The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday, January 10th, 2024

kazu

Today is Bittersweet Chocolate Day, Houseplant Appreciation Day, and National Cut Your Energy Costs Day

The fear of life is the favorite disease of the 20th century. - William Lyon Phelps

Meal Suggestion for today - Slow-Cooker Balsamic Short Ribs
Drink of the Day - Absinthe Frappe
Wine of the Day - Brancott Estate Flight Song Sauvignon Blanc
Destination of the Day - Sasebo, Japan

Today in History:
49 BC Julius Caesar defies the Roman Senate and crosses the Rubicon, uttering "alea iacta est" (the die is cast), signaling the start of civil war which would lead to his appointment as Roman dictator for life
1776 "Common Sense" Pamphlet by Thomas Paine published, advocating American independence
1946 UN General Assembly meets for 1st time in London

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Cozumel, Quintana Roo Mexico, Riviera Maya 09:00 - 18:00 

Koningsdam

Loreto, Baja California Mexico 08:00 - 17:00 

Nieuw Amsterdam

Puerto Plata-Amber Cove, Dominicana 08:00 - 16:00 

Nieuw Statendam

San Juan, Puerto Rico 13:00 - 22:00 

Oosterdam

Puerto Chacabuco, Chile 10:00 - 18:00 

Rotterdam

Kralendijk Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles 07:00 - 18:00 

Volendam

At Sea Destination Hilo, Hawaii Island eta 01-11

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Puntarenas, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica eta 01-11

• Like 19
  • Thanks 22

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Happy Hump Day.

@rafinmd Thanks for the map.

The storm has passed, just a few centimeters of snow followed by rain.  It's still windy.

A good day for chocolate.  I like my house plants, not sure if I appreciate them.

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds good, I need a few new slow cooker recipes.  I'll pass on the drink but I know I'll like the wine.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for our world.

Have a good day.  Stay safe.

• Like 30

Good morning, Dailyites! Thank you for the daily and fleet report.

It’s a cool morning in southeast Texas. 

Prayers for all on the care list.  Hope everyone has a wonderful day.  Share a smile with others.  

• Like 26

Happy Hump Day everyone!

Thank you @rafinmd for our maps, @cat shepard @summer slope@dfish for our food and beverage menus & descriptions and @JazzyV for her extensive lists.  👍 

No saving energy today in case we lose power.  it’s houseplant appreciation day here every day 😉 Not sure I agree with the quote.  Meal sounds good but I don’t have the meat and no one in their right mind is going anywhere today - at least, I am not.  Yea, on the white wine 🙂 

IMG_1936.thumb.jpeg.14eb7e48abe8fcc504ce01049b63373f.jpeg

I have been a little quiet as I didn’t want to end up on the Care list nor be a complainer.  Took a bad fall on black ice last Thursday.  Huge ouch and aches.  Seemed to be improving until Monday night when I felt a scary “click” in my elbow.  Very scared something was broken I prepared for the worst and took Ivan with enough food for a week, treats and meds to stay with my friend.  For once, things went my way.  it didn’t take 10 hours at the hospital (yay) and the elbow is not broken (double yay).  Soft tissue and tendon damage in the arm and elbow so I just go slow and humour it.  SO relieved.  It was nearly a year to the day when I had the accident last year and I had visions of being in the same situation all over again 😬

IMG_1418.thumb.jpeg.971fdbc4b1f3eb9ca3853c4399e6a8d6.jpeg

our storm is here and so far, it looks like the mess they were calling for.  Very high winds (60 MPH) with it.  Snow, freezing rain, power outage warnings.   Sorry, Ivan but you and I aren’t going anywhere today.  Plows have been running hard since at least 4 AM (woke me up) but the streets don’t look good at all despite their efforts.

IMG_1934.jpeg.eecffa21f7e9f2e592a69cf2134c371c.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, health issues, pain, worries & those that need them 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising - I wish I was.

