Navigator....and what happened to the grand old days of cruising?

20 minutes ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We were 2-1/2 hours late coming back from Paris on a Royal excursion and they waited for us.

Good to know!

I've always wondered what the cutoff point is. I suppose it has to do with where the ship has to go to next.

15 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Good to know!

I've always wondered what the cutoff point is. I suppose it has to do with where the ship has to go to next.

They will wait for you (if at all possible) if you are on a Royal Caribbean excursion, because they are in constant communication with the tour operator. 

Generally, although someone has posted otherwise about a private excursion in Italy, recently. If you are on a private excursion or wander about. The ship has no idea where you are. And will generally not wait for very long for you to return. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coralc said:

They will wait for you (if at all possible) if you are on a Royal Caribbean excursion, because they are in constant communication with the tour operator. 

Generally, although someone has posted otherwise about a private excursion in Italy, recently. If you are on a private excursion or wander about. The ship has no idea where you are. And will generally not wait for very long for you to return. 

Agreed! I was just pointing out that if the delay gets to be too excessive, then they have the option of leaving without you and getting you to the next port. Of course if the next port is the end of the cruise then oh well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Actually they will wait up to a point. If there is an excessive delay, then they will arrange for you to join the ship at a later port at Royal's expense. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-the-ship-wait-for-guests-on-a-shore-excursion#:~:text=When you book a shore,at no expense to you

37 minutes ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We were 2-1/2 hours late coming back from Paris on a Royal excursion and they waited for us.

I can see having the ship wait or transferring you to the next port is a really big deal for some cruisers.  Kind of like paying that extra premium to have the insurance built into the excursion.  The more we cruise the more we’re willing to take that risk but I really can’t imagine the stress and hassle of left at port and having to figure it out on our own.  It’s why we’re so careful when we head out on our own

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Coralc said:

Unfortunately, we learned that on our second cruise. If there is a problem on the ship you need to address it with the persons that have responsibility for the problem while you are on the cruise. The ship or corporate seem to have little interest in correcting things after the fact. ☺️

Coralc...thank you! :classic_smile:

This is an extremely valuable advise, and perhaps the most  important lesson we learned as well. 

* When addressing a problem, I do it politely.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Coralc...thank you! :classic_smile:

This is an extremely valuable advise, and perhaps the most  important lesson we learned as well. 

* When addressing a problem, I do it politely.

We didn't realize it at the time, either, @bonsai3s But the cruise line fulfilled their contract, they gave us a cruise. There is no interest in doing anything after the fact. Learning experience. ☺️ We are polite but thought the same thing as the OP.  We thought, "Oh we will just work it out when we get home." .....Doesn't work. You have to address it onboard. 

LOL. We even wrote to Kathie Lee Gifford. 😀 Long time ago.

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Add another...

Elimination of the paper Daily Compass (we still ask our room steward to bring them daily and it's been granted)

I'd rather peruse the next days events and circle things, highlight things, etc... on paper rather than looking at my cell phone screen.

Although I also used to prefer the paper daily compass, now I accept the digital form, because I think is environmental friendly. I do not request that my towels are changed daily either.

To avoid food waste, we do not accept the bread basket that they try to put on our table at the MDR. 

By the way, we do this in all cruise lines we sail with. Not only on Royal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Agreed! I was just pointing out that if the delay gets to be too excessive, then they have the option of leaving without you and getting you to the next port. Of course if the next port is the end of the cruise then oh well.

On a cruise with Azamara, we took a ship’s excursion to St. Margarita in the Mediterranean. It was a tender port. From there we were supposed to go to Portofino as part of the excursion. Sea conditions changed and a storm developed suddenly. The ship had to move to Genoa to dock there since the transfer per tenders was too dangerous. Since we were on an Azamara excursion, everything was taken care off for us. We were taken for lunch (not a good lunch but nevertheless), we did not go to Portofino, but we were taken by bus to Genoa to board our ship. I am glad we were on a ship’s excursion. I am not sure how independent guests handled this situation.

And we did get a discount of the excursion price afterwards.

