Do I need a passport for roundtrip cruise from Florida to the Bahamas?

5 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Is this a serious question? 
I am in cruise groups for a long time, and I see a reaction. It used to be a strong opposition, but now most people will advise you to get a passport. People finally getting used to idea of having passports. 

Yes this is a serious question.  You stated it as though it were fact:

"But this is why most of people now do get passports."

I was curious to know how you knew this.  I figured you had some statistics to back it up.  Or is it just your opinion? 

I don't think being in "cruise groups" and "seeing a reaction" proves anything.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

If the passport is not expired and will not expire before the trip is over, an ill-informed staff members shouldn't be a problem. And once we traveled with a passport which expired the day before we returned. We were not questioned about it.

Agreed, it "shouldn't" be a problem, but it can be when check-in staff and their supervisors are ill-informed. For a Boston-Montreal cruise pre-pandemic, we proffered  our Nexus card at check-in, but we were told that they would not suffice for entry into Canada and that we wouldn't be allowed to board without passports. As we had our passports with us - we never leave Canada without them - there wasn't a problem in the long run, but there certainly would have been had we not had our passports.

In the OP's case, the passport "shouldn't" pose a problem, but it never hurts to carry backup documentation, just in case.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Yes this is a serious question.  You stated it as though it were fact:

"But this is why most of people now do get passports."

I was curious to know how you knew this.  I figured you had some statistics to back it up.  Or is it just your opinion? 

I don't think being in "cruise groups" and "seeing a reaction" proves anything.

I also see way more people presenting passports on checkin. Not all of course, but way more than 20 years when we started cruising. You can get more hints.

I am not sure why you feel we need to argue about this. I stated why passport is important. Given that you only need 1 passport for 10 years this should be an easy decision, but you do you of course.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tatka said:

I also see way more people presenting passports on checkin. Not all of course, but way more than 20 years when we started cruising. You can get more hints.

I am not sure why you feel we need to argue about this. I stated why passport is important. Given that you only need 1 passport for 10 years this should be an easy decision, but you do you of course.

I'm not arguing about it.  In fact, I agree that having a passport is important.  I have one.

I was only asking how you knew that more and more people have them.

25 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

probably because of the record passport application numbers in the last couple of years. It was on the news.

I think the person who does cruise line check who posts on CC mentioned there were less documentation problems these days because there were more cruisers with passports. 

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

I'm not arguing about it.  In fact, I agree that having a passport is important.  I have one.

I was only asking how you knew that more and more people have them.

The line debarking is different for passengers without passports.  With passports you're off quicker and easier at most ports.  With BC the line is slow but still not long as the vast majority appear to be going out the passport line.

11 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

The line debarking is different for passengers without passports.  With passports you're off quicker and easier at most ports.  With BC the line is slow but still not long as the vast majority appear to be going out the passport line.

I don't disagree. I was simply asking a poster how they knew that more people were using passports now than in the past.

10 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

If I were in the OP's situation I would probably just use my passport for this cruise and renew it later based on my future travel needs (so if I weren't actually traveling for a year I would wait to renew until just before that trip, allowing enough time for standard processing).

Cruising to Bermuda in August, but will have plenty of time to renew when I return from this trip in March. Thanks for the info!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I don't disagree. I was simply asking a poster how they knew that more people were using passports now than in the past.

I'm sure it is just speculation on the posters part. However, the state department numbers indicate more Americans have passports now than in the past it stands to reason that more people cruising are cruising with passports.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/about-us/reports-and-statistics.html

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm sure it is just speculation on the posters part. However, the state department numbers indicate more Americans have passports now than in the past it stands to reason that more people cruising are cruising with passports.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/about-us/reports-and-statistics.html

Interesting that State Dept stats show, in 2023, less than half the American population had a valid passport.

World travel has always been a big part of my life (and many of those on this board), I have forgotten, or failed to appreciate, the it is not for many many people.

• Like 1

Seems that people here have not attempted an on-line check in with a passport that expires in the 6 month window- the system will not let you check in with that passport.  I just did it yesterday, and it would not let me.  Which is what prompted me to post about the enhanced DL- since that was an easier solution for this travel and then renew the passport in March.

This is in spite of the web page telling me that our passports will be fine for the cruises, since none of the countries require the 6 month window.

We are taking them anyway, and will back them up with the enhanced DLs.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alfaeric said:

Seems that people here have not attempted an on-line check in with a passport that expires in the 6 month window- the system will not let you check in with that passport.  I just did it yesterday, and it would not let me.  Which is what prompted me to post about the enhanced DL- since that was an easier solution for this travel and then renew the passport in March.

This is in spite of the web page telling me that our passports will be fine for the cruises, since none of the countries require the 6 month window.

We are taking them anyway, and will back them up with the enhanced DLs.  

Good information... Thank you

23 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Interesting that State Dept stats show, in 2023, less than half the American population had a valid passport.

That does not mean that less than half the people who cruise do so without a passport.

A lot of Americans never left their state in their entire lifetime, let alone the US.

20 hours ago, alfaeric said:

Seems that people here have not attempted an on-line check in with a passport that expires in the 6 month window- the system will not let you check in with that passport.  I just did it yesterday, and it would not let me. 

We have - many times. As a matter of fact, we've just cruised in November 2023 with a passport expiring in January 2024. We renewed it in December upon our return. Closed loop, didn't include any countries with funky rules.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

4 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

That does not mean that less than half the people who cruise do so without a passport.

