Getting Diamond Status

tvo7

My dream in life is to get diamond status.

My main way of doing it will be doing 4 night cruises out of Galveston multiple times. 

My debate is

1. do interior room alone and get 2 points per night.

2. do junior suite alone and get 3 points per night.  

Anyone have experience on which is better way to do it?

2 hours ago, tvo7 said:

My main way of doing it will be doing 4 night cruises out of Galveston multiple times. 

My debate is

Better to do it with someone else 🙂

2 hours ago, tvo7 said:

My debate is

Why is this your dream? Just to do more 4 nighters out of Galveston with four free drinks per day?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, tvo7 said:

My debate is

Option 1 may take a bit longer but it’ll probably be a lot cheaper.

5 hours ago, tvo7 said:

My debate is

isn't it 1 pt a night for balcony and under and 2 points for js and above?

New D+ here.  People on here who have a lot of points forget the feeling of attaining Diamond and above.  I did my points with insides but sailed on 5 transatlantics which really helped.  We did our work on seadays pre Starlink which was interesting.  It will be tough to do so with 4 day cruises unless b2b and suites.  It's actually much cheaper the transatlantic way imo, plus a diversity of ports.  

How many points do you have?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tvo7 said:

My debate is

Often the 7 night is cheaper as harmony has lots of inside balconys. This week for me a inside was $16 more than a central park balcony though $50 more obc. The early booking bonus in my case wasnt combinable with a discount on a balcony. Even platinum gets a balcony bonus, not many pts.

Find a ta with cheaper group rates. 

Why 4 days. Often as a per day the 5 day is cheaper. I pushed for pts as a solo last year in may when grandeur came to texas. I needed 18 pts. I did 5 5 5 4. It was cheaper to do 19.

Do the Math. Why other people should calculate it for you? 🙂 

If I were you I’d try to enjoy your cruises while you are on this honorable mission. Buy drinks, photo etc and you feel like a Diamond instantly!

Remember when you are a real Diamond like some of us you will start chasing another dream of your life … being Diamond Plus… because it’s a Diamond of higher quality. 

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Do the Math. Why other people should calculate it for you? 🙂 

If I were you I’d try to enjoy your cruises while you are on this honorable mission. Buy drinks, photo etc and you feel like a Diamond instantly!

Remember when you are a real Diamond like some of us you will start chasing another dream of your life … being Diamond Plus… because it’s a Diamond of higher quality. 

Some people have different aspirations and dreams.  Doesn't mean they are less important.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Some people have different aspirations and dreams.  Doesn't mean they are less important.

Don’t rush to conclusions.

They are very important!
This is why I share experience and recommend how their dreams can be achieved sooner! Not real status, but similar enjoyment. And what is a real status anyway? 

Don’t thank me. It’s my pleasure.

Edited by Tatka

And just for the record. We are not Loyal to Royal.

We sailed with 8 lines and with some (Princess, Celebrity, NCL) even after we achieved this noble status… but in a process we discovered that Royal is the best combination of everything (including number of ships and variety of itineraries) for us.

The reason I want to do 4 nights is because I own my own business and I do not feel comfortable staying away for so long at a time.

I will be working on the ship all days I am on there and have 22 points right now.  

I was looking at beat cost efficiency of getting to diamond.  Of course, once I reach diamond, I am going to dream of getting to pinnacle and have bragging rights on the cruise when they announce all the pinnacles on board. I think of it as a bucket list challenge.

The main benefit I like of diamond is getting inside the diamond lounge and feel.special in there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I personally am doing a 4 night cruise a month (occasionally a 5 night if friends call). I use to sail in only balconies and above  but as a solo traveler I dont need the extra space. I understand setting a goal as some of us are goal oriented.. I set 340 as a goal as thats when they reduce the single supplement. Will hit it in march.... then will shoot for 500  cause why not... lol.

If you goal is diamond  go for it.. hitting goals is great but the trip to get there is even better. Enjoy your travels

Rick

• Like 1

Its a simple math problem.  Figure out the cost per point.  I'm making up numbers, but if a solo interior cabin for four days costs you $800, and gets you 8 points, thats $100/point.

And if a JS costs you $1500, and gets you 12 points, that's $125/point.  Looking at just financial, the interior is better.  Only you can decide if the added JS amenities are worth paying more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tvo7 said:

The main benefit I like of diamond is getting inside the diamond lounge and feel.special in there

Are you joking? If not…

They recently re-named the Diamond Lounges to Crown Lounges, so there may literally be writing on the wall about those lounges).  D’s are already being excluded from the Crown lounges during cocktail hour on some sailings; this may increase as the number of loyalty members increases.  The lounges are not especially large compared to the number of D, D+ and PC members on board most cruises.  Depending when you enter, you may have trouble finding nice seating; you may not feel all that special.  Some lounges are in nice locations, but on most of the newer ships the Crown Lounges are windowless room in less desirable areas.  

The four drink vouchers are are a nice D benefit.  The balcony discount can be nice, too.  

I suggest people cruise for the joy of cruising.  The points will accumulate naturally.  That way if the loyalty program changes in the future you don’t feel as though you spend money just to earn loyalty status that no longer gives you the specific rewards you hoped for.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

FYI - On some cruises, Diamond are banned from the Crown Lounge (former Diamond Lounge) during happy hour (normally 5 PM to 8 PM).

Out of curiosity, what if one was in there at like 4:30 and just stayed? Would they notice them and ask them to leave?

5 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

The balcony discount can be nice, too.

The balcony discount rarely appears any more because they are offering other pseudo discounts (like a "discount" applied for booking an NRD fare) that exceeds the balcony discount amount.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jenna said:

Out of curiosity, what if one was in there at like 4:30 and just stayed? Would they notice them and ask them to leave?

I have no idea.  I've only been on one cruise (Anthem) since the name change and on that cruise D were not banned.  Plus, there was overflow into the adjacent Music Hall.

1 hour ago, tvo7 said:

The main benefit I like of diamond is getting inside the diamond lounge and feel.special in there.

To each his own. If you think that will make you feel special and bring you happiness, go for it!

FWIW, I love making use of the lounge for multiple cappuccinos every morning and I do enjoy popping in to check out the snacks most nights... but I don't feel special when I'm in there.

I'm very much looking forward to turning D+ after our next cruise but that's just because I will make use of the extra vouchers, internet, BOGO dinners, and possibly the free laundry. I couldn't care less about any status aspect of it.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jenna said:

You can even sneak in by teaming up with a Diamond+ while nobody sees. They don’t usually have cruise police by the door. 😉

What are you looking for inside of this lounge? 

Edited by Tatka