New App is indeed coming for Princess

Host CJSKIDS

While it was announced the App would come out Dec. 1st, the other thread on this subject posted the announcement the release would be delayed. That thread is up to 5 pages now and could easily have been missed.

To me, this portends another wonky app. 

28 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

We've yet to use one but from what I read they can solve many problems without having to spend hours on the phone.

I got the name of mine from a friend and can say yes, they absolutely can. She straightened out my issue quickly when Princess was giving me the. Run around. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

I got the name of mine from a friend and can say yes, they absolutely can. She straightened out my issue quickly when Princess was giving me the. Run around. 

I would never book a cruise without my CVP!  She is a gem and I appreciate her help with booking, refaring or making any changes to existing bookings,  I’ve never had to wait on hold, never had the frustration of not understanding language or inexperienced agents.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

We've yet to use one but from what I read they can solve many problems without having to spend hours on the phone.

Same here. In the past I use the chat line or call Princess. However, things have changed after Covid and I hate “waiting”. We have a new CVP which is excellent and he was able to change our cruise cost and I haven’t booked with him yet. So from here on end, I’m booking with him. 

Edited by DHP1

22 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I’ve never had to wait on hold, never had the frustration of not understanding language or inexperienced agents.  

That's a big plus if all the CVP and speak clearly & comprehend your  problem. The last agent I had understood & could solve my problem, BUT understanding hew accent was a challenge to say the least.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Same here. In the past I use the chat line or call Princess. However, things have changed and I hate waiting.  We have a new CVP which is excellent and he was able to change our cruise cost. So from here on end I’m booking with him. 

We always book with a TA so I guess they're not a much help in certain situations. 

I've never had a problem getting through to Princess.... Maybe a 2 minute wait at most. 

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

That's a big plus if all the CVP and speak clearly & comprehend your  problem. The last agent I had understood & could solve my problem, BUT understanding hew accent was a challenge to say the least.  

That is exactly why I only book with my CVP.  She’s a Floridian and speaks English. I don’t need the frustration of using a regular rep.  Haven’t done that in years.

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

To me, this portends another wonky app. 

Or maybe the opposite - there is an issue that needs fixing before it is released so that it is not "wonky".

For the record I have not had any issues with the current app so I would not call it "wonky"

• Like 2

On 11/27/2023 at 8:51 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

Agree, and I hope they’ve also tested it for B2B cruisers, and have enabled one or more of the B2B cruises to be cancelled without throwing the whole reservation into chaos and requiring an hours long phone call to fix. There are a lot of cruisers doing B2B Caribbean cruises after the first of the year, and most of the problems we had with the existing app related to making changes to reservations. 

Actually, they should have given the beta to @Steelers36 to try to break. If it passed his scrutiny, I’d be 100% convinced it works. 

Thanks for the note.  Just getting to a reply today (I was in the penalty box).  I think I should get the new App when it is out and then make a mock booking and try it out and then cancel the booking.  Otherwise, I probably won't relate well to what will be discussed.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2023 at 6:40 PM, jayred1 said:

They have thousands of cruisers (their employees) on every cruise who could have been testing the new app the last couple of months.  Many companies beta test by setting up various scenarios and have a small number of employees attempt changes - in this case, make dinner/excursion reservations/changes on a secondary database.  This method also controls the dissemination of information about the app prior to release. Some of the ships' staff has likely been their beta testers.

Beta testing is ALWAYS done by end users (by definition), not employees.  Employees will be involved in integrated testing with scenario-based testing platforms.  Also, beta testers sign NDAs so if you aren't one, you may not know about others who are.

Edited by GHCruiser7

19 hours ago, david63 said:

For the record I have not had any issues with the current app so I would not call it "wonky"

Have you followed the three previous threads "Ocean Medallion App, Pt -?" ... each with thousands of replies?

I'm not sure a single data point is significant.

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2023 at 8:55 AM, mtnesterz said:

While it was announced the App would come out Dec. 1st, the other thread on this subject posted the announcement the release would be delayed.

Knock me over with a feather.

I am anxious to see if the "Global Experience Innovators" are still the authors.

2 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Knock me over with a feather.

I am anxious to see if the "Global Experience Innovators" are still the authors.

I think that's a bit of a toss-up...but I guess I lean toward the app being updated by the original dev team.  I would hope that Princess would not want to start from square one with a brand new team...unless that team has delivered a similar app for another line.  IDK!

38 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I think that's a bit of a toss-up...but I guess I lean toward the app being updated by the original dev team.  I would hope that Princess would not want to start from square one with a brand new team...unless that team has delivered a similar app for another line.  IDK!

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that it is an all new developer.  It just makes sense. The current daily fixes are not cost effective. The corrections are not free of charge once you do the acceptance test .  Start fresh with a new  well thought out control philosophy.

Former CEO, no but I did stay at a Holiday Inn.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Well, they did end their association with Accenture, so to some extent the people working now have to be new.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

I believe "GEI" is a Carnival group moniker and could still be in play

My observation: often when things go wrong, and they get a lot of negative publicity, companies like to change the name.

If I were cynical, I would say they do this to drop the negative reputation, with out having to change anything.

After the carnival triumph floated around the gulf of mexico for a few days with out power...

...Carnival changed the ship name.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/carnival-triumph-disaster-a-drama-of-discomfort/2013/02/15/021265f8-76e2-11e2-8f84-3e4b513b1a13_story.html

The ship is now the Carnival Sunrise.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

My observation: often when things go wrong, and they get a lot of negative publicity, companies like to change the name.

If I were cynical, I would say they do this to drop the negative reputation, with out having to change anything.

After the carnival triumph floated around the gulf of mexico for a few days with out power...

...Carnival changed the ship name.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/carnival-triumph-disaster-a-drama-of-discomfort/2013/02/15/021265f8-76e2-11e2-8f84-3e4b513b1a13_story.html

The ship is now the Carnival Sunrise.

They didn't change the name because of that incident.  Carnival changed the name of the Destiny to the Sunshine in 2013 following a major refit. Triumph underwent a similar refit in 2019.  Both came out as almost totally different ships thus the name change.

• Like 2