Does the custodial parent need..

39 minutes ago, Dcellbattery said:

Does the custodial parent need permission from non custodial parent to take child on cruise?

Our son did, it was a closed loop but visited foreign countries. His lawyer told him to not do anything to give the mother a reason to complain. Royal never checked anything upon boarding. 

• Like 1

Some will say it’s not necessary but what if you are one of the lucky ones and they ask for it during boarding?

We took our granddaughters on cruises and were asked to produce a letter once on Disney and twice on Royal.  And on one of the Royal cruises their mother was with us!! 😳😳

I personally would rather be safe than sorry…..

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Dcellbattery said:

After call to RCCL, only thing needed is establishing relationship between minor and parent. No permission from other parent needed.  

Personally, I would get that in writing from RCCL.  Others on here have mentioned they've been asked for it.  If you're asked for it and don't have it, I don't think "I was told on the phone I don't need one." is going to help much.

Or just create a form, have the other parent sign & notarize (your local library might have free notary services if you don't know anyone). "I, <non-custodial parent>, give permission for <custodial parent> to take <child>, D.O.B. <date of birth>, out of the country on Royal Caribbean's <ship>, leaving on <departure date> and returning <return date>." 

1 hour ago, Dcellbattery said:

After call to RCCL, only thing needed is establishing relationship between minor and parent. No permission from other parent needed.  

Did you discuss with them anything regarding a passport vs travelling with only a birth certificate? In order to get a passport for a minor both parents must be present, so the existence of the passport indicates both parents approved of international travel. 

Just want to make sure if the information they gave you is for travel with birth certificate or with passport, or  if it was not specified. 

28 minutes ago, xeriod said:

That only provides forms for kids that are not your own.  I have never been able to find a form by Royal for one parent travelling.  The only other thing it mentions is when the child's last name does not match.  There is no reference that I have found on the website about one parent travelling with their child with the same last name.

Also depends where you are going. Some countries are concerned more than others. If you can either bring paper work of sole custody or have the other parent sign off on a notarized form/letter. Passport is not enough, the child could have obtained the passport earlier than current concerns.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SG65CB said:

Did you discuss with them anything regarding a passport vs travelling with only a birth certificate? In order to get a passport for a minor both parents must be present, so the existence of the passport indicates both parents approved of international travel. 

Just want to make sure if the information they gave you is for travel with birth certificate or with passport, or  if it was not specified. 

Told only BC with no passport and that is the information I was given. 2nd parent’s permission is not need if relationship is established. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dcellbattery said:

If you call back and talk to a different person, I bet you'll get a different answer. My suggestion is to have the notarized permission from the non-custodial parent. If they ask for it and you don't have it, you (and the child) are going to be very disappointed.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Dcellbattery said:

Thanks everyone. Unsure what I will do, letter no letter. Will return after new year and let you know what happened. Thanks again this board is the best. 

Just to be safe, I got a notarized letter from my children's father even though they have passports. We sail in just over three weeks. I'll let you know if they even ask for it.

There’s a young widow who posts frequently on the family boards. She often sails with her twins and always carries her late husband’s death certificate even though she has passports for the kids. Sometimes they ask and sometimes they don’t but much better safe than sorry. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 3:40 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Our son did, it was a closed loop but visited foreign countries. His lawyer told him to not do anything to give the mother a reason to complain. Royal never checked anything upon boarding. 

True, My Sister and Brother in 2 different States had it written in Divorce that couldn't take kids over 3hrs away or out of State w/o other Parents permission. A standard for all Divorces in both States. Custodial/Non made no difference, both had Joint Legal. Glad my Parents got along so well, Dad and Step Dad worked same Company and would go Golfing and Bowling together

On 11/18/2023 at 4:47 PM, cruiseguy1016 said:

If you call back and talk to a different person, I bet you'll get a different answer. My suggestion is to have the notarized permission from the non-custodial parent. If they ask for it and you don't have it, you (and the child) are going to be very disappointed.

Calledl back and receive same response. Letter is not needed. Thanks for that suggestion for confirmation.