Is it possible to self explore ports when cruising with Holland America Line?

RagnarDanneskjold

10 minutes ago, RagnarDanneskjold said:

I would like to know if getting out on your own during port days is allowed when cruising with Holland America.

You can always explore ports on your own on HAL cruises, subject only to any of that country's own limitations. 

• Like 1

Yes, from an inveterate self-explorer.

One tip: Be sure to look for itineraries that allow for a generous amount of time ashore when booking a cruise. Especially when tendering is involved, as that can cut into the amount of time you will have ashore.

And one more:  If planning to do things on your own away from the immediate vicinity of the ship, it makes the most sense to go to your farthest point first and then work your way back toward the ship. This will avoid any unpleasant last-minute issues with running into traffic or difficulties getting a cab, etc. 

• Like 10

Pros: usually find cheaper, less crowded and more in depth tours when done on your own (do a lot of research on vendor) or join with a few other passengers (your roll call is a good place to look).

Cons: port delays or cancellations are common so book with someone that offers refund or no charge until tour complete. Make sure your time is no earlier than an hour after expected ship arrival and return no later than 2 hours before ship all aboard depending on itinerary. Many places have traffic issues getting back to ship and if you don't get back in time, ship will leave you doing a private tour. 

• Like 1

Lots of "funny" missing the ship videos out there online - people running like crazy, because they got back late with onboard passengers on deck either cheering or booing, depending on the final outcome.

It can happen. Especially when the shore time is different from  the ship time - or as in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico - I think there is/was a half hour difference between the two times?

We have from time to time gotten warnings from HAL while on board if there have been significant crime reports in the upcoming port areas. Reminder however, one must do their own due diligence up front if embarking one your own.

Lima Peru and Montego Bay Jamaica as no-go areas come to mind from past cruises in the areas around the port,  or if contemplating independent walks into town. But then even on shore excursions, you can be sitting ducks for organized robbery gangs like in St Petersburg. 

• Like 2

There are four broad categories of shore excursions.

1. Those booked with the cruise line

2. Those booked with excursion companies such as Shore Excursions Group and Viator

3. Those booked directly with local tour providers

4. DIY tours, varying from a simple walk around the port to renting a car to visit more distant locations

I've listed these in reverse order to our actual practise. We almost never do 1 or 2, and most frequently do 4. While there are pros and cons with each approach, 4 offers the ability to design an outing that you can tailor to your specific interests. As I have both the time and interest in conducting extensive research, the planning process is part of the enjoyment of the excursions.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Tom O. said:

The only port I am aware of where there is problem self exploring, is St. Petersburg, because of visa requirement of Russia. Organized ours include visas.

I think it is safe to say no one on a cruise is going to St. Petersburg anytime in the near future.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

We generally use self explore unless in countries where we have specific areas we want to visit.  In that case we book with HAL.  Last cruise in Jamaica reinforced why we would never do a walk-a round in that country.  Way too unpleasant and dangerous outside the port gates.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RagnarDanneskjold said:

I would like to know if getting out on your own during port days is allowed when cruising with Holland America.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to the Holland America board!

We have cruised mostly on HAL and have made use of (about equally): ship's excursions, private tours, and "just wandering around" including hailing cabs. We have had excellent experiences with all of those variations, and only a few bloopers. Which can happen on your own, too! For example, the Hop-on-Hop-off buses in Cartagena Columbia, Barcelona, and Monte Carlo were tremendous wastes of time. Despite having used them very successfully in Dublin and Copenhagen when staying land-based on our own. 

What itineraries are you thinking of? There is a section on CC that can help with most: Ports of Call divided by region --

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2-ports-of-call/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RagnarDanneskjold said:

Yes, absolutely.  Along with the above suggestion to join the roll call for your sailing (where many excursions are planned), please check out the "ports of call" boards here on Cruise Critic.  It has lots of port-specific information for the self-explorer.

We frequently explore on our own, especially if we've visited that port previously.  I am careful to note the ship's time before wandering off on my own.  And I wear an old fashioned wrist watch that is set to the ship's time.  Cell phones can go wonky in foreign ports & as others have said - local & ship time might be different.  We make a point of heading back to the ship at least a 1/2 to 1 hour ahead of the all aboard time.  All aboard time will be posted in the daily & IIRC in the navigator app.  The navigator app will also show ship's time, but doesn't always work when away from the ship.  

Good luck exploring on your own & have a great cruise.

4 hours ago, boatmad said:

We generally use self explore unless in countries where we have specific areas we want to visit.  In that case we book with HAL.  Last cruise in Jamaica reinforced why we would never do a walk-a round in that country.  Way too unpleasant and dangerous outside the port gates.

On a different cruise line we did a Bob Marley bus tour in Jamaica. (It was a ship's tour.) And I was glad to see a part of Jamaica that tourists normally do not see. And we and the others on the bus felt perfectly safe.

6 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

We have from time to time gotten warnings from HAL while on board if there have been significant crime reports in the upcoming port areas. Reminder however, one must do their own due diligence up front if embarking one your own.

Lima Peru and Montego Bay Jamaica as no-go areas come to mind from past cruises in the areas around the port,  or if contemplating independent walks into town. But then even on shore excursions, you can be sitting ducks for organized robbery gangs like in St Petersburg. 

Curently the US State Department has issued a worldwide warning about ventuing into any area where there are a lot of tourists (read where ever a ship docks). Americans are not very popular right now and offer a rich target as we tend to stand out in any group of people. So take care. Myself, I am planning on enjoying a full 30 days on board. Zero need ot become a target.

Or Paris or Madrid or London. Or you can get shot while at a bowling alley in Maine. Everyone has their own comfort levels. I went to the Riviera Maya the summer of swine flu and drug cartels, and had no issues. I went to Morocco and Egypt this fall and Madrid right when the Israel/ Gaza fight began. I had no issues any of those times either . However, I was cautious, didn't wear expensive jewelry, and was careful where I went. I also traveled during COVID, but I was very careful where I went. Me, I will keep traveling and going to ports. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Banditswife said:

We frequently explore on our own, especially if we've visited that port previously.  I am careful to note the ship's time before wandering off on my own.  And I wear an old fashioned wrist watch that is set to the ship's time.  Cell phones can go wonky in foreign ports & as others have said - local & ship time might be different.  We make a point of heading back to the ship at least a 1/2 to 1 hour ahead of the all aboard time.  All aboard time will be posted in the daily & IIRC in the navigator app.  The navigator app will also show ship's time, but doesn't always work when away from the ship.  

Good luck exploring on your own & have a great cruise.

A good tip is to take a photo of the all-aboard time sign as you leave the ship.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

This was funny to read. A friend in high school actually read the book and then made up big buttons, the kind with the pin on the back, that asked, "Who is John Galt?"

Hi neighbor (I'm in Everett). Don't know if you've ever read it, but the OPs handle is a main character in the book -- which is why I posted the comment.

Edited by AV8rix

We often walked around on our own. But listen carefully to ship advise - when in Rio de Janiero we were told to be extra careful - several passengers and crew were picpocked and a friend had his gold necklace torn off his neck. Know your surroundings and keep your eyes open wherever you go!

Our favorite excursion is one we do ourselves. In St. Thomas, we get in a taxi and go to Coki beach. Costs $20. each way for the two of us. At Coki we love to feed the fish. You CAN pay about $100. for two of you to take HAL's excursion to Coki. If you do, you get to watch someone else feed the fish, but what's the fun in spending twice the money to watch someone else do that?