IMG_1918.jpeg.d5b81db6913cf7132d94fbd89c9c78ab.jpeg

/

Have a good day everyone.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 4

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

Crazy for Cats loss of his beloved cat Amelia

Cruzin Terri safe trip home home 

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

Passing of Norseh2o’s DM Ruth on 1/4/2024

All in the path of storms

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Rafinmd getting radiation treatments

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

57redbird released by her neurosurgeon after surgery

Marshhawk’s DH responding to Keytruda

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

4 days for Sailingdutchy (Rotterdam Jan 14 to Feb 4) 21d PC Sunfarer & Southern Caribbean Seafarer

Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam to Jan 14, Tropical/Southern Caribbean Seafarer), Kochleffel(Anthem of the Seas to Jan 18) 11d Southern Caribbean, Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24) B2B2B2B2B Caribbean, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, cruising sister (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Cruise), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11) 128d Grand World Voyage and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9) 156d World Voyage 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 19

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

Happy Hump Day everyone!

Thank you @rafinmd for our maps, @cat shepard @summer slope@dfish for our food and beverage menus & descriptions and @JazzyV for her extensive lists.  👍 

No saving energy today in case we lose power.  it’s houseplant appreciation day here every day 😉 Not sure I agree with the quote.  Meal sounds good but I don’t have the meat and no one in their right mind is going anywhere today - at least, I am not.  Yea, on the white wine 🙂 

IMG_1936.thumb.jpeg.14eb7e48abe8fcc504ce01049b63373f.jpeg

I have been a little quiet as I didn’t want to end up on the Care list nor be a complainer.  Took a bad fall on black ice last Thursday.  Huge ouch and aches.  Seemed to be improving until Monday night when I felt a scary “click” in my elbow.  Very scared something was broken I prepared for the worst and took Ivan with enough food for a week, treats and meds to stay with my friend.  For once, things went my way.  it didn’t take 10 hours at the hospital (yay) and the elbow is not broken (double yay).  Soft tissue and tendon damage in the arm and elbow so I just go slow and humour it.  SO relieved.  It was nearly a year to the day when I had the accident last year and I had visions of being in the same situation all over again 😬

IMG_1418.thumb.jpeg.971fdbc4b1f3eb9ca3853c4399e6a8d6.jpeg

our storm is here and so far, it looks like the mess they were calling for.  Very high winds (60 MPH) with it.  Snow, freezing rain, power outage warnings.   Sorry, Ivan but you and I aren’t going anywhere today.  Plows have been running hard since at least 4 AM (woke me up) but the streets don’t look good at all despite their efforts.

IMG_1934.jpeg.eecffa21f7e9f2e592a69cf2134c371c.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, health issues, pain, worries & those that need them 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising - I wish I was.

IMG_1918.jpeg.d5b81db6913cf7132d94fbd89c9c78ab.jpeg

/

Have a good day everyone.

I'm very sorry to hear about your fall and pleased you have no broken bones.

I suspected you must have been unwell when you posted today's daily so early.

Sincerest best wishes for a complete recovery.

I hope Ivan is okay.

Graham xx.

f10600360060e6d71d483f4cb7cedccd.gif

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Ouch, Jacqui.  I was wondering if you were expecting a power outage as it seems to me you posted very early.  Prayers that your power remains.  I know we had some power outages in the area but I was able to come out unscathed.  Underground utilities are a blessing but flooding can also interfere with them.

Hope you heal faster than expected and your power stays on.

Roy

• Like 31

Good morning friends!  As I mentioned last night we had 5 inches of rain yesterday, and last night the winds were howling as temperatures dropped.  This morning it's 35 with partly cloudy skies and the high will only be about 48F.  January seems like it will be an active weather month.

