Walk me off the ledge. GTY just received room number.

Just now, Cruise5life said:

Yes now after looking closer I see what they are talking about.  
https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/ships/deckbydeck.php?ship=Voyager-of-the-Seas&deck=6

here⬆️  You can see videos of many of the aft cabins.   And for a GTY cabin. I’d be very happy with the cabin.  It’s the chance you take.  

I'm a long time member of cruise deck plans and I've also stayed in aft cabins on Voyager class a few times.  So I know what I'm talking about when I say that on deck six, there's a railing that separates the rooms 'balcony' from the deck.  Not really a balcony, it's flat/flush with the entended deck area that is only accessbile by crew.  The OP knew the risks, and that they might get an obstructed view.  But I have to agree that it's not really a balcony if its not elevated over something, which it is not. That's the point I was trying to make.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Cabin preferences are not universal. Most posters seem to covet aft facing balconies but the OP isn't happy with one. What is desirable to one person may not be desirable to another.

I'm one who loves aft facing. But the category isnt a group category I can book nonrefundable or I'd be booking them. .. lucky to me he got a aft.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Some people simply don't care where their room is or what the view is, too.

As someone who used to book almost nothing but interior GTY's, that would be me! I never had to worry about a bad view. 😁

I do have location preferences, just not strong enough to overcome the savings and it was always easy to switch my cabin if I got one I didn't like.

That said, now that I use a TA and mostly no longer book GTY's, there is certainly some value in getting to pick my cabin even though location is not super important to me. I actually did initially have a GTY for my Allure cruise next week but we switched it to a CP view interior because the dynamic pricing shenangians made that the cheapest category available after a GTY and it was a very tiny amount more. I'm not sure I'll spend much time looking out my window on sitting on that bench but at least I know I like my location and the room is a bit bigger than a standard interior.

26 minutes ago, rockmom said:

I'm a long time member of cruise deck plans and I've also stayed in aft cabins on Voyager class a few times.  So I know what I'm talking about when I say that on deck six, there's a railing that separates the rooms 'balcony' from the deck.  Not really a balcony, it's flat/flush with the entended deck area that is only accessbile by crew.  The OP knew the risks, and that they might get an obstructed view.  But I have to agree that it's not really a balcony if its not elevated over something, which it is not. That's the point I was trying to make.  

Geez.  I said I see what your saying.   No need to flex.  
now go have an umbrella drink or 4.     

1 minute ago, Cruise5life said:

Geez.  I said I see what your saying.   No need to flex.  
now go have an umbrella drink or 4.     

I posted this reply while you were updating your post and I didn't see if until after this one posted--if you go back, you will see that I then saw your update and 'liked' it.  Now you go have an umbrella drink. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rockmom said:

I posted this reply while you were updating your post and I didn't see if until after this one posted--if you go back, you will see that I then saw your update and 'liked' it.  Now you go have an umbrella drink. 

I didn’t update anything on that post.    🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️    🍹🍹🍹🍹

To the OP:

You asked us to talk you off the ledge. Here goes:

I feel your pain. It is a disappointment. You are correct. I have been disappointed by balcony guarantees myself.

Take a deep breath and exhale slowly. (Can you tell I used to be an L&D nurse?) You can still have a good cruise. All your money is not wasted. Take some of the money you saved with the GTY and go get yourself a drink, whatever your comfort beverage is. Stay out of the offending cabin until you are ready to make peace with it.

Maybe this will be a cruise where you hang out and meet some new friends. Maybe the Solarium is your happy place on this cruise. It's a big ship. You are at sea. No one from work is harassing you. Maybe next time you book, you will make some different choices. But for now. . .it is what it is.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, BND said:

Most of the complaints from people who book gty cabins are location and how can I change my cabin.  Both can easily be avoided.  

The only ship we have ever booked a guarantee OV Balcony on was the ICON.  I really don’t care what room we are assigned, but the price was right and we won’t be in our room very much.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kiki and The Noush said:

I will never understand why people book a GTY and then complain.  You got exactly what you bargained for.  

