Silversea's Parent Organization, RCL introduces Chief Dog Officer

WesW

Royal Caribbean’s Icon of the Seas to Feature Chief Dog Officer - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

The new Icon of the Seas will feature a Chief Dog Officer when it enters service later this month.

According to Royal Caribbean International’s social media profiles, the golden retriever will live onboard while serving as “family dog” of Icon’s crew.

The new crew member, Rover, boarded the ship in Puerto Rico, along with its Chief of Staff Alison Hubble.

“As a crew member on the Icon, Rover’s job is to bring joy and happiness to her fellow crew and guests onboard,” Royal Caribbean said in a social media video.

Among its activities onboard, the Chief Dog Officer is poised to hang out on the bridge with the captain, and also perform daily walks across the ship, the company added.

The five-month-old golden retriever will also be able to “explore the Caribbean shores and beautiful ports,” Royal Caribbean said.

The Icon of the Seas is currently undergoing final preparations ahead of its maiden voyage. Starting on Jan. 27, the vessel is set to offer a series of week-long cruises to the Caribbean and the Bahamas.

During its inaugural season, the Icon of the Seas will visit several destinations in the region, including Costa Maya and Cozumel in Mexico; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands; Basseterre, St. Kitts, and Roatan, Honduras.

Delivered to Royal Caribbean International in late November, the LNG-powered cruise ship recently arrived at its homeport in Miami for the first time.

Taking over the title from its fleet mate Wonder of the Seas, the Icon will serve as the world’s largest cruise ship.

At 250,800 tons, the 365-meter-long ship was built by the Meyer Turku in Finland, and can accommodate over 5,610 guests at double occupancy, in addition to 2,350 crew members.

A sister ship, the Star of the Seas, is currently under construction at the same shipyard. Set to debut in 2025, the vessel will offer cruises departing from Port Canaveral.

• Like 3

It’s good that it’s a retriever! He can retrieve all those books left unattended on sunbeds left to reserve.

Speaking of which, on my Dawn sailing just finished, one of the guests said they saw one of the deckhands taking tip money from a guest early in the morning to keep their chairs safe.  Placing an object on 4 chairs and guard for them until they eventually turned up to use several hours later. I thought they were meant to stop this practice, not earn from it! Rover…. Fetch! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Nobody has yet mentioned the hairs everywhere, drool and dribble on the floor, toileting in public areas, and scary snarling and other unpleasant behaviour. 

But don't worry, I'll try and keep OH under control. 

• Haha 5

Well when working in Tasmania the Hospital had a black Labrador as a therapy dog. did 3 rounds of the ED a day. Was fantastic. The moment I remember the most was an elderly  lady who lived by herself and found by her daughter on the floor on the morning visit. That lady spoke to no one even her daughter but after visited by the Labrador we couldn't stop her talking.

As well one of the Hotels in Town had and older Golden labrador as it's mascot. guests were encouraged to take it for a walk. by mid afternoon the dog had had enough walking. It featured prominently in positive reviews of the hotel.

So well done to RCL.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

I thought it must be 1st April when I read this.  Even a true dog lover (and I know TTS has some lovely dogs)  must surely think this is a crazy idea?

PXL_20240104_212634482.thumb.jpg.b8a5b4958f5a7f0d5492a758906a1eb5.jpgPXL_20240107_123007820.thumb.jpg.c3a090c74f6f84a2b4a62033317f4e29.jpg

• Like 2

On my last cruise, (non-SS) a passenger had a "service dog".  Service dog was like a toy poodle mix.  No value judgements, but it seemed terribly out of place and just  in the way on tendering, disembarkation (no pun intended) and in other crowded areas.

31 minutes ago, CardowMD said:

I would if the dogs are actually drug dogs in disguise? Last two cruise on Celebrity had people in adjacent cabins smoking pot in room and balconies that wafted our way.

Cheaper than buying your own. 

• Haha 1

On 1/17/2024 at 3:08 AM, Tothesunset said:

Nobody has yet mentioned the hairs everywhere, drool and dribble on the floor, toileting in public areas, and scary snarling and other unpleasant behaviour. 

But don't worry, I'll try and keep OH under control. 

Are you referring to guests with a drink package on that cruise line or the dog? 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We are booked on Silver Dawn for the 2025 World Cruise. If they have a ship's dog assigned officially onboard, and are welcoming passengers to bring their dogs, then we will most likely cancel. I've had some bad experiences with dogs in the past, starting as a child, and would not feel uncomfortable having to handle this for almost 5 months.

3 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

We are booked on Silver Dawn for the 2025 World Cruise. If they have a ship's dog assigned officially onboard, and are welcoming passengers to bring their dogs, then we will most likely cancel. I've had some bad experiences with dogs in the past, starting as a child, and would not feel uncomfortable having to handle this for almost 5 months.

A dog for the ship’s crew is being trialled on Icon of the Seas.  There has never been any mention of Silversea being involved in a similar trial.

• Like 2