Flip Phone

Hello, We are going to be sailing on Anthem on Feb 25. We don't own smart phones but I am computer literate we have our set sail pass with an arrival time of 10:00AM  My question is can us bommers pull this off with only a flip phone? Can we do our health check online (no app) before we leave the house. We will be bringing a laptop with us on this trip, Can we do the muster drill online or on the cabin tv when we get in our cabin?  Thanks, Joe

• Like 1

You do not need a smart phone to cruise with RCI. It might make things a little easier, but it is not needed. Everything can be done after you arrive at the pier. The muster drill can be viewed on the TV in your room. After viewing the drill you'll go to your muster station to check in.

• Like 1

You won't even need the flip phone.

You can do the health questions and photo when you arrive at the port for checkin. You don't need anything for muster drill.

We don't own smartphones, either.  I'm curious how you got an arrival time and set sail pass.  Our booking directed us to skip the checkin, "print this page", and just show up at the port.

I assume you are taking a laptop for other reasons?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, diesel1973 said:

Nice to know that there are other people not controled by an I-phone!!!

Yes there are still a few left who can’t learn new things or who don’t want  to pay for a smartphone. iPhones don’t control people, we control iPhones. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, teacherman said:

I also have a "flip" phone.  We just upgraded to it.  It is one of the latest "smart" phones.  I also had a "flip" phone a long time ago.  I like this one a lot more than the old one.

You make a good o point there are now smartphones that flip or fold. I would worry about the durability of those smart flip phones at this time. If Apple ever comes out with one I might consider it. 

Edited by Charles4515

It was "free" as long as we stayed with our plan for the next 2 years.  We like them.  No problems after 6 months.  We took it on our last cruise in December and sold our house while using it to sign papers over the e-mail.  Nothing like sitting by the ship's pool with a cocktail and selling your house.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

You won't even need the flip phone.

You can do the health questions and photo when you arrive at the port for checkin. You don't need anything for muster drill.

We don't own smartphones, either.  I'm curious how you got an arrival time and set sail pass.  Our booking directed us to skip the checkin, "print this page", and just show up at the port.

I assume you are taking a laptop for other reasons?

Thanks for all the help. We got the arrival time and set sail pass online at midnight 45 days from sailing. I am computer literate but do not own a smart phone. In my original post I misspoke and said can we pull if off with a flip phone? What I should have said was can we pull it off with no phone and a laptop even if the laptop would be needed. again thanks for the help.  As a side note we sailed out of Bayonne through super storm Sandy..........good times  

• Like 2

So nice to hear that I'm the only one who doesn't feel the need for a smartphone. Woman's clothes tend not to have pockets large enough to carry them & I really don't want to go back to a backpack! Still, more places offer no option to "Scan this ugly code" including my Alma Mater. Oh well, no other option means you don't want my business or contribution-Simple!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, goinmobile68 said:

. Oh well, no other option means you don't want my business or contribution-Simple!

All my female friends and relatives seem to manage. Since most people have smartphones they probably won’t notice they lost your business. 

• Like 2

On 1/13/2024 at 1:41 PM, diesel1973 said:

I have friends who do not own smart phones,smart TV’s ,and any kind of computer.I have not used a computer in 10 years.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, goinmobile68 said:

So nice to hear that I'm the only one who doesn't feel the need for a smartphone. Woman's clothes tend not to have pockets large enough to carry them & I really don't want to go back to a backpack! Still, more places offer no option to "Scan this ugly code" including my Alma Mater. Oh well, no other option means you don't want my business or contribution-Simple!

My iPhone fits in my back pocket of my jeans no problem. Or I slide it in the pocket of my purse. They aren’t that big.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 1:08 PM, smokeybandit said:

For anyone over age 35-40, a flip phone will always be one of these:

image.thumb.png.449ba1b55ea0153d9be9ea4fa8814bf7.png

Looks super cool in those 90's retro party on Lido deck.

On 1/13/2024 at 1:41 PM, diesel1973 said:

What an interesting choice of words. Are you “controlled” by computer? 🙂 

7 minutes ago, Tatka said:

iPad is almost identical to iPhone. Not all of them can be used to call. 🙂 

I know that .I never said that I use my iPad to make calls.I have a phone attached to a wall.I am in my 80’s .Life was much simpler before technology and I do not recall people complaining about not being able to do things electronically.

• Like 3