I see this poster as venting more than complaining. They didn't claim that they got anything other than what they paid for. They admitted not knowing such a cabin existed and even ended the post with "lesson learned."

Nothing wrong with sharing your disappointment on a message board and looking for some support.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, BND said:

There's a simple way around getting a cabin you don't want.  We have always selected our cabin so it's never a surprise.   We wouldn't be happy with an aft balcony because when we've been in the aft of a ship that has a lot of motion, it really makes me feel it more.  I know gty is normally cheaper than selecting your own, but is a few hundred dollars worth more than comfort or location?  There are several posts a week by people who don't like where their gty cabin is.  GTY is how Royal gets cabins booked that normally might go unsold.  They're not doing it to save cruisers money, they're doing it to make money on cabins that might not sell otherwise.  

Well.. this is not entirely true. People buy those balconies. We bought obstructed balconies for example.  People who buy GTY only assigned those if others did not buy them. And they pay less. fair deal.

13 hours ago, m-of-connor said:

I know it is a gamble when you book GTY and I thought we would be happy with any balcony they gave us.  I could not be more wrong.  I have been patiently awaiting our room assignment dreaming of sitting on my balcony watching the waves and looking for the little flying fishes.  Well that is not going to be the case on this trip. Yes, we have a balcony, but I can't sit and watch the waves or look for flying fish. I get to look out on a deck, I can see the ocean from a distant but holly heck I never knew these rooms existed. 

The ship is sold out so if anyone has stayed in one of the aft balconies on deck 6 (Voyager of the Seas) please tell me what you thought of it.  It is the most non balcony, balcony room I have encountered.  Who knew, lesson learned. 

I never let RCCI pick a cabin. I learned the hard way. My sister and I like hump Jr. Suites, and we have a B2B on Voyager in January on deck 9, for exactly that set-up.  I have heart damage from Covid ( exposed as nurse) and some days I spend a lot of time on the balcony and like a great view. 
The good news is the Voyager is a great ship, and lots of wonderful empty areas on decks where you can chill with the ocean in front of you. 
One suggestion is to sign up for Royal-up; you never know!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser Girl said:

Honest question here: After looking at the videos of that type of cabin, what would happen if you jumped off your balcony to hang out on the deck on the other side? I realize there are no chairs out there, but could you just go look at the view? Would the crew come and reprimand you?

Can't say I wasn't wondering the same thing! It would be cool if there was a gate on that "balcony" that opened to that deck. They could sell those cabins for a premium.

32 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser Girl said:

Honest question here: After looking at the videos of that type of cabin, what would happen if you jumped off your balcony to hang out on the deck on the other side? I realize there are no chairs out there, but could you just go look at the view? Would the crew come and reprimand you?

After seeing videos and pics of these balconies before, I absolutely wondered how many drunk folk jumped over to check it out

40 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

It’s all about what you make of it.  I’ve been “stuck” with a lifeboat obstructed deck 6 cabin on Quantum…these views just totally sucked and ruined the whole cruise.

IMG_4263.thumb.jpeg.d52a57a52521676d37663896c367ffeb.jpeg

IMG_4282.thumb.jpeg.8f1f050a06cfbcdab79693666f980dd6.jpegIMG_4276.thumb.jpeg.58e859183b39a5d3553865e118f3ba42.jpeg

Sarcasm intended.

Hmm, next you’ll tell us that because had to stand up for those sucky views, you had to suffer through daily foot massages from your cabinmate.  Matching your sarcasm.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, GimmeOcean said:

Can't say I wasn't wondering the same thing! It would be cool if there was a gate on that "balcony" that opened to that deck. They could sell those cabins for a premium.

I don’t think so as the area behind your balcony would not be private if they did that. You’d have to keep your drapes closed or your neighbors (and any friends they invite) on that deck could look into your cabin.

Edited by Starry Eyes

8 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I don’t think so as the area behind your balcony would not be private if they did that. You’d have to keep your drapes closed or your neighbors (and any friends they invite) on that deck could look into your cabin.

That's still the case with these because crew has access to that area.