Messi for Icon of the Seas

Super exciting announcement today as one of the top soccer players of all time on the planet is named the ICON for ICON of the Seas !  
⬆️ Michael Bayley’s announcement 📣 

The Icon of Vacations meets the greatest icon in all of sports. Introducing the Icon of #IconoftheSeas — international fútbol ️ star Lionel Messi.
Save the date: our most monumental naming ceremony ever happens on Jan. 23, 2024.

Now waiting for all the Americans to say they have never heard of him 🤦‍♀️

Edited by little britain
  • Haha 3

I’m American and I have definitely heard of him.  Since he’s now playing in Miami it makes sense.  RC has their logo on some non-player kits in the EPL, maybe a team staff group - I don’t remember exactly but I remember seeing it.  And I believe they are a corporate sponsor for the Miami MLS team.  Football (or soccer as it’s known here) is a great sport.

46 minutes ago, little britain said:

Now waiting for all the Americans to say they have never heard of him

MLS and Apple are doing everything in their power to fix that. Whether or not they're going about it the right way is debatable.

I'm all for promoting the sport I love (see my avatar) and this should help MLS in theory... but letting Inter Miami circumvent the salary rules to do so is a joke. Yes, I'm a somewhat biased Orlando City supporter but I'm not alone in my opinion.

Just to get back on topic... not sure what this does for Royal but more power to them.

54 minutes ago, little britain said:

Super exciting announcement today as one of the top soccer players of all time on the planet is named the ICON for ICON of the Seas !  

The Icon of Vacations meets the greatest icon in all of sports. Introducing the Icon of #IconoftheSeas — international fútbol ️ star Lionel Messi.
Save the date: our most monumental naming ceremony ever happens on Jan. 23, 2024.

I think you'll find many more Americans than you'd expect know who Messi is - led by our soccer (football) playing kids and grandkids.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, little britain said:

So, is he officially the Godfather of the Icon and will he be sailing on the Icon at various times.

2 hours ago, little britain said:

Almost all boys and girls in US are playing soccer as their first sport from 5-6 yo.

Well.. it was a case since mid 90-s when we moved to US.

My son could not make high school team by  2000-x and he was playing recreational soccer (football)

Soccer is probably #5 sports overall (tough competition I'd say), but kids and now adults know now.

Mind you... this ship ICON is sailing in US probably due to high US demand and willingness to pay... 😉

Edited by Tatka

19 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Hopefully that will coincide with lower prices for Icon. 2024 prices are ridiculous 

They must be planning to re-deploy Icon outside of the US where it's godfather is more recognized.  Maybe then prices will come down.  LOL.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RD64 said:

Who has not heard of Messi? How is that even possible?

Comments on other media:

Who

Never heard of her

Blah! I could give 2 sh$ts about soccer. I actually had to look into who he is.

is that the best that they can do?

No clue who that is.

This is very underwhelming.  Am I the only one that is disappointed?

And I do find it ironic that even the RCI official announcement can’t spell “football” properly

• Haha 1

He's been at the top of the game for 20 years!  You'd really have to live under a rock to not have ever heard of him.  My boys started wearing his jersey in 2010 or so.  And that's saying a lot living in a city that worships it's "real" football team! 🏈😊

@littlebritain

My daughter, OTOH, would proudly wear a Rachel Daly kit,  from her days with the Houston team here in the States! We do know a thing or two about this other football.  😉

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea
  • Like 3

My daughter is pretty darn thrilled to hear the Messi announcement! 

This is arrival in Port Canaveral the other day on Anthem.  She insisted on wearing her Messi jersey as this was the closest we were going to be to Miami on this cruise 😅

20231212_112714.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, topanga49er said:

I think it was a no brainer esp bc Icon is sailing out of Miami!  Like the idea of a "godfather"; is that a first for Royal?

As a single individual, it appears the answer is yes. At least for the Royal Caribbean brand. I did not look up Celebrity.

After 9/11, Adventure had 4 Godparents, a man and a woman from each FDNY and NYPD.

Symphony was billed as the first "God Family", Alexa, Carlos, and their son Ocean (17mo at the time) PenaVega. Alexa and Carlos are actors. They shot the 2018 Hallmark movie Love at Sea on Harmony. And if you're still saying "who?", Alexa was in the Spy Kids movies.

Spectrum had Godparents Angelababy and Huang Xiaoming (since it was designated for the Chinese market).

Sources:

https://cruiseaddicts.com/royal-caribbean-ships-by-age-newest-to-oldest/

(this has Navigator wrong, as it's the same list as Adventure)

and this old CC Thread (has Navigator correct, but ends in 2009 with Liberty):

Edited by RobInMN