Thank you Jacqui @kazu for posting the Fleet Report and Daily for Rich.  I have no objections to bittersweet chocolate, houseplant appreciation and cutting energy costs.  I'm not sure what to think of the quote.  I'm sure the slow cooked short ribs will be good.  Not a fan of the cocktail but would try the sauvignon blanc.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for the F&B reports.

Prayers said for all my Daily friends especially Vanessa @JazzyV, Roy @rafinmd, and Terri @Cruzin Terri.  Many prayers for DB and DGD, Scott and Bob and wives who care for them.  And last but not least people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages held and troops under fire at sea and on land. Sorry to hear of your fall Jacqui @kazu and resulting pain and tenderness.  Get better quickly and stay safe!  Hip hip hooray for all celebrating happy events and cruises!  Enjoy them!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for the list keeping!

The port today is Sasebo, Japan which was also our port on Nov. 13, 2021 and May 23, 2022.  I have not been to Sasebo before so have no photos.  If you have been and would like to share photos we would be very pleased.  Here are the links to help you out.

In the past we've seen Nagasaki attached to Sasebo and Nagasaki has different dates so if anyone needs those posted let me know.  I try to keep up with the Daily during the day as I work on my cross stitch project.  I would love to grab a nap today but feel guilty if I don't get enough done on the stocking each day.  Dilemmas!

Have a good day everyone and try to stay out of that bad weather!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.

It is 43°F and raining here.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

There are lots of ways to conserve energy.

I have sold chocolate for over 35 years and detest dark chocolate but it is healthier than milk or white chocolate.

I don't agree with today's quote.

The food sounds nice.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Screenshot_20240110_112546.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 8

11 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Ouch, Jacqui.  I was wondering if you were expecting a power outage as it seems to me you posted very early.  Prayers that your power remains.  I know we had some power outages in the area but I was able to come out unscathed.  Underground utilities are a blessing but flooding can also interfere with them.

Hope you heal faster than expected and your power stays on.

Roy

Thanks Roy - you are right - I was up VERY early this morning.  Plows & winds woke me up and couldn’t get  comfortable & back to sleep.

I can usually post even without power thanks to my generator.  I don’t have heat (other then portables) but my fridges, coffee maker, microwave & a couple of outlets work along with my phone, tv and internet.

• Like 34

Absinthe Frappe cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 ounces absinthe
1/2 ounce simple syrup
2 dashes anisette
Soda water, chilled, to top (about 2 ounces)
Garnish: mint sprig

Steps
Add all ingredients except the soda water into a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled.
Strain into a large snifter over crushed or pebble ice.
Top with the soda water and stir briefly and gently to combine.
Add more ice to the glass, forming a mounded top.
Garnish with a mint sprig.
Serve with a straw.

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 6.55.18 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 17

8 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  As I mentioned last night we had 5 inches of rain yesterday, and last night the winds were howling as temperatures dropped.  This morning it's 35 with partly cloudy skies and the high will only be about 48F.  January seems like it will be an active weather month.

Thank you Jacqui @kazu for posting the Fleet Report and Daily for Rich.  I have no objections to bittersweet chocolate, houseplant appreciation and cutting energy costs.  I'm not sure what to think of the quote.  I'm sure the slow cooked short ribs will be good.  Not a fan of the cocktail but would try the sauvignon blanc.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for the F&B reports.

Prayers said for all my Daily friends especially Vanessa @JazzyV, Roy @rafinmd, and Terri @Cruzin Terri.  Many prayers for DB and DGD, Scott and Bob and wives who care for them.  And last but not least people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages held and troops under fire at sea and on land. Sorry to hear of your fall Jacqui @kazu and resulting pain and tenderness.  Get better quickly and stay safe!  Hip hip hooray for all celebrating happy events and cruises!  Enjoy them!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for the list keeping!

The port today is Sasebo, Japan which was also our port on Nov. 13, 2021 and May 23, 2022.  I have not been to Sasebo before so have no photos.  If you have been and would like to share photos we would be very pleased.  Here are the links to help you out.

