Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

2 minutes ago, ringers0815 said:

We stayed in Hilo or just around it. We went to see the waterfall, the gardens and the various parks and beaches in and around Hilo.

Your photos are beautiful!  Thanks for posting and sharing your trip!

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

I did mean to say March, you are correct.  It was Friday, March 13th, 2020 exactly.  We remember because it was Friday the 13th around 5 or 6 pm, and we were in the Detroit airport about to board our plane to Florida when Trump made the announcement and the RCCL email came moments later that the cruise departing the next day.

We were getting off Allure in Barcelona that day. Mad scramble to find acceptable flights home

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a different question about Serenade: Is this space on deck 12 port side aft with the sport equipment or whatever in use again? It has been just kind of a storrage space for years but could be a nice spot for something better!

I'm not sure if I should have done this, but I needed to vent. I've just emailed the following to M Bayley:

Hello,

I am writing as a loyal but disillusioned Royal Caribbean cruiser.

I have had the Dubai to Athens segment of the UWC booked for some considerable time, even getting the stateroom I really wanted.

It has long been apparent that the Middle East itinerary was no longer viable, so I waited with baited breath to find out where we would be going instead. Flight to Dubai for two is booked, as are the (non refundable) 4 nights pre cruise hotel.

Imagine my (and hundreds of others in the same situation) disappointment when an email came through giving me the stark choice of rebooking a different cruise (there are none suitable) with no more than $100 OBC or a full refund.

So we're left high and dry in Dubai. The uncertainty exacerbated and prolonged by the baffling and pointless decision to draw it out by another 11 days before letting your more important cruisers vote on the new itinerary (let's not kid ourselves, it will be option 1). So Dubai to Cape Town will be the same 18 nights as Dubai to Athens was.

When my TA contacted RCI (UK), she was met with a wall of denial that Pravda would be proud of, both from the agent and then the supervisor. Rebook or refund, there is no other option. There will not be a RC cruise leaving Dubai on the 9th May. Even when my TA pointed out that it's part of a world cruise and RC are unlikely to let Serenade sail half full, the denial continued. 

Now, we're not silly. We know RC is all about the $$. We know the new cruise can and will be repackaged and remarketed at a higher asking price than I paid for the Middle East.

I don't mind that. What irks me and many others, is the unceremonious dumping of us and our custom. Why not give us first refusal on the new segment, allowing us, if we want, to keep the stateroom we had booked? Instead, should the new segment come up for sale, we'll be involved in a massive bun fight for  what will be a very popular cruise. A random and unfair fight to get THE CRUISE SHIP AND STATEROOM THAT WE HAD ALREADY BOOKED. 

I can envisage a scenario where we can see Serenade docked from our hotel window, knowing that we won't be boarding it. If that happens, then needless to say, our long and happy relationship with Royal Caribbean will have come to a sad end.

• Like 24

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

A bit of patience might save you from that venting. 

Hi Biker19,

I know what you mean, but I can only react to things as they stand at the present time and RC's intransigence needs to be challenged.

With only two and a half months to go, a bit of certainty would be appreciated, then there would be no need to vent.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Tatra603 said:

I'm not sure if I should have done this, but I needed to vent. I've just emailed the following to M Bayley:

Hello,

I have had the Dubai to Athens segment of the UWC booked for some considerable time, even getting the stateroom I really wanted.

It has long been apparent that the Middle East itinerary was no longer viable, so I waited with baited breath to find out where we would be going instead. Flight to Dubai for two is booked, as are the (non refundable) 4 nights pre cruise hotel.

Imagine my (and hundreds of others in the same situation) disappointment when an email came through giving me the stark choice of rebooking a different cruise (there are none suitable) with no more than $100 OBC or a full refund.

So we're left high and dry in Dubai. The uncertainty exacerbated and prolonged by the baffling and pointless decision to draw it out by another 11 days before letting your more important cruisers vote on the new itinerary (let's not kid ourselves, it will be option 1). So Dubai to Cape Town will be the same 18 nights as Dubai to Athens was.

When my TA contacted RCI (UK), she was met with a wall of denial that Pravda would be proud of, both from the agent and then the supervisor. Rebook or refund, there is no other option. There will not be a RC cruise leaving Dubai on the 9th May. Even when my TA pointed out that it's part of a world cruise and RC are unlikely to let Serenade sail half full, the denial continued. 

