Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

45 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Someone should inform that person that prison cell doors cannot be opened from the inside.🙄

And room service with food choices in this prison!🙄 And use of private toilet and shower!🤣

I believe a couple of them are first time cruisers with very high expectations.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Arzeena said:

And room service with food choices in this prison!🙄 And use of private toilet and shower!🤣

I believe a couple of them are first time cruisers with very high expectations.

I remember back when I was a first time cruiser, everything beat my expectations.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

I remember back when I was a first time cruiser, everything beat my expectations.

I remember too. Everything was a WOW. It was on the Explorer of the Seas years ago.

I did not want to get out of that prison cell! I had to be dragged away with a future cruise confirmation in hand and promises of coming back.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

6 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

I remember too. Everything was a WOW. It was on the Explorer of the Seas years ago.

I did not want to get out of that prison cell! I had to be dragged away with a future cruise confirmation in hand and promises of coming back.

HAL 1981 out of NYC to Bermuda. Spent extra to get a cabin with a porthole. Two single beds bolted to the floor with just enough room between them for one of us to move at a time. Thought we had died and gone to heaven. One hit of that “prison cell” life and we were addicted to cruising. >100 cruises later and we are still like teenagers on a first date every time we board a cruise.

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

2 minutes ago, orville99 said:

HAL 1981 out of NYC to Bermuda. Spent extra to get a cabin with a porthole. Two single beds bolted to the floor with just enough room between them for one of us to move at a time. Thought we had died and gone to heaven. One hit of that “prison cell” life and we were addicted to cruising. >100 cruises later and we are still like teenagers on a first date every time we board a cruise.

Celebrity Horizon NYC to Bermuda for us. Next was RCI Explorer of the Seas as we just had to try one of those "mega" ships. The rest is history. Preparing to board a ship never gets old. I'm really excited for Odyssey in less than two weeks.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

And I even remember back on my first cruise (1980-Sitmar), there was no internet…hahaha

You couldn’t come to a message board and ask a million questions. It was all a surprise and you learned as you went. And somehow, us oldie but goodies survived.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, cruise1957 said:

Where are you in SE PA, our friends were up from the shore and he was out doing my driveway in shorts, DH has rotator cuff issues, I was shoveling around his truck so they didn't have to walk in the snow to get to it. We are in Southampton so it could be my house. He wears shorts so much it's weird to see him in long pants. I was shocked when we went to the yucky Eagles game on NYE that he was wearing long pants, but since we were going to be outside for 7 hours I get it. 

I'm west of Philly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taznremmy said:

@island lady Patricia, you will be happy to hear, I saw them pushing a cart with Kim Crawford SB on it 🎉🎉

Did you happen to notice if it had Pat and Bucky's cabin number on it? 😁

Edited by doghog
  • Haha 18

3 hours ago, crzndeb said:

And I even remember back on my first cruise (1980-Sitmar), there was no internet…hahaha

You couldn’t come to a message board and ask a million questions. It was all a surprise and you learned as you went. And somehow, us oldie but goodies survived.

1998 Sovereign of the Seas 3 night out of Miami, I couldn't believe a ship could be that big, loved it and cruise as often as we can, retired now so hoping we can up the frequency.

Edited by cruise1957
  • Like 5

I’m guessing some on the WC had done very little cruising and maybe expectations were wrong. 

We’ve done about 50 cruises. Every time we walk on board we are excited and the ship feels like a second home. In fact the sign on our cabin door says “ beach house” because that’s how we feel about a ship.  Some cruises are better than others but never are they bad.  

• Like 12

My husband was very interested in the LA to Dubai leg but he still works so we can't do it yet. But I have some questions and they are likely answered in this thread somewhere so I will go back and read it all. But here goes...

1) is everything included like bar drinks and the specialty dining? How do they let folks book the specialty...like everyone get 1 or 2 a week or do they not do them or are they extra? 

2) I did read past few pages and saw where someone went to grocery store and looks like they got 2 bottles of wine. So can you bring on booze and wine? I see they ran out of wine so I'd hope they allow you to get off and buy some to bring back. If bar is included then they won't care if you bring your own booze on. Right?

3) tipping...do these workers get paid more up front I hope. And then do you tip here and there, at the end? Additional tips? 

Thanks and thanks for sharing. Wish I had followed from the beginning cause now I have a lot of back reading to do.

Edited by laumicmah

On 1/22/2024 at 12:21 PM, island lady said:

We were in our little "private box" along the side.  😉  No one in front of us, but could see the main seating down front with all the little lighted boxes held up.  

