recent reviews, like all new ships, I would keep expectations mid line.

Edited by frantic36
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I would try Explora as we have a friend there in Corporate but after reading recent reviews, like all new ships, I would keep expectations mid line.

As more reviews roll in from other very experienced travelers (Hank, Floris, Saminina in particular), my expectations for Explora have gone up.  While there are some things that are probably not going to be to my liking it really sounds like they have put together a competitive product in the luxury space.  Had a great voyage on Odyssey last month, and will be trying out Explora next month, so will be interested to see if it changes our plans going forward.  We like smaller ships and likely will find Explora too big; I’d assume SS will suffer the most from Explora entering the market because their appeal (at least from their most vocal fans) is that the ships are new and and have more dining options - Explora appears to have massively one-upped SS in those respects.  Seabourn innovating at a quicker pace recently is likely driven by competition like SS and Explora.  

Edited by johng75370

6 hours ago, johng75370 said:

Seabourn innovating at a quicker pace recently is likely driven by competition like SS and Explora.

Is Seabourn really innovating??  TK to Solis is a sideways change and likely a downgrade for many of us.  They still don't open the restaurant for breakfast or lunch and when they do the choices are minimal/same as Colonnade buffet.

Bringing back the soaps and block parties won't do it for us;)

How about a dedicated commitment to the Restaurant's food quality and service?  This has fallen so far compared to the little sisters.  Also we like tableside prep a la TK and previously available in the Restaurant on the smaller ships.  I suspect this too will be gone with the transition to Solis.

• Like 1

The highest accolades I am reading from several well traveled on a few boards about Explora is the food. Apparently that is the biggest wow factor, along with the decor of the ships. 
I have read that the interactions with the teams onboard are unique and either entertaining or off putting. I am not sure the total details there, but apparently several have commented on the new titles for long standing positions, as well as how the employees interact with passengers. 
They have an aggressive ship build schedule….and from what I have seen, a steep price point. It will be interesting to see how they roll out. 

9 hours ago, johng75370 said:

We like smaller ships and likely will find Explora too big; I’d assume SS will suffer the most from Explora entering the market because their appeal (at least from their most vocal fans) is that the ships are new and and have more dining options - Explora appears to have massively one-upped SS in those respects.

Explora running their buildout at 900 pax / 64k tonnage, which is similar passengers but much heavier than the Viking Ocean fleet (those are ~47k tonnage), and obviously going after a different class of service as well. Both Regent and SS investing at the ~730 pax, 55k tonnage level. Between those three going to be a lot of competition for a similar audience and a need to fill a lot of new capacity. Should be nice for those who want to go on cruises...lots of options and probably a lot of deals.

• Like 1

Explora has serious issues that will prevent it from being classified as luxury.  I'd say the same for SS and SB, but many of their customers will not agree.  Food wise, Explora is much closer to the Europa ships.   I can't help people that think what they are eating while on SS and SB is acceptable.    Well, it is mostly acceptable as proven

3 hours ago, saminina said:

That one got cut short..   As proven by their loyal customer base and so many new passengers that have found their own definition of luxury by being on a smaller ship than the mega type.

So then, who do you recommend? We thoroughly enjoyed our sailing earlier this year on SB. I have read several posts from long time SB customers who are no longer, and SS has been quoted as a preferred option.  Since I have started following SB, you are clearly not in the SB camp any longer, but I am not sure I have read which cruise line does check the boxes for you. This truly isn’t meant to be aggressive against your position. I am just curious. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 10/23/2023 at 12:20 PM, SDuckers said:

This is great info, thanks!  We will be on the crossing on the Ovation from April 12-26, so sounds like we will get to be among the first to test it out on that ship!

We are on that crossing as well! Our first time on one of the big ships. We are looking forward to experiencing it and exploring the similarities and differences.

See you then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeNice ToEveryone said:

We are on that crossing as well! Our first time on one of the big ships. We are looking forward to experiencing it and exploring the similarities and differences.

See you then.

We are on the previous cruise of the Ovation when the transition takes place.  I will post reviews.  

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 5:59 AM, thebigcruiseguy said:

Having tried Ovation in May 2022, we were quite pleased with the overall experience. We did encounter some minor disappointment with the food, namely in The Restaurant. We happened to like TK Grill quite a bit. We chalked up the food challenges to being so soon after cruising re opened post covid. 