Now, we're not silly. We know RC is all about the $$. We know the new cruise can and will be repackaged and remarketed at a higher asking price than I paid for the Middle East.

I don't mind that. What irks me and many others, is the unceremonious dumping of us and our custom. Why not give us first refusal on the new segment, allowing us, if we want, to keep the stateroom we had booked? Instead, should the new segment come up for sale, we'll be involved in a massive bun fight for  what will be a very popular cruise. A random and unfair fight to get THE CRUISE SHIP AND STATEROOM THAT WE HAD ALREADY BOOKED. 

I can envisage a scenario where we can see Serenade docked from our hotel window, knowing that we won't be boarding it. If that happens, then needless to say, our long and happy relationship with Royal Caribbean will have come to a sad end.

I think you've done the best thing, I would probably have done the same. Even if it gets you nowhere you've lost nothing. 

Hope you get the resolution you want (especially as something similar could happen to all of us due to be on Anthem in October).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tatra603 said:

I know what you mean, but I can only react to things as they stand at the present time and RC's intransigence needs to be challenged.

You need to realize the “norm” for RCI in situations like this - the RCI CSRs are reading from a script and no amount of venting usually changes that. RCI is still selling the original Dubai leg on their web site. The rerouting and options for customers is still being worked out. Again, give them a chance to work things out - or not. 

8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You need to realize the “norm” for RCI in situations like this - the RCI CSRs are reading from a script and no amount of venting usually changes that. RCI is still selling the original Dubai leg on their web site. The rerouting and options for customers is still being worked out. Again, give them a chance to work things out - or not. 

Fair enough, but I'm just seeking some clarity and I don't think that's unreasonable.

If they were going to give us mini segmenters 'first dibs' on the new itinerary, I'm thinking they would have at least intimated as much.

If they haven't yet decided, then my email and hopefully others saying similar can do no harm.

The utterly pointless 11 day delay before deciding just makes the situation worse.

Edited by Tatra603
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

But they were quick enough to send out the cancellation letters to the mini cruisers.  They've obviously been working on this for some time, maybe they could of put a little bit more thought into the original  cruisers and their plight.  Why upset them needlessly if they are going to offer them the DXB-CPT in a couple of weeks?  

My thoughts is it will be at a much higher fare and they are trying to monetize the situation at the expense of their existing customers.  Not a good look 😕 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 11

19 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Why upset them needlessly if they are going to offer them the DXB-CPT in a couple of weeks?  

My thoughts is it will be at a much higher fare and they are trying to monetize the situation at the expense of their existing customers.

What I do not understand is that at least one cruiser who was booked on multiple affected mini sailings did receive an offer to sail the African itinerary - see post 3979.

Best of luck @Tatra603, keep us updated how things go. 🙂 

To those currently onboard, let this not discourage you from continuing to document your journey around the world 😁.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Anyone else think that rerouting discussions should have a separate thread, not to detract from those posting from on the ship?  

I did think of this, but decided that given the title of this thread, it was wholly relevant.

I don't wish it to distract from the ship postings, which I am very much enjoying. But there's no reason why this subject shouldn't exist alongside.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Anyone else think that rerouting discussions should have a separate thread, not to detract from those posting from on the ship?  

No  need  for another thread, by the end of the month the rerouting discussion will be over.

Plus right now this part of the itinerary has a lot of sea days and down time on the ship anyway. Port days don't really pick up until the middle of March  and the month of April.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Tatra603 said:

Hello,

Also send that same email to this address: It's the executive offices at Royal.

They usually get back to you pretty quick  with replies on any issues I have had in the past.

ex-co@rccl.com

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Also send that same email to this address: It's the executive offices at Royal.

I usually get pretty quick replies on any issues I have had in the past.

ex-co@rccl.com

Thanks Jimbo

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

No  need  for another thread, by the end of the month the rerouting discussion will be over.

Plus right now this part of the itinerary has a lot of sea days and down time on the ship anyway. Port days don't really pick up until the middle of March  and the month of April.

Just my opinion.

I agree with you.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, taznremmy said:

Sadly, I got off in Los Angeles.  I will rejoin in Amsterdam.

See you then!  🙂   Already looking forward to reboarding in Barcelona. 🥰

Really enjoyed meeting you on the ship.  Probably seems strange with you, Bucky, and I not occupying our regular seats in the MDR now.  😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 3