Surcharges for drinks in Retreat Lounge

TrueCruiseaholic

PPS, don't get me started on Premium Coffee for which X does not have machines in MDR,so if pushed they will send a server to El Bacio to get it. Just get me a quaity thermos filled with the  hot coffee I like (actually not a bad idea).

Premium coffee used to be on non alcoholic package too. Just can't  easily get it in MDR. Great idea to sell something you will not serve to themajority of diners (the MDRs still serve the majority of those on board correct? )

People, we are not much in the way of wine drinkers. I drink beer and wife drinks cocktails on cruises. So, while I do understand wine drinker’s anger over pricing favorite wines over Premium package limits , my personal concern is what beers and cocktails (if any) have been ‘surcharged” over premium package..I asked this before, but didn’t see a comprehensive answer. So I ask, does this mess of pricing popular wines oner premium limits go to wine only, or does it impact beers and cocktails  as well ?..

29 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

People, we are not much in the way of wine drinkers. I drink beer and wife drinks cocktails on cruises. So, while I do understand wine drinker’s anger over pricing favorite wines over Premium package limits , my personal concern is what beers and cocktails (if any) have been ‘surcharged” over premium package..I asked this before, but didn’t see a comprehensive answer. So I ask, does this mess of pricing popular wines oner premium limits go to wine only, or does it impact beers and cocktails  as well ?..

Until I can confirm on a cruise in 4 weeks. Woodford Whiskey, on premium  is on a $2.40 surcharge.

Since X is not good on communicating on whats what with these packages, and X has been vague abou it for years, so X is experienced on it.

I discovered Aperol Spritz in a vacation to Greece and Italy this past spring and most of those were $10 or less but it's on premium package: hopefully not a surcharge.  We just came home from a Mexican dinner where a frozen Margarita is 10 a person-plus tax and tip. . I think thats premium on X (so be sure they used premium products). 

I think X is moving to one package anyway. And anything  upscale will be extra so we wil be signing chits whenever we are on board.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they do spring a third level.  Classic, premium, and deluxe.  They just might be testing the waters to see how many are willing to pay an upcharge.  Then give deluxe to upper suites and premium to junior suites with an option to buy up.  I doubt they're through fiddling with sky suites.

Edit:  I noticed sky suites were significantly reduced on 2025 TAs where they were also referred to as Junior Suites.  I'm sure there won't be an advance announcement either, just like butlers.

Edited by goofysmom99

2 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Martinis are $17 at Martini Bar.  No upcharge.

1 hour ago, goofysmom99 said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they do spring a third level.  Classic, premium, and deluxe.  They just might be testing the waters to see how many are willing to pay an upcharge.  Then give deluxe to upper suites and premium to junior suites with an option to buy up.  I doubt they're through fiddling with sky suites.

Edit:  I noticed sky suites were significantly reduced on 2025 TAs where they were also referred to as Junior Suites.  I'm sure there won't be an advance announcement either, just like butlers.

Is the nonalcoholic package available, as if so,  they already have 3. I believe so as they just sent me the new PDF of their drink packages. Pretty superficial-it does not say which drinks are an upcharge, but say basically anytihng can be subject to price upcharge. . If their own people cannot describe how the 2 booze  drink packages work now, I can hardly wait for a 3rd alcoholic  package

What's funny is 2 years ago to speed delivery of food, RCL Group cut back  on choices to make the kitchen more efficient. KISS method. Heck, my Army Mess Hall's were terribly efficient.

They cannot handle the operation as is, let alone go for more complexity.

It dawns on me they are doing tihings on a trial and error basis. We are the test group. Funny also, trial and error must be taught in Biz school now cause it was not taught 50 years ago. Just like taking on huge leverage with OPM to take a shot at big success to help the resume hastaken on new meaning over the decades.

I wonder why things worked so well before and what changed to make things different. If it ain't broke,,....and RCL group was making good money as recently as 2019.

But you could be right on the 3 alcoholic packages.

Edited by HMR74

7 hours ago, HMR74 said:

Woodford Whiskey, on premium  is on a $2.40 surcharge.

Can anyone on board now or next week confirm what whisky or bourbon is available on the premium package without paying an upcharge? We enjoyed Buffalo Trace on Summit the last week of November. Sailing on Reflection in a few weeks. 

6 hours ago, HMR74 said:

It dawns on me they are doing tihings on a trial and error basis. We are the test group. Funny also, trial and error must be taught in Biz school now cause it was not taught 50 years ago.

You're right, it has. This is how modern buzzwords like 'pivot' and especially "fail fast" relate to.

There's a whole business mindset that cares not about good service at all now, but just finding the 'minimum viable product" to extract cash from you as quickly as possible.