In the past we've seen Nagasaki attached to Sasebo and Nagasaki has different dates so if anyone needs those posted let me know.  I try to keep up with the Daily during the day as I work on my cross stitch project.  I would love to grab a nap today but feel guilty if I don't get enough done on the stocking each day.  Dilemmas!

Have a good day everyone and try to stay out of that bad weather!

Take care Sandi and get a nap when you can.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Take care Sandi and get a nap when you can.

Thank you Graham.  It's still dark and cold, and I'm sleepy so maybe I should go back to bed now!  DH got up at around 2:30 and turned off the security system (with accompanying chirps) and went outside to get our rain gauge since it's partly made of glass and the temps were dropping towards freezing.  It could have held some rain in it and would freeze.  Then the alarm went back on with more chirps and by then I was wide awake.  I normally wake up around 3:30 to 4 and doze a bit until exercise time but had my rest interrupted too much.  😴💤

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you Graham.  It's still dark and cold, and I'm sleepy so maybe I should go back to bed now!  DH got up at around 2:30 and turned off the security system (with accompanying chirps) and went outside to get our rain gauge since it's partly made of glass and the temps were dropping towards freezing.  It could have held some rain in it and would freeze.  Then the alarm went back on with more chirps and by then I was wide awake.  I normally wake up around 3:30 to 4 and doze a bit until exercise time but had my rest interrupted too much.  😴💤

I'm a night owl and regularly awake at midnight but sleep in till it's light about 08.30am this morning.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good Wednesday morning. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Survived the storm. It was bad yesterday and last night. Haven't assessed all of the damage, but our front screen door was blown open last night ripping the closing mechanism out of the door frame. Lots of trees down and road closures. Schools are either closed or on a two-hour delay. 

I am working from home today. Pour Fancy refused to go out at all last night. She did go out this morning. Currently watching Icon of the Seas sail into Miami for the first time. I would not say she is a pretty ship. Way too big for me. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.f83e2e0d97e12ea786736b5b545492dd.png

• Like 28

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui. And Jacqui, three cheers that you did not break your elbow! Roy, thank you for the maps!

Well it is 20 degrees colder here this morning. Yesterday’s wild storms sucked all the heat out of our skies. 😜 Partial funnel clouds were spotted, but they never touched the ground.

This pic was taken two miles from my Sister, who lives about 8 miles North of me. 

IMG_2359.jpeg.16706ea41817a5056d531f7300e0c3ec.jpeg

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with our happenings. I am glad that you are getting a bit more sleep. Now your medical team needs to work on relieving your pain - permanently. 

It is cold & still windy this morning. Bindi still wanted to walk because it was not raining. Manicure, more Bindi walks, chores, HIIT, and starting to plan Saturday’s dinner. My turn to host.

IMG_2357.jpeg.5b9e1cec9c8413991572bc32ceeac2c4.jpeg

IMG_2358.jpeg.8fc936239e4066b43405fecb2a679102.jpeg

IMG_2360.jpeg.443d6c29e97d0d2ae7fe7ca0fd6ad069.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Especially those suffering from debilitating pain and conditions. And those grieving the loss of a loved one: human or furry.
Thinking of you & Tana, Terry. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. I know lots of Southeastern Dailyites who are celebrating making it through yesterday’s storm. 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Brancott Estate Flight Song Sauvignon Blanc

This New Zealand SB offers a lighter calorie and lower alcohol content option - 9%. 

Health organizations are starting to talk about the health benefits of drinking only one or two glasses of wine each week 😱 and drinking lower alcohol content wine. They also said they know that might be difficult for many people, but….

This SB is widely available and priced to try a lower alcohol content wine! Numerous distributors with online prices starting at $10.99.

