What are your thoughts on discussing politics in the MDR?

thermal

Even among your table mates, political discussion should not be in the MDR or anywhere others can hear. On the Volendam a few months ago there was a fellow loudly telling his table mates all about what he’d seen on his “news” channel of choice, and spouting his opinions on the upcoming election in the US. Slowly the tables all around him cleared. We also left without dessert. 

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

I'm int the witness protection program .....

Shhh. I don't think you are supposed to reveal that. I think the US Marshalls would have a fit if they knew you were revealing that.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

ask me why I don't talk like Scarlett O'Hara in Gone with the Wind (I am from Atlanta).

I'm from Atlanta also and folks out West here regularly ask why I don't have much of a Southern accent. I tell them that the Northern nuns would beat it out of me 🙂

• Haha 1

Reading some of these comments I'm wondering if I misunderstood what political talk actually is. When I wrote my first comment on this thread the situation I was referring to we just happen to have interest in the same issue though different opinions about its legislation however we never talked about politicians, political parties or elections. I guess it makes me wonder when does a shared interest in an issue end and political talk begins🤔

• Like 2

15 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Unfortunately we are inundated with US news and politics.  Some people are fascinated by what happens south of us. I know  people who spend more time watching your politicians than ours. 

My hope is that the reporting up there is much more factual and much less opinionated and satirical than it is down here.  However, based on the few conversations I've had with my northern friends, it is not. 🥺

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

My hope is that the reporting up there is much more factual and much less opinionated and satirical than it is down here.  However, based on the few conversations I've had with my northern friends, it is not. 

We had a prominent TV journalist retire recently and she said whenever she interviewed a left leaning politician she would get hate messages claiming she was pandering to the left while also getting hate messages that she was unnecessarily aggressive to the interviewee and showing right wing bias. Then when she interviewed right wing politicians she got hate messages that she was unnecessarily aggressive and showing left wing bias while also getting hate messages that she was pandering to the right😂. It reminded me of a meme that said "Facts are the opinions you agree with, opinions are the facts you disagree with".

Edited by ilikeanswers

8 hours ago, Aquahound said:

My hope is that the reporting up there is much more factual and much less opinionated and satirical than it is down here.  However, based on the few conversations I've had with my northern friends, it is not. 🥺

We can all hope for facts but today it seems to be all opinion.  A lot of stuff we get is just a "re-broadcast" of a short report from one of the big US networks . 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Reading some of these comments I'm wondering if I misunderstood what political talk actually is. When I wrote my first comment on this thread the situation I was referring to we just happen to have interest in the same issue though different opinions about its legislation however we never talked about politicians, political parties or elections. I guess it makes me wonder when does a shared interest in an issue end and political talk begins🤔

Issue based discussions might be worse depending on the issue. Starting conversations on gun control, abortion, gay marriage, capital punishment, immigration, racism, climate change, marijuana legalization, vaccination and homelessness might not result in a pleasant dinner table discussion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Right.  It's just to be shared with very close friends, family, and everyone/anyone who frequents Zillow or Redfin... 🤣

GC

12 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The country property tax department too. We can look up properties on their web site. 😎

Well you can't do that without an address and I'm not in the habit of giving THAT out either!

32 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Well you can't do that without an address and I'm not in the habit of giving THAT out either!

You can do it with a name but I don’t post my last name on Cruise Critic and in the guidelines we are discouraged from posting those. The social media that is a problem is Facebook. Roll calls are popular there and I would say dangerous. You can use a fake name there but it is against their policy. Facebook has no privacy, they make money off of tracking you and knowing everything about you. I will stick to Cruise Critic roll calls. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

Issue based discussions might be worse depending on the issue. Starting conversations on gun control, abortion, gay marriage, capital punishment, immigration, racism, climate change, marijuana legalization, vaccination and homelessness might not result in a pleasant dinner table discussion. 

Reading this thread it seems there is something that annoys everyone from Taylor Swift, to what you do for a living, to politics and issues😂. I guess you can't just let a conversation flow anywhere anymore else you hit a landmine😱

47 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Reading this thread it seems there is something that annoys everyone from Taylor Swift, to what you do for a living, to politics and issues😂. I guess you can't just let a conversation flow anywhere anymore else you hit a landmine😱

Some issues are more contentious than others, people often have strong opinions on them and unless you are spoiling for a fight they are best avoided.

3 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I rather agree with you. I feel that people take "ownership" of way too many issues now. What used to be interesting topics of conversation have turned into "My way or the highway" debates. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2024 at 12:06 PM, Elaine5715 said:

I don't even ask "What do you do" so no, I an not engaging in any political, religious or even "which way does the toilet paper roll go?" discussions with strangers at dinner.  

A human to a human is a wolf.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I rather agree with you. I feel that people take "ownership" of way too many issues now. What used to be interesting topics of conversation have turned into "My way or the highway" debates. 

Sadly, you are right.  We have entered the age of self - folks seem to be increasingly opinionated (while often less well-informed), and, to put it bluntly, tend to act as if they were “brought up by wolves”.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 10:18 PM, Aquahound said:

Thank you!  In my experience, it's been Canadians.  No offense to our northern neighbors but gosh, when we meet them on board, it's almost always certain they will bring up politics....and not their politics but US politics.  Good heavens.  

Agree

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I recall from scary stories that a human to a wolf is dinner.  

But what does “A human to a human is a wolf” mean?

The current topic is a perfect example of meaning (I just copied for a quick reply): Homo homini lupus, or in its unabridged form Homo homini lupus est, is a Latin proverb meaning "A man is a wolf to another man," or more tersely "Man is wolf to man." It is used to refer to situations where a person has behaved comparably to a wolf. In this case, the wolf represents predatory, cruel, and generally inhuman qualities; in essence, the person is held to be uncivilized.

56 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

The current topic is a perfect example of meaning (I just copied for a quick reply): Homo homini lupus, or in its unabridged form Homo homini lupus est, is a Latin proverb meaning "A man is a wolf to another man," or more tersely "Man is wolf to man." It is used to refer to situations where a person has behaved comparably to a wolf. In this case, the wolf represents predatory, cruel, and generally inhuman qualities; in essence, the person is held to be uncivilized.

Well, no wonder Canadians want to talk about US politics.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

That is smart marketing for a saiking out of Texas. Texans are proud of their state. It used to be an independent country. I was surprised when I moved to Texas that the US and Texas flag were everywhere. Now I am used to it. 

I sometimes wear my “screw you were from Texas “ T-shirt when cruising out of Galveston, it’s a very cool song by one of my favorite singers Ray Wyle Hubbard.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Well,.. In the end, “we are all fruit.”

It’s a philosophical toast statement from “My big fat Greek wedding” movie.

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 1