Missing teen?

This is a little odd. A 15 year old missing off a cruise ship is lost in Dunedin.  How do you get lost in Dunedin?  It's just not that big

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/search-underway-15-year-old-missing-afte-becoming-separated-from-parent-during-cruise-ship-visit-to-dunedin/TLFKGFE6V5FF5LC3M6PFVQJSEA/

28 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

This is a little odd. A 15 year old missing off a cruise ship is lost in Dunedin.  How do you get lost in Dunedin?  It's just not that big

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/search-underway-15-year-old-missing-afte-becoming-separated-from-parent-during-cruise-ship-visit-to-dunedin/TLFKGFE6V5FF5LC3M6PFVQJSEA/

Maybe this was one of the excursions?

• Haha 4

I dunno, I was in the supermarket on Christmas Eve and stopped to chat to a man I know. He was standing with his granddaughter. He'd "lost" his wife, last known location at the frozen turkeys 🐔 I said I'd look out for her and carried on, getting my few things. I didn't see her and when going through the checkout I could see him still looking for his wife (why he didn't stay in one place and send the 14 year old around all the aisles, I don't know)! My supermarket is smaller than Dunedin!

Edited by Jean C
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Easily done if he found the Speights brewery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Do you think Speights would have served alcohol to a 15 year old girl? In the photo in the article she appeared her age - not 15 going on 20. 🙂

I didnt read the article, but you don't have to be of age to do the brewery tour, and you don't need to be drinking to get lost.

Our nephew almost got lost there once.

• Like 1

I was standing in the aisle at KMart, a shop assistant came up and asked if I needed help to find anything.  I told him I had lost my daughter, he immediately wanted to take me to the service desk to put a notice over the store pa.

I thanked him but told him my daughter probably wouldn’t like that as she is 50.  The look on his face was priceless.

and yes I found her after I texted her. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I guess the report of the "lost" young person in an unknown city, with perhaps a cellphone that doesn't have international roaming or being able to use the "stalker" app to locate the parents, if that'swhat they do in their home town, is an opportunity for those travelling or planning to travel with young people to have a plan in case this happens to them. If they carry their cellphone, even without roaming, they could perhaps find free wifi and use FB Messenger, or similar, to contact each other, or go back to the advice we were told as kids, if we got lost to find a policeman or someone similarly responsible.

I doubt there isn't anyone on this site who hasn't at some point in their life "lost" a kid or spouse when out and about, especially shopping. It's like an accident - unplanned but sometimes it just happens.

• Like 4

My kids were often lost at the big shopping centres like Miranda/Hurstville when we lived in the 'Shire.'

These days I just lose my car at the local Shopping Centres in Batemans Bay, You know, where did I park it lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 12/31/2023 at 12:55 AM, Jean C said:

I doubt there isn't anyone on this site who hasn't at some point in their life "lost" a kid or spouse when out and about, especially shopping. It's like an accident - unplanned but sometimes it just happens.

Yes I have but somehow they always managed to find me.🤭

• Haha 2

According to my husband, I am the one who just 'disappears' - one minute I am right there with him and the next - voom, gone. I only stop or veer off a little to look at something and of course he keeps walking,😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

According to my husband, I am the one who just 'disappears' - one minute I am right there with him and the next - voom, gone. I only stop or veer off a little to look at something and of course he keeps walking,😁

Must be a wife thing, mine does the same. Seen many husbands / partners walking along scanning the isles. 😁

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Must be a wife thing, mine does the same. Seen many husbands / partners walking along scanning the isles. 😁

The trick to prevent that is to just continue on home 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 4