What are your thoughts on discussing politics in the MDR?

thermal

20 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

Talking politics is like talking about covid.Ā  Just don't.Ā  People are very passionate about both subjects.Ā Ā 

I would argue that the reason that talking about COVID is so bad is that it has become political.

Ā 

While I'm here, I'll briefly talk about another subject that I find awkward to talk about among strangers - health.Ā  I really don't want to hear about your maladies, and I really really don't want to talk about mine.Ā  Sometimes a cough or a sneeze is just a sneeze or a cough.Ā  I think the best response is just to say excuse me and move on.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

I read at the bar alot and travel solo.Ā  I think most solos experienceĀ  unsolicited commentsĀ Ā 

Ā 

I do quite a bit of reading in lounges too. Ā No one would know if I was traveling solo or traveling with someone. Ā Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Ā 

I do quite a bit of reading in lounges too. Ā No one would know if I was traveling solo or traveling with someone. Ā Ā 

Nosy Nellies assume sitting alone is an invitation especially at the bar counter

Edited by Elaine5715
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Nosy Nellies assume sitting alone is an invitation especially at the bar counter

Ā 

Even if intended as a conversation starter, people should quickly recognize when someone wants to just read their book.Ā 

On 1/28/2024 at 7:49 AM, K32682 said:

I'm not an American. When on a cruise I am on vacation. I have little or no interest in being subjected to a tedious discussion on the American political situation. Please keep them off the dinner table.

Ā 

I'd also appreciate if you didn't discuss race, gun control, religion, reproductive rights, immigration and other subjects on which Americans often strongly. I feel strongly about them too and might be tempted to square off.Ā 

Yes! I know what you mean.Ā  what is asked or brought up is "health care" and what my thoughts are?Ā šŸ¤”Ā šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļøĀ I never knew how to reply/defend/answer that question.Ā  Awkward moments for sure!Ā šŸ˜„

On 1/28/2024 at 6:44 PM, Kristelle said:

Ā 

Must be a cultural thing then.

I've never come across anyone felling it is uneccesarily intrusive - is a simple getting to know you question that people can answer in vague way if they have some secret service top job.

Ā 

I've found it extremely common for people to start conversations with that.

Ā 

And nothing about people is any of our business - but wouldn't be much conversation if we never asked people about themselves or shared about ourselves.

I never ask "what do you or did you do for a living?" Rather what kind of work were you involved in?" I see/feel the difference there but perhaps others don't.

I go on vacation to avoid hot societal topics. I want to escape the bull puckey! No religion, no money, no job talk, no politics. Even the weather is not safe.Ā 

How about......uh......hmmm.....you go first......šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, lahlah57 said:

How about......uh......hmmm.....you go first......šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«

Ā 

I sometimes break the ice with a good Star Trek joke,....

Ā 

....What Did Mr. Spock find in Captain Kirks restroom?

Ā 

Ā 

9 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I think it would be easier to list the things you can talk about as that would probably be a smaller listšŸ˜‚.Ā 

Ā 

True statement of the day.Ā  You just won this thread.Ā  Everyone else gets participation awards in order to not offend them.Ā šŸ˜

45 minutes ago, JRG said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

not sure if this is a joke, if so, ignore following comment -Ā  - whatever it is referring to would go completely over my head and seems a really strange way to start a conversation

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, clo said:

I never ask "what do you or did you do for a living?" Rather what kind of work were you involved in?" I see/feel the difference there but perhaps others don't.

Ā 

Ā 

CorrectĀ  - I don't.

Ā 

When I say people ask what you do/did for a livingĀ  I don't mean people neccesarily use those exact words, they ask something that will open that conversation

Ā 

which either of above sentences would do the same

Ā 

Ā 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

not sure if this is a joke, if so, ignore following comment -Ā  - whatever it is referring to would go completely over my head and seems a really strange way to start a conversation

A couple of 12 year old boys would have found this hilarious in 1967.Ā  If you don't, not to worry.

2 hours ago, JRG said:

Ā 

Ā 

Obviously you have been lucky you have not met the Trekie fan boy who wants to rant why all Star Trek post 2009 is a blasphemy ruining the legacy of a great sci fi universešŸ˜œ. And do not even think to mention you enjoy any new Star Trek lest you want an education as to why you are wrong to like itšŸ˜‚.Ā 

Edited by ilikeanswers

5 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Ā 

Obviously you have been lucky you have not met the Trekie fan boy who wants to rant why all Star Trek post 2009 is a blasphemy ruining the legacy of a great sci fi universešŸ˜œ. And do not even think to mention you enjoy any new Star Trek lest you want an education as to why you are wrong to like itšŸ˜‚.Ā 

Aha, so anything can be offensive, even a Star Trek joke. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Ā 

Ā 

Mmm, maybe better to start with "Which Spider-verse do you prefer?"

Ā 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

And do not even think to mention you enjoy any new Star Trek lest you want an education as to why you are wrong to like itšŸ˜‚.Ā 

Ā 

Never.Ā 

That would be a violation of My Prime Directive.Ā 

Ā 

Some people do not understand that the original Star Trek series is a collection of morality stories,Ā  much like Greek Mythology and Shakespeare.Ā  Ā  (They also think that Klingons are things that stick to your Charmin).

Ā 

Live Long and Prosper

Ā 

Edited by JRG
minor edit
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Mmm, maybe better to start with "Which Spider-verse do you prefer?"

Ā 

That would work too.Ā  Ā 

Ā 

But once I pull out the Greek and Shakespeare angle,Ā  Ā people open up and enjoy themselves in the conversations that ensue.Ā  verses harking it out over the usual minutiae.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Ā 

And, for all that you hold dear, NEVER mention Star Wars in a Star Trek conversation.Ā ā˜„ļø

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mom says said:

And, for all that you hold dear, NEVER mention Star Wars in a Star Trek conversation.Ā ā˜„ļø

Hold on. I don't confess this to many but I've never seen a single Star Trek!!!! I keep meaning. And I'm old as dirt šŸ™‚

• Like 1