Can you wear earplugs/headphones at a live music venue?

1412p0oi

This may seem like an odd question, but is it socially acceptable to wear earplugs or noise cancelling headphones at one of the live music events on the ship? Many years ago I went to a live music event for the first time, and came away with tinnitus that never went away. Afterwards I've been very protective of (what remains) of my hearing, so I never blast music or like to put anything loud beyond what I can hear at normal volume. A premium noise cancelling headphone is also one of the very few things I splurge on, and I never travel anywhere without it. 

So that being said, as a person who is extremely sensitive to noise and don't want my tinnitus to get worse, would I be okay wearing headphones to a live music event to dilute the sound? Would they think it's rude of me or not allow me in? I still want to hear new music, but just not at a very loud volume. I can probably just stand outside and listen but then I don't want to look really awkward doing that...

Edited by 1412p0oi

If it's too dang loud (and it often is) go ahead and wear your noise reducing earbuds or headphones. Your hearing is vastly more important than what some random stranger might think of you. These days, if I put in earplugs to try to reduce the volume it tends to increase the volume of the tininitus that has plagued me for years. If there was any way I could go back and find some way to keep from ever developing that ailment I would gladly do so in a heartbeat. I haven't heard "The Sound of Silence" in a very long time. I would give a lot to get rid of the constant, loud ringing in my ears. Do whatever you feel necessary to protect your hearing and, of course, to enjoy your listening experience. Rest assured that nobody will keep you from wearing your hearing protection.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 9

I wear my hearing aids and place it in the mute mode.  Often I add a protection of wadded up tissue.  Protect your ears…it’s louder than necessary in many venues beginning with the Piazza and ending with Princess Theater.  

• Like 5

Wearing headphones is absolutely no issue whatsoever.  You might get a few nosy nellies asking why.  Just respond with "I can't hear you I have headphones on".  😀

Seriously, I'm not sure why you would think it an issue, but if you were worried about it I'm glad you asked.  And, you got a great answer!   Enjoy.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Hello! My husband has extremely sensitive hearing and loud music (or unexpected loud sounds) will cause him to have headaches. We always travel with his re-usable silicon earplugs (Lowes, Home Depot, Amazon). He will use them on the ship and even on excursions, such as shuttle buses or boats that have music or a narrator with speakers. If he didn't use them, we wouldn't be able to enjoy the theater shows, live music, certain tours, etc., so we definitely recommend them! You are not alone, and to be honest sometimes I think I should use them too, especially when the singing in the shows is way too loud! 🙂

• Like 1

I've been using earplugs for years at any music venue or air shows, etc.  If anyone has an issue with it that's not my problem.  I can actually hear the music better with them in blocking the noise.  I've recently also been using the silicone type as they can really do a good job sealing my ears.  If you haven't tried them yet you should.

• Like 2

I do two things when I find a venue such as the Piazza and the theater overamplified to the point it's uncomfortable - I vacate and complain.

It amazes me that sheeple will just sit there in an environment that starts damaging their hearing after about 15 minutes of exposure to decibels approaching jet engines.

Perhaps these would make a statement.

Screenshot_20231220-0856022.thumb.png.9a5045a98da9c5054731874e3b940855.png

You'll probably never see anybody there again so wear what works for you.

More importantly for everyone, download a free sound level meter app for iPhone or Android and measure the sound. Screen shot when the sound goes over 80db and go to Passenger Services, show them and complain.

If everybody did that, change would happen.

• Like 3

If you wear earplugs a lot, it's worth investing in a good pair. I recommend going to an audiologist and having molds taken. Many use Westone as a vendor, and they're great! They have removable filters, so you can choose 15db, 25db or solid blocking. They allow the highs through, so nothing is muffled, just lower in volume. Been using them for 20+ years now. Cost is around $225, but they last forever (or until you lose them 8^).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

More importantly for everyone, download a free sound level meter app for iPhone or Android and measure the sound. Screen shot when the sound goes over 80db and go to Passenger Services, show them and complain.

No ... I complained, but got "pooh - pooh'd away" by a drone. 

They just don't care. 😡

16 minutes ago, Vic The Parrot said:

No ... I complained, but got "pooh - pooh'd away" by a drone. 

They just don't care. 😡

The key word there was, "everybody." Now, if there had been a long line behind you, all with the same complaint....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Thrak said:

If it's too dang loud (and it often is) go ahead and wear your noise reducing earbuds or headphones. Your hearing is vastly more important than what some random stranger might think of you. These days, if I put in earplugs to try to reduce the volume it tends to increase the volume of the tininitus that has plagued me for years. If there was any way I could go back and find some way to keep from ever developing that ailment I would gladly do so in a heartbeat. I haven't heard "The Sound of Silence" in a very long time. I would give a lot to get rid of the constant, loud ringing in my ears. Do whatever you feel necessary to protect your hearing and, of course, to enjoy your listening experience. Rest assured that nobody will keep you from wearing your hearing protection.

Right there with you, if I'd known back then the earplugs the service provided wasn't the best I might have searched for something better if it would have stopped this constant ringing.

Edited by Moondogy

14 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

You'll probably never see anybody there again so wear what works for you.

I did just that after a theater show.  The person behind the desk had to log in my complaint. I’m glad it was recorded.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

The key word there was, "everybody." Now, if there had been a long line behind you, all with the same complaint....

With the Medallion they can tell who is where on the ship.  If a venue is too loud or the show blows and people vacate, they can tell.

I have been on some ships where the racket in the Piazza was so loud and bled over to Guest Services that the person behind the desk couldn't hear my complaint about the noise and I had to write it down.

That's an indication that it is indeed too loud.

Coming soon, Princess introduces a Miracle Ear shop onboard.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

With the Medallion they can tell who is where on the ship.  If a venue is too loud or the show blows and people vacate, they can tell.

I have been on some ships where the racket in the Piazza was so loud and bled over to Guest Services that the person behind the desk couldn't hear my complaint about the noise and I had to write it down.

That's an indication that it is indeed too loud.

Coming soon, Princess introduces a Miracle Ear shop onboard.

Same problem on the Enchanted in the piazza. GS could not hear me, nor the bar hostess or IC manager. 😳

• Thanks 1

Go to YouTube and look for videos of rock concerts.  Any close-up of the performers should reveal the ear plugs they wear to protect their ears from the sounds that they are making. Many have suffered serious hearing loss over the years.  If it’s good enough for Pete Townsend, you shouldn’t worry about what others see and think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1