How bad is MSC Seashore? Suite? Considering this...

aimcat

So we have been looking at cruises on a few lines - RC, Carnival, Virgin and MSC. One that fits the time we can take off for a 4 night cruise is in Feb on MSC Seashore. I see pretty horrible reviews on this ship and after a pretty bad experience last March on RC Independence I am not looking for a repeat.               

The thing is - I can get a suite basically any of the Aurea suites for the cost of a basic balcony room on all the rest so this peaked my interest. So curious what others might think...? Thank you all in advance. 

I did a Live from on Seashore in December and found it perfectly fine.  Go with the attitude that it will not be like any other cruise line you have sailed, and you will do fine.  On Seaside I bid up to Aurea and the only value for me was My Time dining.  EM

What was your issue with Indy? I've sailed both last year and Indy made me realize that I can no longer sail on older ships. Seashore was nice and new, so that alone was a win. Also we had an aurea balcony on deck 9 which are extended and have loungers. So nice. 

Indy - Well we got sick 2nd to last day. Turned out it was Flu and sickest we have ever been. So this of course made us hold a grudge. On top of that...ship seemed worn, room was rough and not clean, food bad, service also bad. Just all that just made it the worst cruise I have ever done and my fiance' first cruise and a bad way to start. 

Still trying to get some insight on this cruise. Having only done Carnival and Royal before I am not sure about MSC? I have read a lot of bad! 

I cruised this ship last June. It was beautiful, the workers were friendly and I even thought the food was good. I have cruised NCL, Princess, Carnival, and RC. MSC is by far my favorite cruise line. About to go on the Seascape at the end of June for the 4th holiday.

On 1/11/2024 at 9:57 AM, aimcat said:

So we have been looking at cruises on a few lines - RC, Carnival, Virgin and MSC. One that fits the time we can take off for a 4 night cruise is in Feb on MSC Seashore. I see pretty horrible reviews on this ship and after a pretty bad experience last March on RC Independence I am not looking for a repeat.               

The thing is - I can get a suite basically any of the Aurea suites for the cost of a basic balcony room on all the rest so this peaked my interest. So curious what others might think...? Thank you all in advance. 

We have not been on Seashore, but have been on Seaside and Seascape. MSC ships are beautiful. Since it is an Italian cruise line, there is usually an international passenger base, some of which do not have the etiquette when it comes to the buffet and waiting in line. On a shorter cruise, not sure it would be the same.

The food is at the least, good, in my opinion, portions are smaller in main dining than US ships.  The buffet is good, I especially liked the fix your own sub sandwich, and the pizza is usually the best at sea.

We are booked on Magnifica in April, 3 night cruise, which will be our 8th MSc cruise.

57 minutes ago, rikitikitavii said:

We have not been on Seashore, but have been on Seaside and Seascape. MSC ships are beautiful. Since it is an Italian cruise line, there is usually an international passenger base, some of which do not have the etiquette when it comes to the buffet and waiting in line. On a shorter cruise, not sure it would be the same.

The food is at the least, good, in my opinion, portions are smaller in main dining than US ships.  The buffet is good, I especially liked the fix your own sub sandwich, and the pizza is usually the best at sea.

We are booked on Magnifica in April, 3 night cruise, which will be our 8th MSc cruise.

I’m sorry but I had to laugh at “international passenger base, some of which do not have same etiquette when it comes to the buffet”. I want to cruise on the cruise line you go on for this etiquette you see!! 🤣

• Haha 1

Been on three MSC cruises and had a great time. Last year we did 7 days on Seaside in Aurea balcony. Going on Seashore in a couple months. Beautiful ships!

We also read the negative reviews but did not experience anything like some of the stuff I read. We found the staff very friendly and helpful. Food was great and pizza is delicious. I was not happy when the Aurea bar was not open while docked at Ocean Cay for two days. We rarely go to shows but we did enjoy a Michael Jackson show in the past. Not sure what is currently being offered but my kids do go to shows and their revies are from yuck to wow!

It appears MSC removed the thermal spa as a benefit of an aurea balcony so not really sure why someone would pay much extra for that class.

