Grand Buffet Gone

Mrs. Claypool

We recently came off Serenity’s 17-day voyage through the Panama Canal. We had 9 sea days during that time.

A few days before the end of the cruise, and still no sign of the Grand Buffet, either on the Cove or in the Marketplace. So I asked the Hotel Director when it was scheduled to be held?

”The Grand Buffet is history,” he replied. “The present owners have no intention of reviving it.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mrs. Claypool said:

We recently came off Serenity’s 17-day voyage through the Panama Canal. We had 9 sea days during that time.

A few days before the end of the cruise, and still no sign of the Grand Buffet, either on the Cove or in the Marketplace. So I asked the Hotel Director when it was scheduled to be held?

”The Grand Buffet is history,” he replied. “The present owners have no intention of reviving it.”

To be honest, like the "Midnight Buffet" of cruising years past, the Grand Buffett was an anachronism that was due to be dropped. Yes, it was an incredible feast to look at, but we, like many we talked to, rarely participated, and more often than not watched vast volumes of uneaten food be taken back into the MDR at the end. While some of it MAY have made its way to the crew dining room, I suspect most of it went into the waste disposal system. 

In the last two years we have sailed on Regent, Seabourn and Silversea, and with the exception of one of those lines, which one escapes me, and which only does it when Sunday is a sea day, Grand Buffets are a thing of the past. 

Edited by Roland4
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Roland4 said:

To be honest, like the "Midnight Buffet" of cruising years past, the Grand Buffett was an anachronism that was due to be dropped. Yes, it was an incredible feast to look at, but we, like many we talked to, rarely participated, and more often than not watched vast volumes of uneaten food be taken back into the MDR at the end. While some of it MAY have made its way to the crew dining room, I suspect most of it went into the waste disposal system. 

In the last two years we have sailed on Regent, Seabourn and Silversea, and with the exception of one of those lines, which one escapes me, and which only does it when Sunday is a sea day, Grand Buffets are a thing of the past. 

We were on Regent recently.  They do grand buffets, but only on Sundays that are also sea days and then, only once per cruise.  We attended a cooking demo hosted by the head chef.  A question was asked about food waste.  He said the only waste incurred was from the grand buffet.  Standards are such that the left over food could not even be served to the crew, but had to be disposed of. I agree it's an anachronism best left to a mention in a lecture about the history of passenger cruising.   

• Like 3

On the Holiday Cruise on New Year's Day they utilized Marketplace where they had a special brunch with some of the items that one would see at a Grand Gala Buffet.  Many people had the same view as I did which by having it in Marketplace it it avoids a lot of waste of food, is less prone to issues with food being out too long, avoids some of the issues of guests spreading germs to one another and to the food.  

In my early days of cruising I remember those late night buffets on lines. Times have changed. Or the indoor buffets held around the former indoor pool on each vessel.  Times have changed.

Keith

We did enjoy the Grand Buffet in our previous cruises with Crystal. It is a pity that is gone. In order to avoid food waste, it could have been done on a reduced scale or regularly once per sailing at the market place, but I think the main reason is to reduce costs.

By the way, the food at the market place is also food waste afterwards. Two sections of the market place serving the same food is not a great offer in terns of options either. Lots of food remaining at the end. I have asked what happens with this food afterwards, if the crew gets some, and the answer was that the remaining food is discarded. 

Ivi

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Regent does a Sunday Grand Buffet at sea.

• Like 2

Question in regards to food waste, my understanding is that if the food has been placed at the serving station and is still there when the venue closes, it must be thrown away. However, things prepared but still in the galley can be used again, either for guests or the crew galley. Correct or no?

Patty

Edited by Texas Tillie

36 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Question in regards to food waste, my understanding is that if the food has been placed at the serving station and is still there when the venue closes, it must be thrown away. However, things prepared but still in the galley can be used again, either for guests or the crew galley. Correct or no?

Patty

This is my understanding as well.  

Keith

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Cruise said:

I forgot to mention, I saw people on Regent’s Gala Sunday Brunch 

actually touching the food to see if it was real, and then walked

away.

We did a TA on Splendor in November 2022. We went to the Gala Brunch, and while it was okay for the most part, the Eggs Benedict were stone cold. It was like they were prepared ahead (as I am sure they were) and stuck in the refrigerator, then served under heat lamps, that did nothing for them. My guess is all of them, and it was huge display, went uneaten!

