Norovirus on Ventura?

davecttr

Just had an email from P&O. They are delaying the boarding times for Ventura on Thursday by 2.5 hours. Gastro Intestinal reports on the previous, current? cruise. i suppose it means a deep clean. My boarding time was 12.15 and is now 14.45 so no Peninsular lunch and I have to leave the hotel at noon. It is going to be chaotic and I think the revised boarding times may not be realistic. 😟

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Just had an email from P&O. They are delaying the boarding times for Ventura on Thursday by 2.5 hours. Gastro Intestinal reports on the previous, current? cruise. i suppose it means a deep clean. My boarding time was 12.15 and is now 14.45 so no Peninsular lunch and I have to leave the hotel at noon. It is going to be chaotic and I think the revised boarding times may not be realistic. 😟

Maybe worth contacting the Hotel and offer to pay for a later departure. This has been successful for me on a few occasions.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Maybe worth contacting the Hotel and offer to pay for a later departure. This has been successful for me on a few occasions.

The hotel only wants you to vacate your room, you should be free to use their lounge facilities, and even order a coffee and cake to keep you going until you board.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Rather concerning the amount of alleged norovirus cases cropping up now on two different ships☹️

It is concerning but not surprising, last year cases were up over 70% on the five year average, it was forecast that there would be several years of high incidence as people had reduced immune reactions due to not mixing due to covid, similar said about flu.

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The hotel only wants you to vacate your room, you should be free to use their lounge facilities, and even order a coffee and cake to keep you going until you board.

As I say on a few occasions having crossed palms with silver, I was able to remain in place.

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

Surely they will simply put the Peninsula embarkation lunch back as everybody is boarding later?  Or have they told you that it will be cancelled?

We're on the cruise after, I doubt they will be able to fully sort the noro issues, so may well be delayed boarding for us in a couple of weeks. 🤔

8 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Surely they will simply put the Peninsula embarkation lunch back as everybody is boarding later?  Or have they told you that it will be cancelled?

We're on the cruise after, I doubt they will be able to fully sort the noro issues, so may well be delayed boarding for us in a couple of weeks. 🤔

No word of cancellation but that lunch would turn into a very early dinner. I am thinking of avoiding the buffet which means the MDR which I don't particularly like. I have had Noro on at least 3 occasions and don't want to repeat the experience

• Like 3

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

No word of cancellation but that lunch would turn into a very early dinner. I am thinking of avoiding the buffet which means the MDR which I don't particularly like. I have had Noro on at least 3 occasions and don't want to repeat the experience

The other week when we were onboard Ventura  , I think it was around day ten that they put 

in the Horizon mag reminders about washing hands . 

To me, this could have been the heads up warning of things to come.

So from there on in the buffet was only used first thing in the morning but mainly we used 

the MDR for breakfast . Meals later were in the Glasshouse or even room service as they 

do a tasty beef ale pie .

Stay safe Dave and have a good cruise . 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Suspect the buffet may revert to staff served if this continues happening 

Given the number of people walking out of the bathrooms without any hand washing and those ignoring the hand gel, it would suit me nicely if they had staff service as a routine. 

• Like 14

I

1 hour ago, kalos said:

The other week when we were onboard Ventura  , I think it was around day ten that they put 

in the Horizon mag reminders about washing hands . 

To me, this could have been the heads up warning of things to come.

So from there on in the buffet was only used first thing in the morning but mainly we used 

the MDR for breakfast . Meals later were in the Glasshouse or even room service as they 

do a tasty beef ale pie .

Stay safe Dave and have a good cruise . 

As i have plenty of OBC the Glasshouse is a good idea as is room service. My remaining problem is I like playing Blackjack and it won't be just me touching the chips. There used to be a hand gel that killed noro type virus but it was found that if you bathed your hands daily for about 20 years in the active ingredient you stood a risk of getting skin cancer.

I am on freedom dining but the buffet will be OK in the morning because i am usually first or second in. I also wash my hands on arrival and take some of the paper towels to handle the serving utensils. i will also go to the supermarket at Southampton and buy some decaff tea bags to ensure a supply

• Like 4

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

As well as avoiding the buffet, I try to avoid thing like rolls - or toast at breakfast - that you have to eat with your hands, just in case somebody else with dirty hands has just handled the butter knife.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sandancer said:

Given the number of people walking out of the bathrooms without any hand washing and those ignoring the hand gel, it would suit me nicely if they had staff service as a routine. 

I never use the public toilets on a ship. While it I can be a pain to go back to the cabin it’s better than the alternative.

On a Fred cruise earlier this year when they had an outbreak of noro they closed all the public toilets and made everyone use their own for virtually the whole cruise.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I never use the public toilets on a ship. While it I can be a pain to go back to the cabin it’s better than the alternative.

On a Fred cruise earlier this year when they had an outbreak of noro they closed all the public toilets and made everyone use their own for virtually the whole cruise.

Same here. It’s a pain but def not as bad as Noro. Very sparing use of the buffet for us also. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

4 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

Me too. Use serviettes if I have to touch utensils 

We stuck to to both your safeguards as well ,also even though the captain advises "Use the handrails whilst moving around the ship ."   We try to avoid unless the ship is very rocky .

A few times we would sit in the Red Bar people watching and were amazed how many people would cough/sneeze into their hands then use the Atrium hand rails without a thought of what they had just done .Some ships staff too .

They had two guys giving the rails a rub down but not worth the risk .

• Like 1