Our Vibe passes were canceled 24hrs prior to sailing

jojo99

So we are sailing on the Encore tomorrow and we pre booked and fully paid our Vibe passes for the 10 day sail. We just received an email from NCL advising us that due to a “glitch” in their system they cannot accommodate our booking and the passes will be cancelled and refunded. We planned our trip based on having the passes - forgoing some excursions to enjoy the Vibe etc so we are very disappointed. Has this happened to anyone? Do we have any recourse? 

Edited by jojo99
  • Like 3

• jojo99 changed the title to Our Vibe passes were canceled 24hrs prior to sailing

I would be so mad. I have passes for our spring break cruise. This would make me not want to go. I love children. I have 3 of my own and I am a teacher. Yes, I know I am sailing during a high kid time cause it's when I can sail. It's also why I bought the Vibe passes. Just a small get away with adults only. I am so sorry this happened.

Dee

• Like 1

We experienced a similar "glitch" when our Le Bistro reservation was cancelled one week prior to our cruise earlier this year. Sad to see NCL is still inconveniencing their guests with last minute "glitches". Sorry this happened to you so late.

Wow, I would be totally ticked!  Even though I would never buy Vibe passes myself I understand how valuable they are to many people for good reason.  It could totally change the way you plan/envision your cruise.  Reminds me of the "just after final payment" port changes we have experienced!

• Like 7

get to the ship as early as you can and try to purchase passes on the day. there has been much discussion of this in several threads, but the prevailing thought among people who have actually done this (including me) is that a certain number of passes are made available on embarkation day. now, if they have proactively canceled your (and perhaps others') passes it's entirely possible that they will have none for sale on the day... they may have already eaten up that allotment. but it's worth a try,

assuming you are unsuccessful in getting passes, speak to guest services, speak to the general manager and/or escalate your concern (via email) to the corporate office in miami. explicitly state each time that you booked the trip around having vibe access and that the cruise is not as worthwhile without it. be polite, but firm. explain that you would like to be compensated for the inconvenience.

NCL seems to max out compensation at $500 OBC for each passenger when there is a major screwup, my best guesstimate of comp for this would be about what you paid for the vibe, which i assume would be around $350.

glitch or not, one day notice is not enough for you to make alternate plans or plead your case. NCL, of course, is not required to do anything except refund your money, but you have a very strong case and some sort of service recovery is likely.

alternatively, before you board, you can try to call NCL and explain the situation and see if they would cancel and refund the entire cruise (if that's something you'd want to have them do). it's unlikely they would. and it's also unlikely that they will even talk to you... referring all matters to personnel on site at the pier for a cruise about to embark. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jojo99 said:

I appreciate the comments everyone, we are embarking in a few hours. Will let you know how it goes.

Good luck to you!  We would similarly be upset with such a last minute cancellation of that specific perk as it is a component of our vacation we plan on. 

As mentioned, seek out the General Manager and work to either get the passes back (maybe the glitch was a glitch?)  I would request a comped Spa Pass - or an OBC of similar value to the vibe that was taken away.  

Just cancelling the pass and refunding it is not an apology for their "glitch"

1 hour ago, jojo99 said:

I appreciate the comments everyone, we are embarking in a few hours. Will let you know how it goes.

Have a great cruise.  At the very least they owe you some OBC.  Can't imagine what would have happened to cause the removal of your prepaid vibe passes.   How long ahead of time did you purchase your vibe passes?

12 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I wonder what large "money spending" group decided to snag a bunch of passes.....🤔

I would try to get Spa passes....maybe some OBC, too. 

Ditto.

Perhaps it might help OP's case if Vibe is blocked off/rented out and save some proof (pictures) of that.

Despite the "glitch", enjoy your cruise OP. Perhaps you can arrange some last minute ship's excursions or through Shorex.. Group and still make the most of the cruise.

• Like 1

the OP has a very strong case. 

similar to having a confirmed upgrade to business class on an airline that then decides to downgrade a passenger due to a booking snafu or because of a last minute booking by a VIP customer... the OP has a confirmation for paid vibe passes.

i would be shocked if the OP were not successful in getting some sort of compensation.