I never said that’s what it meant. I said, according to the state department numbers, less than half the American population held a valid passport. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

We have - many times. As a matter of fact, we've just cruised in November 2023 with a passport expiring in January 2024. We renewed it in December upon our return. Closed loop, didn't include any countries with funky rules.

Glad it worked for you.  But at least be aware that it might not.  Again, when I checked in a few days ago, it would not let us check in with a passport that expires later this year.  Closed loop, and according to the RCI website, none of our destinations have funky rules.  Thankfully, we have enhanced drivers licenses to check use.

Edit- looks like we have a country that does expect 6 months.  Meaning you have to know which country does and which country does not have the requirement.  People need to be aware of requirements of the random country that might have the requirement.

While you can wade through the state dept website- but here are the commonly cruised to countries that have 6 month passport requirements- Antigua and Barbuda, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Martinique, St. Barts, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago.

Edited by alfaeric

7 hours ago, alfaeric said:

While you can wade through the state dept website- but here are the commonly cruised to countries that have 6 month passport requirements- Antigua and Barbuda, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Martinique, St. Barts, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago.

I don't know where you acquired the information that these countries having a 6- month passport requirement, but you may want to double-check your findings as at least one country does not have such a requirement.

According to the Saint Lucia Tourism Authority, "A visitor to Saint Lucia shall be permitted entry as long as his/her passport is valid for the duration of the stay in Saint Lucia and he/she has proof of a confirmed onward journey."

Similarly, the U.S. Department of State says that US passports must be "Valid for duration of stay in Saint Lucia".

I've not bothered checking the other destinations, but encourage travellers to do their own research.

19 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I don't know where you acquired the information that these countries having a 6- month passport requirement, but you may want to double-check your findings as at least one country does not have such a requirement.

According to the Saint Lucia Tourism Authority, "A visitor to Saint Lucia shall be permitted entry as long as his/her passport is valid for the duration of the stay in Saint Lucia and he/she has proof of a confirmed onward journey."

Similarly, the U.S. Department of State says that US passports must be "Valid for duration of stay in Saint Lucia".

I've not bothered checking the other destinations, but encourage travellers to do their own research.

It was a page that claimed to go through the state dept pages for the info- apparently that's not fully accurate.  I did see Antigua on a state dept page, which is a stop on our upcoming cruise.  

But still, people need to know that there are countries that are cruise destinations that require a valid passport 6 months beyond when they are scheduled to leave.  And when that comes up, you will not be able to check in on-line with that passport.

And, again, for those who CAN get an enhanced drivers license, I would very much suggest it, since it works in replacement for a passport or the DL/BC pair for closed loop Caribbean cruises.

20 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

People google for research and see the requirements for flying in to a destination. The requirements for cruise passengers are usually different than flying to a destination in the Caribbean.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alfaeric said:

Glad it worked for you.  But at least be aware that it might not.  Again, when I checked in a few days ago, it would not let us check in with a passport that expires later this year.  Closed loop, and according to the RCI website, none of our destinations have funky rules.  Thankfully, we have enhanced drivers licenses to check use.

Edit- looks like we have a country that does expect 6 months.  Meaning you have to know which country does and which country does not have the requirement.  People need to be aware of requirements of the random country that might have the requirement.

On your list ONLY Martinique has a passport requirement at all for cruise passengers; and even they don’t have a 6 month rule. 
Passport information on the state dept site does not take cruising into consideration. 

3 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

And, again, for those who CAN get an enhanced drivers license, I would very much suggest it, since it works in replacement for a passport or the DL/BC pair for closed loop Caribbean cruises.

The EDL is intended for people along the Canadian border who travel back and forth over the border regularly. And you can't fly with international with it. If you have one great but I don't see the point in spending extra for one.if you don't drive often over the border. You could not use it instead of a passport to travel by cruise to Martinique. 

On 1/20/2024 at 12:00 PM, Tatka said:

Let’s say something happened; for example you didn’t get on ship on time or got into hospital and need to  fly home. You cannot fly without passport. 

I believe long time ago you could fly without it.

Every thread, every cruise line on Cruise Critic this comes up. Before I get to my answer both my wife and I have held US Passports since we were first married forty years ago. We've sailed on forty-three cruises and enjoyed every single one, the Icon is next.
 To the point. We've had personal experiences twice, once with family and once with friends in the past five years when a family needed to return home due to a death. Neither had passports, and they were delivered to the ships agent, documents were processed and both were airborne headed back to Houston before the ship left the port.
 No doubt there are situations I have read here and on media outlets, but almost to the case there are other circumstances like a hospital bill or something else to contribute to the delay.
 The bottom line is there are not as many absolute statements as one might think.

See you at sea.

Edited by BallFour4
  • Like 1

Amazing how a simple question with a simple answer turns into a wacky thread with all kind of theories. The unexpired yet soon to be expired passport to the Bahamas is perfectly fine. Period.

True story, on a quick cruise and stay to the Bahamas, my daughter has no passport and forgot her birth certificate. I happen to have a copy of her birth record. We went to the port and the port agent ranted and raved but ultimately accepted the document and we sailed. When we arrived, the Bahamas Customs agent didn't even flinch, same scenario on the way back to Florida. No issues. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BallFour4 said:

o the point. We've had personal experiences twice, once with family and once with friends in the past five years when a family needed to return home due to a death. Neither had passports, and they were delivered to the ships agent, documents were processed and both were airborne headed back to Houston before the ship left the port.

Several of us, @sparks1093 most persistantly over the years, have posted that info but the doomsayers won't accept it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1