Can't add passenger, I'm about to cry.

GetToLivin

I've never encountered this before so if I'm an idiot, please forgive me.

I was told by my TA I could add a 4th person to our itinerary at any time because we are in a CLS which sleeps 4 people. We were waiting for the 4th passenger's passport to come through and when it did, I emailed the TA right away to add him. My TA just informed me, "They are completely sold out for that sailing! They won’t even let me put him on a waitlist in case someone else cancels. The RCI rep said all we can do is continue calling back every day/week until the sailing. The Revenue Department wouldn’t open anything / make exceptions."

I'm in a CLS which sleeps 4, why won't they let me add a 4th person?! I'm so confused/upset. This is the Dec 31 sailing in my signature. Is this normal? Any advice? This kid is going to be so disappointed and I can't even imagine telling him he can't go 😭 I didn't even think this was a possible scenario.

The ship can be at capacity before every berth is sold out.  This has to do with space on lifeboats and at muster stations.  It's a safety issue.  If it's sold out, it's sold out.  I think you're past final payment, so I don't think there's any option to change sailings, so unfortunately I think you're going to have to tell the child thta he cannot go.

Edited by Thoenix
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Your TA is a nincompoop. Should have booked the 4th person and if they could not go they could have been removed or a no show.  Also since it appears you are booked on a western Caribbean closed loop cruise your 4th person may have been able to cruise with a birth certificate if the passport had not arrived. I would be looking for a new TA.

• Like 34

13 minutes ago, Thoenix said:

The ship can be at capacity before every berth is sold out.  This has to do with space on lifeboats and at muster stations.  It's a safety issue.  If it's sold out, it's sold out.  I think you're past final payment, so I don't think there's any option to change sailings, so unfortunately I think you're going to have to tell the child thta he cannot go.

Yep, there is cabin capacity and there is the "ship's capacity", both are different.  As I've been told, once the "ship's capacity" has been reached, regardless of the "cabin's capacity", the safety features of the ship can no longer safely evacuate the ship in an emergency along with other activities during emergency situations.  There is only X amount of seats on the lifeboats, again regardless of the "Cabin's Capacity".   And, I for one, am happy they actually follow that rule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You seem pretty close to sail date so doesn’t seem like you’ll have a lot of options at least not cheap ones. I have heard of this happening to others over the years. I would guess being a holiday cruise isn’t helping. I’d get rid of the TA. They should have known better. Cruise capacity is based on life boat capacity not room capacity. People assume because they have the beds available in the stateroom that it will be allowed.

Maybe they’d allow you to move to a similar or lesser stateroom that is in a section with room in the muster station?

This topic comes up very often on Cruise Critic. As a regular poster I'm really surprised you didn't know about this rule. That being said, I'm so sorry you guys are in this position right now, I'm sure it's really disappointing. But keep checking multiple times a day, someone on that sailing is bound to cancel for something at the last minute and if they do, you can snag their spot. Maybe you can even book the cheapest guarantee cabin for that person, just to get them on the ship.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, twangster said:

Check back daily, people do cancel for a number of reasons.  With 6,000 guests involved, stuff happens to someone all the time.

Is it such that any one person among the entire 6,000 or so has to cancel, or would it have to be a person within their muster section?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Denversail said:

You might be able to book 3rd and 4th into a different stateroom. If I recall I don’t think you get penalized for  canceling 3rd/4th after final payment but I’m not sure. 

It’s if people cancel. Right now they are not allowing to even put on waiting list. 

45 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

This topic comes up very often on Cruise Critic. As a regular poster I'm really surprised you didn't know about this rule. That being said, I'm so sorry you guys are in this position right now, I'm sure it's really disappointing. But keep checking multiple times a day, someone on that sailing is bound to cancel for something at the last minute and if they do, you can snag their spot. Maybe you can even book the cheapest guarantee cabin for that person, just to get them on the 

I've never personally been in this scenario though...when my TA said I could add the 4th at any time, I thought it meant just that. I've learned something new in a very sad way. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, twangster said:

Check back daily, people do cancel for a number of reasons.  With 6,000 guests involved, stuff happens to someone all the time.

Also, don't TAs release any unbooked cabins?  Or at this stage if does not apply.

Edited by nelblu

UPDATE: TA has been very communicative and said that it's a ship capacity issue (it's sold out). She told me when it's a muster station issue it's easier for them to accommodate because they can "move things around." No idea what that means, I'm just passing along info in case it helps someone else in the future. With that said she confirmed ANY cancelation would result in a spot opening up for him. She said she personally calls RCI at least 20x a day and will ask each time regarding this sailing.

Thank you for the context, empathy and clever ideas. I can't risk any more disappointment so I'm not gonna risk a rogue reservation although I appreciate the creativity. I'm going to ride this out and hope a spot opens. 

• Like 12

1 minute ago, GetToLivin said:

UPDATE: TA has been very communicative and said that it's a ship capacity issue (it's sold out). She told me when it's a muster station issue it's easier for them to accommodate because they can "move things around." No idea what that means, I'm just passing along info in case it helps someone else in the future. With that said she confirmed ANY cancelation would result in a spot opening up for him. She said she personally calls RCI at least 20x a day and will ask each time regarding this sailing.

Thank you for the context, empathy and clever ideas. I can't risk any more disappointment so I'm not gonna risk a rogue reservation although I appreciate the creativity. I'm going to ride this out and hope a spot opens. 

Good luck and hope for success.

• Thanks 1

So very happy for you. Hopefully everyone has learned a valuable lesson from your experience. I’ll never forget a situation some years ago - father decided to not book his 16 month old in advance to avoid shelling out the deposit money, figuring he could be added closer to sailing date. Yup, lifeboat capacity was full and he was unable to add the child. His wife was hysterical, especially since they had no one to leave the baby with and still take the cruise. 

• Like 3