Distributor notes

Brancott Estate Flight Song Sauvignon Blanc (750 ml): New Zealand's Marlborough region shines in this Sauvignon Blanc. Offering vibrant notes of passion fruit, lime, and kiwi, it's a light, aromatic experience that pairs seamlessly with fresh seafood or tangy salads.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 12

Good Morning, thanks for the daily fleet report.  It rained heavily overnight and most of the snow is gone.  There are several road closures due to flooding.  The storm is over here but another coming our way for the weekend.  Today will be a busy work day, we are doing a dry run of a data center migration, plus several customer calls.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good.

@kazu I’m sorry to hear about your fall.  I hope your recovery is quick.

A big thank you to everyone on your thoughts about Amelia.  The house was definitely too quiet last night.  Today I need to call the veterinarian’s office and cancel her wellness check.  Our pet sitter has an aunt that can use Amelia’s meds so it won’t go to waste.

I hope everyone has a nice day today.

image.thumb.png.8e7bc1a8d682c86a6446123d5eda39a2.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 5

Good morning. We will be arriving in Puerto Limon in hour and a half. We have nothing planned here and will be enjoying being on board. This was a substitute port when our two Ecuador ports were cancelled due to civil unrest. The other substitute will be overnight in Panama City.

Stopped by and watched Cumulative Trivia which are the hard core trivia teams that are competing the entire cruise. Got a kick that one of the teams named the Drivers was ten Officers including the Captain and Hotel Director. Even funnier the Captain ran the trivia yesterday when CD had another obligation. Great and very approachable crew.

Yesterday was the huge brunch Buffett served in main dining room. We elected a light lunch on the Sunset Verandha. Attended more lectures, we both took short naps dined in Discovery (MDR) and then went to see the four British tenors who will be disembarking today. Great performance by them and the ships orchestra.

Time for coffee and to watch our sail in.

Thanks for the Report and postings. Bruce

image.jpeg.1ab4d2c47e08d5ef2e1f4997550f423a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d0d77788c2ee1d40d24500f1409585e0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3ba3024e8cdec09716f3806bb97c49d1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a35ed1a3edec4f2c2384c1ab1c6e1a98.jpegimage.jpeg.53af52a4db0f8c301f8fab49d7f06fe5.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 15
  • Haha 23

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I do love chocolate, and know that bittersweet is the best!  White chocolate is just a chocolate wanna-be.  I do appreciate our houseplants because most of them become outdoor plants in the spring/summer/fall.  I don't think today is a day to cut energy costs, but we never keep the house too warm or too cool, regardless of the season.

The predicted "Alberta Clipper" came through starting around 2PM yesterday.  The wind came first, and then it brought cold, followed by what looked like just a small amount of snow.   That quickly morphed into snow, snow, and more snow, and howling winds overnight.  This morning as I looked outside you couldn't tell where the street ended and the driveway began.  Our neighbour decided it would be a good thing to start his behemoth snow blower at 5:30 this morning and clear his driveway - he's retired, so I don't know why on earth he would need to do it so early, but it sure woke us up.  All I know is that it's cold and dark out there with a wind chill temperature of -35C (-31F) and we're not going anywhere!

@kazuanother fall - yikes!  So glad it wasn't as bad as you thought; please take care of you or we're going to have to encase you in bubble wrap!

@JazzyVI'm glad to hear you had some extra sleep - hopefully it's a trend that will continue.

@Denise T I agree with your assessment of the Icon of the Seas - too big for me; it's twice as large as the small town were I grew up!

Not much happening here, I finished another blanket off last night so I think I'm taking the day to sit in front of the fireplace with a book that arrived from Amazon a couple of days ago.  I will definitely pass on the drink - I tried absinthe once and didn't like it.   I'll let the white wine folks enjoy today's selection, and look forward to the recipe for today's menu suggestion.  Right now I've got some ground beef thawing that will be made into spaghetti sauce and I'll turn that into baked spaghetti served along with a tossed salad for us to enjoy in the warmth of our kitchen tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in the midst of storms, and wars.  Cheers to all who have celebrations happening.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1