In agreement with the majority here. 

I’ve rarely indulged in the Grand Buffet aside from viewing/photographing as something of a spectacle! 

Now the old poolside lunch buffets of days past? I still really miss those! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, BEAV said:

In agreement with the majority here. 

I’ve rarely indulged in the Grand Buffet aside from viewing/photographing as something of a spectacle! 

Now the old poolside lunch buffets of days past? I still really miss those! 

It got to be that I'd go to check out how the hard boiled egg penguins were decorated. Never did take even one! 🤪

Patty

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In our early days we did eat at the Grand Buffet and on other lines we ate at the Midnight Buffet.  But this was then and today is now

Times have changed.

For several years we would take photos of the buffet and eat at Market Place.

Keith 

• Like 5

On 2/13/2024 at 1:43 PM, Roland4 said:

It’s Regent but only on the Explorer class newer ships 

Have to say I didn’t see a lot of food wasted on the couple of occasions we saw the “grand buffet” which was actually a brunch timed affair 

22 hours ago, John Cruise said:

I forgot to mention, I saw people on Regent’s Gala Sunday Brunch 

actually touching the food to see if it was real, and then walked

away.

You as likely to see that at ANY buffet regardless of brand of line - some people have no idea on the most basic hygiene 

Certainly not my preferred approach

We enjoyed the style on Explora Journeys at the various stations in the Emporium Market Place where the food (which was excellent I might add) was served to your plate by staff and it was located behind perspex displays. This is hopefully the way of the future 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

We saw pax over indulging

You mean we are NOT supposed to over-indulge on a Crystal cruise?  There goes the plates and plates of sushi at Umi.

Guess it's back to the buffets on Carnival.

😀

• Haha 4

On 2/13/2024 at 7:03 AM, Keith1010 said:

On the Holiday Cruise on New Year's Day they utilized Marketplace where they had a special brunch with some of the items that one would see at a Grand Gala Buffet.  Many people had the same view as I did which by having it in Marketplace it it avoids a lot of waste of food, is less prone to issues with food being out too long, avoids some of the issues of guests spreading germs to one another and to the food.  

In my early days of cruising I remember those late night buffets on lines. Times have changed. Or the indoor buffets held around the former indoor pool on each vessel.  Times have changed.

Keith

yes, I must agree with you  - on my very first cruise in 1983 there was a Norwegian lunch buffet , every night there were special finger  sandwiches ( garnished )   and last evening also something special. 

On my only P&O there was nothing like that but in 1989 on the original Royal Princess lavish midnight buffets with far too much food. 

On Vistafjord there was free aquavit served and that was the problem as drinks were not complimentary - a lot of drunk guests. 

On other luxury liners there were galley lunches , deck BBQ, jazz  brunches and walking buffets,  Italian and Asian buffets ... on QE2 a transatlantic buffet.

Indeed times and cruising did change  -  are midnight buffets still existing ? 

I did like the special pastries - French style -  on Crystal gala buffet. 

The reason of course is the financial aspect and the waste.

As an avid cruise pax on MS Europa 2 , I have the best buffets  , for breakfast lunch and diner , in the evening oysters and lobsters daily available. 

Up to 10 cold cuts and up to 15 cheese availble.  

22 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

You as likely to see that at ANY buffet regardless of brand of line - some people have no idea on the most basic hygiene 

Certainly not my preferred approach

We enjoyed the style on Explora Journeys at the various stations in the Emporium Market Place where the food (which was excellent I might add) was served to your plate by staff and it was located behind perspex displays. This is hopefully the way of the future 

I did like the policy  but i disagree with you about the quality of the food.  Soft ice in the evening???

On 2/13/2024 at 9:26 AM, Texas Tillie said:

Patty

Interesting 🤔 . I had no idea that remaining food they prepare to be served for lunch at the Market Place but they have not taken out of the Galley, could be reused again for the guests or the crew 😲 Do you mean they will keep it for next day for lunch? Or for the evening at the Waterside or other restaurant?

In relation to the food remaining at the Market Place which has been displayed, for sure is a waste of food. It happens in all buffets on all cruise lines. The only way cruise lines would have to avoid this, is not to offer buffets. But this is unrealistic.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin