7600 passengers? Would Celebrity build a ship like that?

Bently57

I just read about the new RC ship that will accommodate 7600 pax. For me that’s too much. Is this the new direction for cruise ships or do you think Celebrity will stick to the current number of passengers?  I had no issues with the Ascent, which I thought was going to be too much for me. So maybe I am just wrong. I have cruised on an 800 passenger ship before, the Ocean Princess…and though the number of passengers seemed right, the ship bored me. 

Well the large ships will become their own floating islands as most ports will cancel them.

That is the future for the Masses - a Vegas at sea. 

The Masses will be processed aboard and RC (or others) will be thrilled.

Captive market, spending $, using their apps to order more stuff - it is perfect for RC.

Could not be more perfect.

Remember sheeple get processed...............

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, QuestionEverything said:

Well the large ships will become their own floating islands as most ports will cancel them.

Captive market, spending $, using their apps to order more stuff - it is perfect for RC.

I would not be interested in anything like this. 

Edited by Bently57
Add
  • Like 2

I am sure those types of ships will not be cruising to European ports any time soon!  Honestly, I had no idea something like that was even being contemplated.  Maybe it will just head out to sea and stay there for the entire duration!  One thing I know for sure, it is not for me😱

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2

The "islands at sea" is not a new concept, been talked about for 10 years.

Hence why ports like Venice and others are saying no to the big ships.

The cruise lines know that there are many sheeple who keep booking cruises ie "obedient consumers" so they will continue to build big.

Think of it - no port fees, no tendering, no passengers spending their $ Not on the ship.

Perfect for the cruise lines and the sheeple are processed.......................

1 hour ago, Bently57 said:

I just read about the new RC ship that will accommodate 7600 pax. For me that’s too much. Is this the new direction for cruise ships or do you think Celebrity will stick to the current number of passengers?  I had no issues with the Ascent, which I thought was going to be too much for me. So maybe I am just wrong. I have cruised on an 800 passenger ship before, the Ocean Princess…and though the number of passengers seemed right, the ship bored me. 

HOPE NOT!

Okay. Can we please just stop??? Of course not. If RCG decided to do that (Does anyone here believe Celebrity could actually make a capital investment like that without the RCG Board's approval? If so, I have a very nice suspension bridge I'd like to sell you.) And unless the entire RCG Board is made up of morons, they've seen this movie. Anyone remember Pontiac and Oldsmobile? They're gone. They cannibalized GM customers upmarket from Cadillac and down market from Chevrolet and Buick. And they had their own overhead. When the financial crisis hit, they went away.

If RCG starts approving ships on that scale, they'll be labeled Royal Caribbean. There would be no reason to continue to have a Celebrity if Celebrity ships were directly competing in the same market. They would cannibalize each other. RCG would sacrifice Celebrity (sell or absorb into Royal Caribbean) before doing that.

Celebrity is a subsidiary. They're not making that type of decision themselves. And all the "nickel and dime" changes everyone complains about suggest strongly to me that Celebrity may not be pulling its weight corporately anyway...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bently57 said:

Has this question been asked a lot?  Sorry. I didn’t know. Not everyone is on these boards a lot to know. 

Probably not this specific question, but a huge number of posts on the so called “Royalization” of Celebrity. It’s probably more the people jumping in than the original question. With no thought of the actual corporate structure and positioning. But the answer is still no. If Celebrity becomes Royal it goes away, and a 7600 passenger ship, if it happens, can’t be Celebrity in the RCG structure. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, markeb said:

Probably not this specific question, but a huge number of posts on the so called “Royalization” of Celebrity. It’s probably more the people jumping in than the original question. With no thought of the actual corporate structure and positioning. But the answer is still no. If Celebrity becomes Royal it goes away, and a 7600 passenger ship, if it happens, can’t be Celebrity in the RCG structure. 

I agree with your comments.  Celebrity seems to be sticking with the capacity of E-class which in fact is similar to S-Class.  In the future who knows really, but nothing of much larger capacity on the known horizon.  It does seem that the RCCL division of RCG has cornered the mega mega ship market.  For many years running.  And they always seem to fill the next in line mega ship at capacity so a lot of the cruising public is attracted to them for their own reasons.  Celebrity cruisers here who do not like the mega ships have plenty of other choices without disparaging those who like to sail on them.  In fact we are going on O-Class (Symphony 5500 capacity) in Feb and will definitely enjoy it.  We are not big fans of E-Class ships but the Retreat on them is nice (but now way overpriced).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

While I enjoy Edge, Solstice is my preferred size/class of ship. I hope Celebrity doesn't follow the trend if going bigger.

But, I do think there's a market fir a floating island at sea experience and I don't think people who may like that are steeple. There are/coyld be valid reasons for vacationing this way. Sure, it's not the cultural experience you get visiting various countries, but if it's safe, cost effective, and enjoyable... those who elect the experience shouldn't be frowned on for doing so.

I just hope some new ships, by Celebrity in particular, are scaled down a little and they focus on refining the products and services rather than expanding. Im very eager to see what comes after Edge class.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DSJ28 said:

While I enjoy Edge, Solstice is my preferred size/class of ship. I hope Celebrity doesn't follow the trend if going bigger.

But, I do think there's a market fir a floating island at sea experience and I don't think people who may like that are steeple. There are/coyld be valid reasons for vacationing this way. Sure, it's not the cultural experience you get visiting various countries, but if it's safe, cost effective, and enjoyable... those who elect the experience shouldn't be frowned on for doing so.

I just hope some new ships, by Celebrity in particular, are scaled down a little and they focus on refining the products and services rather than expanding. Im very eager to see what comes after Edge class.

agree .. Hope X scales down to more elegant ships, but not gaudy;  a bigger,  better spa with T pool......new dining options (not fast food)

E Class was fun, but after we finish cruising  the series (excluding XL),  we are returning to S Class...Esp with the creaking issue  on 2 of the E ships

It won't happen. The RCL group have three distinct brands in Royal Caribbean, Celebrity X and Silversea. 

Where would the logic be in building mega ships for Celebrity when RCL are class leaders in that arena? 

Personally I think the new E class ships are big enough as they are. I also think it could be 5 to 10 years before we see a new ship class released by Celebrity anyway. Hopefully without the infinite verandah too....... 

13 hours ago, jelayne said:

7600 is at max capacity, full double occupancy is 5610 so realistically 7600 won’t happen often .  Either way I have no interest in sailing on Royal, been there, done that don’t need a repeat.

We took a family vacation this past summer on the Oasis. Double occupancy is 5400. But this ship sailed with triple and quads for a total of 6800. With the exception of enjoying every minute with spent with our Children and Grandchidren ........ it was by far the worst cruising experience we have ever had!!!!!!

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 5:48 PM, Jim_Iain said:

All I can say is no way in the world would I travel on a ship of that size.      I personally believe that in the next 5 years Celebrity is locked into the Edge Class Ships as they just announced their latest.

Agreed, a vacation is relaxing, that would be a nightmare for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

If you look at the history of Celebrity they keep on adding more staterooms to every new class of ship.  M class was the best.  S class 2nd best and E class is a monstrosity. Celebrity has been Royalized.  It could easily be a mega ship next.

100% agree.

Celebrity is unfortunately far away from their start, the Zenith, Century - Celebrity was the Oceania of the time - classy, amazing service, great food For Everyone folks, formal high tea - I cruised on Celebrity in 2001 onwards until just before covid.

The M class is 100% the best - a real ship.

The newer ships - 0 chance I will set foot on those fake ships.

Celebrity is all about removing the "ship" and "ocean" from cruising and ensuring passengers focus inwards so they spend more $.

But to each their own, Celebrity's product has never been more unappealing to us.

Wish the best for everyone in 2024. Blessings.

On 12/28/2023 at 6:27 PM, Lastdance said:

I am sure those types of ships will not be cruising to European ports any time soon!  Honestly, I had no idea something like that was even being contemplated.  Maybe it will just head out to sea and stay there for the entire duration!  One thing I know for sure, it is not for me😱

Actually, very large ships carrying  over 6,000 passengers have sailed already in Europe.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 6:19 PM, QuestionEverything said:

No need to be insulting.  If it's not your thing, that's fine.

• Like 1