• Like 1

Speculation on my part.  Was the "glitch" allowing prebooking of passes? Resulting in all prebooked passes canceled. If so OP would have a good chance of booking on board.

not sure i follow... pre-booking the vibe has been allowed for a year or so. it's a thing. the "glitch" refers most likely to a legitimate glitch in which more passes were sold than were available OR it's NCL's way of avoiding explaining that they sold all or a large portion of the vibe in bulk to a large group after they had already committed that same vibe capacity to individual travelers.

13 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I wonder what large "money spending" group decided to snag a bunch of passes.....🤔

I would try to get Spa passes....maybe some OBC, too. 

That was the first thing I thought, too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JoeTec said:

On our roll call there are lots of people saying theirs was cancelled also 

I didn't book vibe so didn't get the notice

Interesting to say the least.  NCL has a lot of splaining to do.

If what probably happened, booking to a group and then after the fact kicking out the people who have already paid in full, that is not fair in any way shape or form.  If so I hope they are compensated above and beyond what is customary.

Edited by seemoreroyals
  • Like 5

I suspect this is more money grab than glitch. Some large group wanted the Vibe and got it. I bet lots of people were informed of a “glitch” shortly before cruising. Annoying and one of the worst realities of cruising.

They don’t guarantee ports, restaurants, bars, entertainment or venues will be available as advertised and booked. I get weather impacts ports, things break or require maintenance and people get sick, but closing restaurants and places like the Vibe to the whole ship to cater to a group is extremely frustrating and makes me angry when they do it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jojo99 said:

So we are sailing on the Encore tomorrow and we pre booked and fully paid our Vibe passes for the 10 day sail. We just received an email from NCL advising us that due to a “glitch” in their system they cannot accommodate our booking and the passes will be cancelled and refunded. We planned our trip based on having the passes - forgoing some excursions to enjoy the Vibe etc so we are very disappointed. Has this happened to anyone? Do we have any recourse? 

Like everyone else that replied,  I too, would not be happy at all.  The Vibe is a big part of our cruising and we have no desire to be on a large ship without the sanctuary of the Vibe. 

I hope NCL makes good of your situation and does the right thing.  Sorry this happened to you. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

that they sold all or a large portion of the vibe in bulk to a large group

I'm not a Vibe person, but if I were I'm not sure I'd be happy to still have my pass if there's a large group taking it over and being raucous...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

not sure i follow... pre-booking the vibe has been allowed for a year or so. it's a thing. the "glitch" refers most likely to a legitimate glitch in which more passes were sold than were available OR it's NCL's way of avoiding explaining that they sold all or a large portion of the vibe in bulk to a large group after they had already committed that same vibe capacity to individual travelers.

That's interesting as my cruise last year and upcoming cruise in April is not allowing pre-booking.

Edited by davencl

43 minutes ago, hallux said:

I'm not a Vibe person, but if I were I'm not sure I'd be happy to still have my pass if there's a large group taking it over and being raucous...

well, if a group does a “buy out” of the vibe, it’s just another space that the group has access to… it’s no longer really the vibe. they can hold parties, serve elaborate buffets, exceed the normal capacity and be as raucous as they want. they could even smoke and bring in kids, if NCL agreed to all that up front. 

if a group is just buying a large number of passes to the vibe, and it isn’t a total buy out, then i would imagine regular vibe rules would apply and, yes, the group would be mixed in with regular passengers. raucousness is not permitted, but, without a doubt, any time you put a large group within another group of unrelated people, the large group does tend to dominate.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, davencl said:

That's interesting as my cruise last year and upcoming cruise in April is not allowing pre-booking.

Did you call or try to book online?   We were able to secure passes for two 2025 cruises by calling.

I'm onboard Encore now.  I was at guest services earlier and saw them  talking to an unhappy guy.  GS  was showing him a lengthy list of those who were cancelled.  I think they were offering him $50 OBC which doesn't seem like enough to me🤨. I feel sorry sorry for those who planned on Vibe.

• Like 3