What are your thoughts on discussing politics in the MDR?

thermal

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I rather agree with you. I feel that people take "ownership" of way too many issues now. What used to be interesting topics of conversation have turned into "My way or the highway" debates. 

Which topics would those be? There have always been "hot-button" issues that are best avoided in the MDR, at family holiday dinners and anywhere else you hope to have a civil conversation. 

4 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Which topics would those be? There have always been "hot-button" issues that are best avoided in the MDR, at family holiday dinners and anywhere else you hope to have a civil conversation. 

Since when did “hot” topics become uncivil?  I don’t remember them that way prior to around 9 years ago.  It appears, the worst in people was developed (or swam up to the surface) since then.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Pop stars, sports teams, actors -- one cannot simply like/discuss them on the basis of their talent or success. 

Books -- used to be good fodder for conversation, now too many are controversial for what they say or don't say.

The weather always used to be a safe topic of conversation -- not any longer!

These are just a few and meant to be taken in the lighthearted spirit in which I offer them. I'm sure there are many more if one digs down...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Pop stars, sports teams, actors -- one cannot simply like/discuss them on the basis of their talent or success. 

Books -- used to be good fodder for conversation, now too many are controversial for what they say or don't say.

These are just a few and meant to be taken in the lighthearted spirit in which I offer them. I'm sure there are many more if one digs down...

I have had exactly one conservation on board about the paperback I was reading (always have one in my purse on ships) from a fellow who enjoyed the same author/series.  I have ignored numerous humblebrags about how they "only" read a electronic book.  

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Sadly yes. The inescapable conclusion seems to be that people generally have become so self-absorbed that they are unable to listen to (much less abide) opinions which differ from their own.

There really seems to be a “new man” - the old rules of discourse have been laid aside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

I have ignored numerous humblebrags about how they "only" read a electronic book.  

Sorry, I don't mean to make an example of you, but why do you have to use language like "humblebrag" when someone may only be trying to start a conversation with you. Saying that is a put down.

Language matters.

• Like 1

I was a bit bemused by that too.

I read paperbacks on holidays ( so I don't have to worry about leaving them on buses, by the pool etc which I would with my tablet) but I read ebooks at home.

Why would bringing that into a conversation be a brag? 

1 minute ago, Kristelle said:

I was a bit bemused by that too.

I read paperbacks on holidays ( so I don't have to worry about leaving them on buses, by the pool etc which I would with my tablet) but I read ebooks at home.

Why would bringing that into a conversation be a brag? 

I read ebooks at home and on the ship. I have lots of e books and can borrow directly from my local library on my Kobo E book reader. I used to also read paper books that I got from the ship’s library. Loved discovering something new that way. Unfortunately the mainstream cruises seem to have stopped stocking libraries. Sometimes when someone sees me reading on the Kobo they brag they only read paper books! Sort of like the folks who only use flip phones! But often they ask me what I am reading. That can be a good conversation whether reading paper or ebooks. A book is a book whether on paper or e-ink. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, kirtihk said:

I replied to myself accidentally (# 149).

I think it is OK to have political discussions with yourself.  Just not too loud.  Lol.  

• Haha 2

On 1/30/2024 at 6:06 PM, sunviking90 said:

Even among your table mates, political discussion should not be in the MDR or anywhere others can hear. On the Volendam a few months ago there was a fellow loudly telling his table mates all about what he’d seen on his “news” channel of choice, and spouting his opinions on the upcoming election in the US. Slowly the tables all around him cleared. We also left without dessert. 

Yikes.  Aren't loudmouths wonderful.   

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Sorry, I don't mean to make an example of you, but why do you have to use language like "humblebrag" when someone may only be trying to start a conversation with you. Saying that is a put down.

Language matters.

They aren't trying to start a conversation.  They see me pull out one of my well-read and loved books, they lift up their $$$ device and saying something like "I haven't read a (nose twitch) PAPERBACK in YEARS.  

Telling me, a stranger to you, what I really mean is condescending.  Intent matters.    

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I read ebooks at home and on the ship. I have lots of e books and can borrow directly from my local library on my Kobo E book reader. I used to also read paper books that I got from the ship’s library. Loved discovering something new that way. Unfortunately the mainstream cruises seem to have stopped stocking libraries. Sometimes when someone sees me reading on the Kobo they brag they only read paper books! Sort of like the folks who only use flip phones! But often they ask me what I am reading. That can be a good conversation whether reading paper or ebooks. A book is a book whether on paper or e-ink. 

I don't know the difference between a Kobo, a phone with virtual book in it or someone reading emails. If I can't see the book cover, there is no opening for a book conversation.  

Edmund Dantes says Kings to @cruisemom42 for demanding integrity in the regular posters.

Language Matters, Integrity Matters.

I once got flamed by a post that said I should "have my mouth washed out with Saltwater",

just because I applauded the concept of E-muster.  (and I spend alot of time in my saltwater pool and jacuzzi).

I wish more posters would follow her example.

Edited by JRG
spelling

6 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

They aren't trying to start a conversation.  They see me pull out one of my well-read and loved books, they lift up their $$$ device and saying something like "I haven't read a (nose twitch) PAPERBACK in YEARS.  