7 minutes ago, wayne_trisha said:

It appears MSC removed the thermal spa as a benefit of an aurea balcony so not really sure why someone would pay much extra for that class.

I'm thinking that it never really left.

It seems to have been a website update to add the "upon reservation" part. 

48 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I'm thinking that it never really left.

It seems to have been a website update to add the "upon reservation" part. 

With MSC you never know, were they hoping no one would notice it was removed and only added it back after seeing comments on various social media platforms.

15 minutes ago, wayne_trisha said:

image.png.aa8f231a3fafc08e2ad7711ae55f8de7.pngJust did a fake booking and I don't see it.

It was re added to the UK website, a TA friend in the USA says that it was still missing from the US site.

On the US site, the drop down menus for all 3 experiences aren't expanding to show what's included. Previously, under "Relaxation & Wellbeing", it showed included spa access. The words and arrow are still there but no other explanation/expansion.

1 minute ago, sidari said:

With MSC you never know, were they hoping no one would notice it was removed and only added it back after seeing comments on various social media platforms.

When it comes to MSC, I generally lean towards incompetence instead of nefarious for things that seem wrong. I'm more inclined to believe that someone on the IT side messed up instead of MSC removing something as integral as Aurea Spa access from the Aurea experience. 

But I agree. With MSC, you never know...

Having just come off the Seashore, I can just say you get what you pay for. The ship is clean & beautiful but we found the layout difficult to manage. We missed being able to stand at the bow - you only get that area if you are yacht club.   And, we were less than impressed with the food in the main dining room & the service. 
But, for the price, we’d go MSC again, especially for a quick 4 day getaway. 

On 1/16/2024 at 8:04 PM, aimcat said:

Still trying to get some insight on this cruise. Having only done Carnival and Royal before I am not sure about MSC? I have read a lot of bad! 

Just got off 8 days ago.

Very nice ship overall. Was in YC so my experience is different.

If you decide to try it, use a travel agent. I can't stress that enough.

The biggest bad is customer service.  Keep in mind Italian ship so some things are different. 

3 hours ago, aimcat said:

Different as in?

YC is essentially “first class on steroids”. It is a class of service that includes its own luxury area of the ship, dining room, lounge, decks, pool, hot tubs, bar, personal butler service. It is freakin’ awesome. The rest of the ship is a “normal” cruise. YC is not. 

• Like 3

In our experience “international clientele” is 70% plus of MSC cruising out of US ports. And yes, we don’t share the same “etiquette”!  Pack your patience! And reach out to meet others 

• Like 2

On 1/11/2024 at 4:11 PM, aimcat said:

Indy - Well we got sick 2nd to last day. Turned out it was Flu and sickest we have ever been. So this of course made us hold a grudge. On top of that...ship seemed worn, room was rough and not clean, food bad, service also bad. Just all that just made it the worst cruise I have ever done and my fiance' first cruise and a bad way to start. 

You're blaming flu on the ship?  

And anyone who starts off with "How bad is ..." has already decided they're gonna have a terrible time.  Maybe cruises aren't for you. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2024 at 2:52 PM, Tierun said:

What was your issue with Indy? I've sailed both last year and Indy made me realize that I can no longer sail on older ships. Seashore was nice and new, so that alone was a win. Also we had an aurea balcony on deck 9 which are extended and have loungers. So nice. 

I just bid and got upgraded to Aurea on deck 9.  Looking at the layout on the Seashore, this isn't a very good location. Am I wrong?

On 1/22/2024 at 8:01 PM, TrinaLC said:

YC is essentially “first class on steroids”. It is a class of service that includes its own luxury area of the ship, dining room, lounge, decks, pool, hot tubs, bar, personal butler service. It is freakin’ awesome. The rest of the ship is a “normal” cruise. YC is not. 

No no no..it’s not good at all..pass the word… 🙂

36 minutes ago, bob10173 said:

I just bid and got upgraded to Aurea on deck 9.  Looking at the layout on the Seashore, this isn't a very good location. Am I wrong?

DW and I really enjoyed it. It's an extended balcony overlooking deck 8 with loungers. That extra outdoor space was a plus for us. Also the spa/ thermal suite was right below on deck 8. It was in no way noisy.

• Like 1