We decided to give SS (Moon) a try earlier this year, and I can confidently say (unless we want to try Nova or purely itin driven) we likely will not be returning to SS. The entertainment was AWFUL and makes SB entertainment look incredible. No comparison. Food on SS was a major letdown- probably some of the worst food at sea. We were shocked by this on so many levels. Yes the venues on Moon are gorgeous, and the mixology was fantastic (amazing cocktails etc) but the food, except in Le Dame was consistently just bad. There’s very little “vibe” or “life” at all on SS- it’s just dead after 10pm. SB for roughly the same size ship felt much more alive!

The only thing I hope SB does is improve their cocktail / mixology program. I remember not having high end mixers (such as Fever Tree tonics)- that IMO would elevate the bar experience for this caliber cruise line. 

I always get Fever Tree tonic on Seabourn.

I'm not a cocktail drinker but the TK bar does have a selection of cocktails that seem popular.

9 hours ago, saminina said:

Explora has serious issues that will prevent it from being classified as luxury.  I'd say the same for SS and SB, but many of their customers will not agree.  Food wise, Explora is much closer to the Europa ships.   I can't help people that think what they are eating while on SS and SB is acceptable.    Well, it is mostly acceptable as proven

And what is the serious issue?  Do tell!  

• Like 1

Issues, not just one.   Being SB board, not discussing here.  A SB thread with food topic.

Vineyard View....I know yours is a sincere question.  It's not for me to recommend anything to anybody.  You've read the Explora thread and know there are several folks giving high praises to their food offerings.   If you take pleasure in ordering off menu, Explora is not where you want to be.   They are very careful to address food allergies.   Included wines are drinkable.....not enjoyable.   I made local purchases and they put their corkscrew to work.   No wine people accepted a tasting offer.

Saminina, it was a sincere question, so thank you for recognizing that. I am just curious as another line, not SB, is likely being removed from our radar. I honestly am not inclined to think that Explora is going to be on our radar either, so that was part of the reason for my query. 

We were on a SB cruise this past June for my birthday . A ten day med cruise . Picked this cruise because of the ports. Ate mostly in the colonnade for the beautiful views. Tried the grill on my birthday . Asked for the lobster without the sauce . It was ok . Would prefer a grilled lobster with butter or a lobster fra Diiavolo. An ordinary cake with a couple of macarons on top ! We are frequent travelers to Europe and love the food. SB offered interesting dishes in name only . They lacked serious flavor. The TK chicken was good. A tiny butterscotch pudding was a disappointment. We ate once in the restaurant, but food was bland and nothing special ! I complained to maitre  D suggesting they invite guest chefs to cook meals . So Solis offers hope in my opinion if the descriptions and flavors match. We’ll see since we’re on the Quest in March. I like mixologist suggesting since drinks were unimaginative.  A music duo jazz or blues would be nice . We had a guitarist and a piano player. SB needs to step up their game . We were on an NCL TA last year, enjoyed the music in the dining room and the drinks in the bar. The food was acceptable considering the price of the cruise . 
In port we could t wait for French mussels, Spanish tapas and clams ! 

We are currently on Encore.  We were told last night that multiple Chefs boarded in Istanbul to practice Solis dishes.  It will then be rolled out on the Quest.  Except for a few good meals at Earth and Ocean, food has been mediocre at best. Service even worse.  We have even had to bus our own tables at Colinade to get a seat.   While we have been able to find classic Seabourn amazing staff, we are shocked by the plethora of rude staff.   They will need a massive culinary team to help this ship.

6 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

We are currently on Encore.  We were told last night that multiple Chefs boarded in Istanbul to practice Solis dishes.  It will then be rolled out on the Quest.  Except for a few good meals at Earth and Ocean, food has been mediocre at best. Service even worse.  We have even had to bus our own tables at Colinade to get a seat.   While we have been able to find classic Seabourn amazing staff, we are shocked by the plethora of rude staff.   They will need a massive culinary team to help this ship.

Wow.   I have never encountered rude staff on any Seabourn ship.   Exactly what are you referring to?  

12 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Wow.   I have never encountered rude staff on any Seabourn ship.   Exactly what are you referring to?  

Nor me.  We were on Encore only a couple of months ago and all the staff were charming.  Not a problem from one of them.