I was referring to having no one behind us, plus I have a little dance floor and a pole to lean on. We also have a little end table

Edited by CSHS1979
  • Like 2

On 1/22/2024 at 1:49 PM, island lady said:

Egg drop competition...again.  This time not as well attended for a couple of reasons I suppose.  Had already had the first one, and the weather today was finally nice outside.  Many pax opting for being out in the sunshine we have not had for days.  Not to mention warmer now...if you consider 59 degrees warm.  😉  But with the sunshine and the cold windy days we had previously, it does feel warm.  

Winner was the largest entry at first place.  Big contraption!  I did not join this time, maybe next time...if there is one.  

Winner this cruise was same as last. He has gone last both times.

20240122_165103.thumb.jpg.aaad3220aef03ec81659a870e3c77522.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laumicmah said:

My husband was very interested in the LA to Dubai leg but he still works so we can't do it yet. But I have some questions and they are likely answered in this thread somewhere so I will go back and read it all. But here goes...

1) is everything included like bar drinks and the specialty dining? How do they let folks book the specialty...like everyone get 1 or 2 a week or do they not do them or are they extra? 

2) I did read past few pages and saw where someone went to grocery store and looks like they got 2 bottles of wine. So can you bring on booze and wine? I see they ran out of wine so I'd hope they allow you to get off and buy some to bring back. If bar is included then they won't care if you bring your own booze on. Right?

3) tipping...do these workers get paid more up front I hope. And then do you tip here and there, at the end? Additional tips? 

Thanks and thanks for sharing. Wish I had followed from the beginning cause now I have a lot of back reading to do.

We walked to the grocery store today, which is turnover day and the beginning of a new cruise.  On all Royal Caribbean cruises, you are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine onboard, per cabin on boarding day.  We are only onboard for 2 mini-segments and will be getting off in LA.  As a result, our regular cruise benefits apply.

Someone else can probably provide more information on the Full and Segment World Cruise benefits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, cruise1957 said:

Where are you in SE PA, our friends were up from the shore and he was out doing my driveway in shorts, DH has rotator cuff issues, I was shoveling around his truck so they didn't have to walk in the snow to get to it. We are in Southampton so it could be my house. He wears shorts so much it's weird to see him in long pants. I was shocked when we went to the yucky Eagles game on NYE that he was wearing long pants, but since we were going to be outside for 7 hours I get it. 

I grew up in Southampton, Burgundy Hills.   What area are you?

7 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Celebrity Horizon NYC to Bermuda for us. Next was RCI Explorer of the Seas as we just had to try one of those "mega" ships. The rest is history. Preparing to board a ship never gets old. I'm really excited for Odyssey in less than two weeks.

My parents took us on our first cruise on HAL Veendam from NYC yo Bermuda.   Loved everything about it.   Especially nice docking in Hamilton for 3 or 3.5 days. 

We were hooked.  The next summer we took my parents on the same cruise.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I grew up in Southampton, Burgundy Hills.   What area are you?

County Line and Gravel Hill Rd. My Sister-in-law is on Shallcross in Burgundy Hills. Where do you live now?

Edited by cruise1957
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cruise1957 said:

County Line and Gravel Hill Rd. My Sister-in-law is on Shallcross in Burgundy Hills. Where do you live now?

Yes, know the area very well.  I was on HiView and my DH was on Dennis.    Now, just outside of Buckingham near Peddlars Village.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, laumicmah said:

There are different rules for different bookings.

1.  Full UWC and full segment cruisers have the Deluxe Beverage Package, wifi, and gratuities included in their cruise fare.

1. Full UWC have 50% off specialty dining and full segment cruisers have 30% off specialty dining.

2. Full UWC can bring on all the wine they want at any port.

2. No liquor.  Wine only.

3. Gratuities are included for full UWC and full segment cruisers.  Mini-leg cruisers must pay standard gratuities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, orville99 said:

She will ultimately end up this leg of her journey in Ft. Lauderdale in February, then go through the canal on her way to Alaska for the summer.  BTW, RCL will be taking delivery of another Silver Sea ship (the Silver Ray) this year from MW in Germany.

Thanks!  Beautiful ship indeed...could not get a picture of her.  Bucky and I already discussing booking with Silver Seas now.  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, taznremmy said:

@island lady Patricia, you will be happy to hear, I saw them pushing a cart with Kim Crawford SB on it 🎉🎉

LOL...yup.  I was shocked at how much they ended up taking on.  They were still loading well after supposed sail away time.  And was most happy to enjoy the Kim Crawford again last night.  🤗

• Like 2