It could be worse, in the Cunard Grills everyone from the U.S. gets a package including drinks/wine up to $12.    Of course their prices for drinks are lower than Celebrity but if you get a wine for $12.50, you are charged $12.50, not  just the 50cent overage.

I don’t know if this is only Cunard under the Carnival umbrella.   It doesn’t apply to Seabourn although there are extra charge wines and drinks for which you pay the total charge.   How about Princess and Holland American?

On another thread I read that World Class Bars still have some of their special drinks at $17.  However, the Zacapa Old Fashioned was listed at $19. On yet another thread someone posted that all WCB drinks were over the $17 limit. Anyone else able to clarify about WCB drinks?

On 12/21/2023 at 8:40 PM, ETHTrader said:

I can tell you right now that no one has asked me for my seapass or surcharge at the Retreat Lounge. It's been free.

However, the drinks at the World Class Bar is now anywhere from $20-$25

Are these all the drinks at the WCB?

2 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

You're right, it has. This is how modern buzzwords like 'pivot' and especially "fail fast" relate to.

There's a whole business mindset that cares not about good service at all now, but just finding the 'minimum viable product" to extract cash from you as quickly as possible.

I have been away from the Corp world for 23 years now. We used to have this thing called mentoring and I was an invited recipient  of that in the early 80’s, attendance was essentially mandatory.   A friendly informal chat with the  CEO and or Board Chair, usually late on Friday afternoons. 

nothing technical was discussed. It was a chat about maintaining the culture of the Company.

the new “ superstars” were coming in  and were hell bent in changing the culture to what you said. Minimum viable product, but that was not a buzzword then.

their idea of improving profit was not improving efficiency, but straight out cutting costs. Like maintenance being deferred and employee benefit cut. but profit levels were extraordinary already but to improve their value, and bonus, they had to increase profits by take aways.

that what I see or do not see at X. Its just like this management team has been cut loose to try things, throw ideas up on the wall to see what sticks, or not. 

occupancy, one big metric for cruise lines has been good occupancy , but thats more a consequence of FCC and squeezing 18 months of no sail, into the last 18 months.  Getting back to equilibrium is going to be a challenge.

x has3 new edge class to be filled regularly, now after lockdowns, as well as M and S . 

Its customer base is not thrilled with a changing inconsistent product based more on take aways than new  improved.

just my top level view.

And little things do matter. 

• Like 2

Does anyone see a correlation between prices of alcohol rising and the fact that Celebrity is scheduling more Carnival-like 3, 4, 5-night "booze cruises"?  Their profit margin is no doubt going down with a younger crowd trying to get "their money's worth" by consuming more alcohol from morning to night.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I liked the posts above contrasting what used to be good business practices to what they are now. Management goals used to be establishment of regular, repeat customers, and working to expand that base. Regulars cost less to keep (massive advertising isn’t required) and a strong repeat base produces reliable, predictable revenues in the long term which aids long term planning. 

Now, all that matters is meeting or exceeding quarterly revenue goals, without regard for impact on the longer term. Often, changes and actions that improve quarterly revenues have an adverse impact in the long term. 

In Celebrity’s case, there is probably pressure on quarterly revenues. While ships are sailing pretty full, many are using FCCs from the pandemic. These produce no new fare revenues. So it looks like Celebrity is panicking  — trying to raise current revenue even in little, silly things (I.e., the cookie fiasco). And now the little silly thing is to surcharge guests who have bought AI drink packages. And Celebrity has raised Retreat fares above its real competition, which is the high premium and lux lines. Hopefully, these panic moves will all go the way of the cookie fiasco. And hopefully, Celebrity will stop making panic moves and cuts. Until it does, we all would do well to shop around other lines and select one with some confidence that we will get what we book. 

In the military we all were taught “don’t panic — that never works out well”. Perhaps those in charge at Celebrity were never taught this — or have forgotten it. 

• Like 3

On 12/21/2023 at 11:01 PM, TourDeCruise said:

We will be on Beyond on January 8th and will see if there are surcharges in Retreat. Mer Soleil is our usual Chardonnay onboard. We were able to get it in the Retreat on the Ascent Maiden Voyage without a surcharge (only had at beginning of cruise in Retreat) 

I was on the second sailing of the Ascent, and Mer Soleil was an up charge in Luminae and I THINK in the Retreat Lounge. Will be on the Beyond with you in January, so we’ll find out together! 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DingoMom said:

I was on the second sailing of the Ascent, and Mer Soleil was an up charge in Luminae and I THINK in the Retreat Lounge. Will be on the Beyond with you in January, so we’ll find out together! 

So I’m wondering how the conversation went about the upcharge ? Were you offered another option in the premium package ?

• Like 1