Telling me, a stranger to you, what I really mean is condescending.  Intent matters.    

I'll need to work on my response in advance.

I *HATE* e-books.

I may be oldfashioned... correction... I *am* oldfashioned in several ways (and PROUD OF IT! 😉 ).  

I *LOVE* the feel of a nice, comfortable book.  One with pages I can flip through to look back at something earlier.  (I'm visual with books, but not photographic memory.  I remember that "oh, *that* section was about an inch below the top of a left-hand page", so I can find it, etc.)

A book is a friend.  I disappear into the friend and could be gone for hours!

And I may well have a hard-cover book with me. 😁

<insert nose twitch!>

GC

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

I don't know the difference between a Kobo, a phone with virtual book in it or someone reading emails. If I can't see the book cover, there is no opening for a book conversation.  

When people see me reading with the Kobo they know I am reading a book. A Kobo has an e-ink screen. It is basically a Kindle but not from Amazon. I can borrow books directly from my local library so I prefer it over Kindles. A lot of people have e-ink readers, mostly Kindles in the US so they know I am reading a book. I don’t know about Kindle but my Kobo does not do emails. Another feature for me is that I can adjust the font size. These days I find it difficult to read paperbacks. The print is too small.  I can read the print in hardbacks but I don’t want to lug around hardcovers when traveling. Also usually on a cruise I read a book every day or two. So the ebook reader works better for my reading habits than packing paper books. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

I think e-readers are more like $, than $$$. 😀   

Seems very odd that this happens to you a lot.  I am happy to say I've never had a nose twitched at me on a cruise ship -- at least that I've noticed! 

Edited by ldubs

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Uh, I think e-readers are more like $, than $$$. 😀   

Seems very odd that this happens to you a lot.  I am happy to say I've never had a nose twitched at me on a cruise ship -- at least that I've noticed! 

They can be had pretty cheap. Mine was a little more because it is waterproof. We have a pool, a shallow pool with floating chairs and a hot tub so sometimes I read in the water. Can’t do that with paper. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2024 at 10:44 PM, Aquahound said:

My hope is that the reporting up there is much more factual and much less opinionated and satirical than it is down here.  However, based on the few conversations I've had with my northern friends, it is not. 🥺

Unfortunately it is not... because we are watching mostly American news stations like CNN.  And we all know that CNN is fully bipartisan.  Haha.

What I note is that many people go looking for the news that they want to consume and very little today is actually bipartisan and just the facts.  So, we merrily go around consuming news and information that satisfies our individual beliefs, morals, and needs for lack of another term

I consume a lot of Apple News daily.  What is always interesting is how many of the articles are purely opinion, and not fact based at all.  You can have three articles in the same week that are pure opinion with no actual fact that completely contradict each other.  

We tend to believe what we read in print.

I have friends that bring me ridiculous concepts and thoughts about the world today and when I ask where they heard this, the response is Facebook or TikTok or Instagram.  I am not suggesting that these social media don't have actual factual news from time to time, but we are so ready to consume any crap that is put on these platforms as fact and truth, that I am fearful for the generations to come. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

At first, I was going to disagree with you - after all, what could be LESS controversial than the weather?  Then I thought of two of my least favorite phrases of the past two decades - "global warming" and "climate change".  Both of those have become co-opted by various movements such that they've become political.

So many symbols, things, and words have become politically charged these days.  I find it a little sad and frustrating.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kirtihk said:

Since when did “hot” topics become uncivil?  I don’t remember them that way prior to around 9 years ago.  It appears, the worst in people was developed (or swam up to the surface) since then.

They become uncivil when people take a hard position which is often the case on hot button issues. In 2015 a discussion on abortion, gun control, immigration, racism, same sex marriage, religion, climate change would be every bit as potentially nasty as it would be today. 

I have opinions on all of above. I'm not interested in yours and won't impose mine on you. Lets discuss other subjects if cordial dinner conversation is the objective.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My funniest Kindle experience occurred on a cruise ship:  In 2009 before our Baltic cruise bought me a Kindle because he was tired of lugging all the books I took on cruises.  Half way through the cruise I was sitting in the theater waiting for the production to start when the young man (late teens/early 20s) sitting next to me seemed to be watching me intently.  I gave him a quizzical smile and he asked me about it.  In his last semester he had written a paper on e-books but had never seen a Kindle!  Could he look at it?  Of course.  What did I think of it?  I was already a convert for the very reason my DH had bought it.

17 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Sadly, you are right.  We have entered the age of self - folks seem to be increasingly opinionated (while often less well-informed), and, to put it bluntly, tend to act as if they were “brought up by wolves”.

It's not surprising since society has been trending toward this age of self-centeredness since the 50's, at least. 

No to politics.  I will discuss public sector topics as an exchange of ideas.  I mean true topics not controversies.  Things like who manages and distributes utilities in your area, new materials for roads, permit laws, etc…. Very mundane stuff to perhaps take home ideas to my own city council. Wars, elections and drama are not included