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 2

Wow, reading everyone's (especially Bonsai3) memories of what we received back in the good old days reminds me of how good those days were. I also remember there was at least one sea day when the MDR served "afternoon/high" tea. One doesn't tend to notice all of these accumulated losses over time...sort of like a frog in a slowly boiling pot of water.

But it is true that the cruise prices itself have remained steady over the years so at least we get to experience a cruise even if the service offerings are less than way back when.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 9:36 AM, Ocean Boy said:

I remember when the specialty restaurants were first introduced, the "nominal" charge was stated to be the gratuity for eating there. At least that is what RCI's spokeswoman used to say on the Travel Channel.... back when that channel actually had something to do with travelling.

Thats what I remember too, that the very nominal charge was gratuity. 

• Like 3

I know my opinion won’t be popular among the frequent cruisers, but here goes.  

Royal is after the first time cruiser family.  Those families don’t know what all of you used to experience on their ships.   They look at the slides and other entertainment options and they’re in love.  

For those of you who are D+ or P, yes service has been reduced.  So has the quality of the food. Royal is gifting you several free drinks per day. I know many claim to have “earned” those drinks.   That’s your choice to believe that.  Most loyalty programs have changed drastically as of late.   Is Royal concerned about losing your business?  Not really.  Ships are sailing at mostly full capacity.  If you decide to take your discounted business, with many freebies elsewhere, they’ll  just replace you with a family paying full price and purchasing drink packages.  

i always wonder how many of the posters here who claim they’re never cruising again because of some freebie cutback have actually stopped cruising.  

I think it’s better to enjoy whatever type of vacation you’ve chosen.  

• Like 7

15 hours ago, nimbex1970 said:

Oh I do miss those midnight buffets with the carvings and late-night parties on deck as well.

I didn't care for the midnight buffet.  Those carvings were things they brought in/out of the freezer and were most definitely re-used every week (or even multiple times per week), while fresh food was piled around them.  Kinda icky, in fact.  

14 hours ago, cruiserchris2009 said:

so I ended up going with the option that was perceived to be easier/safer.

Key phrase being "perceived to be easier/safer".  

In reality, a private excursion is almost always smaller, and you get more choices /more personal attention.  

13 hours ago, Denversail said:

Do they?

The cruise ship does not promise they will wait for YOU if you take a ship's excursion.  They promise they'll wait for the EXCURSION to finish.  People who are left behind are rarely on excursions; no, they're usually drinking or shopping within the shadow of the ship, thinking they have all the time in the world.  If the excursion has finished up (and most finish HOURS before the ship sails), but you personally are still shopping at the port, they'll leave you.  

This is a fear that's been exacerbated by the internet.  New cruisers can easily get the idea that "Pier Runners" are a common thing and people are left behind at every port.  Truthfully, that's only true on You Tube.  My husband likes to go to Deck 4 and watch for Pier Runners -- we haven't seen anyone even running late since we "returned to cruising" after the pandemic.  

In reality, most people go on excursions in the morning and return to the ship in time for a late lunch or mid-afternoon at least.  Since the ship typically sails (typically, not always) between 4:00 and 6:00, few people are even straggling behind.  

Now, if you're taking an all-day excursion /going some distance, it makes sense to go with the cruise line ... but if you're just going a few miles from the port for a morning excursion, you're really in no "danger" by going with a private excursion.  

1 hour ago, BlackForest said:

I also remember there was at least one sea day when the MDR served "afternoon/high" tea.

I've only sailed Disney and Royal Caribbean, but I've been cruising since 2004, and I've never known of this.  What ships offered it?  

8 minutes ago, Snowbird_in_training said:

i always wonder how many of the posters here who claim they’re never cruising again because of some freebie cutback have actually stopped cruising.  

I, too, wonder about people who declare they're DONE with cruising ... yet continue to frequent a cruising board.  Makes no sense. 

I no longer have babies; I no longer frequent mom's support boards. 

I am retired; I no longer read "How to prepare for retirement" boards.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Snowbird_in_training said:

Is Royal concerned about losing your business?  Not really.  Ships are sailing at mostly full capacity.  

Agree with most of what you said but this particular part is flawed.  Most ships now sail with a high percentage of guests in the Diamond and above categories.  If it wasn't for these loyal cruisers the story would look very different as far as such high demand.  Royal very much appreciates and needs the loyal cruisers.

25 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I've only sailed Disney and Royal Caribbean, but I've been cruising since 2004, and I've never known of this.  What ships offered it?  

Agree.  Maybe some mixed memories.  Pretty sure it happens(ed) on other cruise lines (Princess and Holland for instance), not Royal.  I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Snowbird_in_training said:

I know my opinion won’t be popular among the frequent cruisers, but here goes.  

Royal is after the first time cruiser family.  Those families don’t know what all of you used to experience on their ships.   They look at the slides and other entertainment options and they’re in love.  

For those of you who are D+ or P, yes service has been reduced.  So has the quality of the food. Royal is gifting you several free drinks per day. I know many claim to have “earned” those drinks.   That’s your choice to believe that.  Most loyalty programs have changed drastically as of late.   Is Royal concerned about losing your business?  Not really.  Ships are sailing at mostly full capacity.  If you decide to take your discounted business, with many freebies elsewhere, they’ll  just replace you with a family paying full price and purchasing drink packages.  

I think it’s better to enjoy whatever type of vacation you’ve chosen.  

Agree. We share your sentiments...we accept and understand this reality.

* And to add...there are many old cruisers who simply stopped cruising for a number of reasons...most simply die.

Just to give some perspective:  the poo-ing on the pool deck is something I have NEVER seen in 50 years.  But, I had my son do that at age 2 at a soccer game................the other parents thought it was hysterical.  I did NOT walk away from it.

The one thing about life I expect is that things will change.  So, I find my own ways to adapt, and see if I can still enjoy what has changed.  I've started tracking the Unlimited Dining Package for all my cruises.  I may not continue, because I'm finding the quality of food in the MDR is improving after the monumental screw-up from the menu changes last January.  Windjammer is improving slightly, too.  I have found the UDiningP to be as low as $17 average per meal, accounting for all available lunch and dinner reservations. $166 extra for my Sisters' Cruise next September is acceptable to me, and keeps my picky sister happy.

I was talking to someone yesterday taking the little golf cart tram back to the ship in Nassau:  she and I agreed we LIKE only getting cabin service once a day and in the evening.  This way we have the ENTIRE day to do what we want on our own schedule.

Edited by pcur

(I can’t figure out how to quote anything, I’m not a frequent poster)

I can understand Royal needing the loyal cruisers in slow season, when it seems most of the higher loyalty class cruises.  I still think they’re making the most money from the newer cruise families. 

When it comes to the higher loyalty class jumping ship for another cruise line, I’m sure some have.  Royal’s product is not for everyone.  But for those claiming they’re leaving because of a recent change, they’ve gone through tons of changes already.   Midnight buffets, MDR experience that really could compare to fine dining.   For something now to trigger them to leave might suggest they’ve just tired of cruising.  It happens.  

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

......New cruisers can easily get the idea that "Pier Runners" are a common thing and people are left behind at every port.  Truthfully, that's only true on You Tube.  My husband likes to go to Deck 4 and watch for Pier Runners -- we haven't seen anyone even running late since we "returned to cruising" after the pandemic.....  

I sure have. Just on this cruise last week with the OP on Navigator.  There was a pier runner in Puerto Vallarta who we saw from our balcony as did many other passengers we all clapped when they made it just when they were getting ready to close the gangway. That was really cutting it close!!!

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

I sure have. Just on this cruise last week with the OP on Navigator.  There was a pier runner in Puerto Vallarta who we saw from our balcony as did many other passengers we all clapped when they made it just when they were getting ready to close the gangway. That was really cutting it close!!!

Good entertainment. 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Maybe it should also be noticed that many old RC loyalists have moved to other cruise lines when they were not satisfied anymore. Not that Royal cares about it. As long as they are selling well who cares if guests are or not disappointed. 

These many old loyalists are replaced by just as many new loyalists because the new loyalists are amazed and wowed by all the new features the oldies don't care for. That the way society works it's called progress. 

The same reason oldies can't understand how young ones like the music they do or The fashion. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1